Highway 146 Expansion Threatens Seabrook Businesses

Subdude

June 6, 2007, 9:09AM

Texas 146 expansion pushing businesses off the road

Project could ease congestion, but it will put merchants along the Seabrook highway at risk

By RUTH RENDON

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The parking lot at Neptune Subs in Seabrook is being eliminated to make way for, well, cars.

The sandwich shop — and its parking lot that abuts Texas 146 — is one of more than 40 businesses along the increasingly busy highway that are being eliminated or affected by a planned roadway expansion. The highway that cuts through Seabrook and neighboring Kemah serves as a hurricane evacuation route for residents in Galveston County and southeast Harris County.

Every morning and afternoon the roadway goes through major gridlock. On weekends, the bridge over the Clear Creek channel connecting the two communities is backed up with tourists heading to the popular Kemah Boardwalk.

City and state officials point to the expansion between Red Bluff and just south of FM 518 as necessary.

"This roadway has become very heavily congested," said Hassan Nikooei, transportation engineer and project manager for the Texas Department of Transportation. "It cannot handle the traffic that it already has. Even if we widen this short segment through Seabrook and Kemah, it still will be over capacity."

Texas 146 serves not only as a hurricane evacuation route but also as an alternative to Interstate 45 for commuters who work in Houston. Many residents in Seabrook, Kemah and east League City prefer taking Texas 146, to Texas 225 and Loop 610 to make their way into downtown.

Link

:D definitely true! the drawbridge is sorely missed.

Concur, its not longer A Summer Place :lol: just a summer traffic jam. :wacko:

The two kids in this avatar will have to go somewhere else for private smooching.

I hope they are talking about businesses on the west side of 146. Yeah, Tookies would be missed if they eliminated those properties too. Do you all remember Curly's Ice House on that small triangle piece of property at NASA Rd #1 and 146? It was no bigger than one cars length on all three sides.

I hope they are talking about businesses on the west side of 146. Yeah, Tookies would be missed if they eliminated those properties too. Do you all remember Curly's Ice House on that small triangle piece of property at NASA Rd #1 and 146? It was no bigger than one cars length on all three sides.

The little building is still there! and they remodeled really neat like stucco with a hacienda/mediterranean appearance. I could never figure out how they water the cactus plants on the top. Check it out.

Most of you know where Rose's Fish Market and others are below the bridge right? I forget the street name but its the one you cross as you enter the fish area. As you leave and continue it starts to wind and meander and you see all those cool beach homes high on stilts. As you keep heading straight there are some beautiful older homes kind of looks like The Hamptons. Sad part, they just crammed about 2 huge housing developments on the left of the narrow road. Those new nabes destroyed the small village aura big time. I knew the end was near when those realtor billboards went up. Even the little cranes and wildlife have fled this scene. Can't blame them. -_- Others down the road like Bacliff, El Lago will soon succumb to the crowds.

The little building is still there! and they remodeled really neat like stucco with a hacienda/mediterranean appearance. I could never figure out how they water the cactus plants on the top. Check it out.

with cacti, nature does its thing.

Most of you know where Rose's Fish Market and others are below the bridge right? I forget the street name but its the one you cross as you enter the fish area. As you leave and continue it starts to wind and meander and you see all those cool beach homes high on stilts. As you keep heading straight there are some beautiful older homes kind of looks like The Hamptons. Sad part, they just crammed about 2 huge housing developments on the left of the narrow road. Those new nabes destroyed the small village aura big time. I knew the end was near when those realtor billboards went up. Even the little cranes and wildlife have fled this scene. Can't blame them. -_- Others down the road like Bacliff, El Lago will soon succumb to the crowds.

the entire area has changed. quite a few coworkers live over there and it used to be Mayberry.....

Isn't that the point of cactus -- you don't have to water them?

Right, but they have more than just cactus on top of the tiny building. The point is if they wipe out all the little places everyone mentioned here, its adios to what made the area "unique". Tookies has been there forever so just the thought of them going away is just plain depressing. What's next? get rid of the fish markets below the bridge? That would be the end of the end.

In case anyone hasnt been to this place check it out before it vanishes. Maas Nursery at the end of the little road I mentioned above (somewhere). Its past the beach homes that resemble Martha's Vineyard. No kidding. Although they specialize in exotic plants there is a petting zoo area and the place just looks like it belongs in Florida ala Key West. Its free too. As you walk around they have tropical type music playing throughout the whole place. Could double as Gilligan's Island set. I was going to place this under a topic someone started months ago of unknown getaways in Houston but I got selfish & didnt want to let others know. But what the heck. Since wer'e all related go check it out. Kids will love this place. Go before developers kick them out. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Got a real close up look at the new roller coaster at the Boardwalk. Parked right next to it. It seems larger from a distance. It really wont be that big at all. Ironically, it is within feet of several beach homes. Couldnt stop thinking of the noise they will endure when that coaster gets going. Then add the screaming riders. The coaster is being built with mostly wood 4x4s and 4x6's.

Now here is one nabe where tiny narrow streets are appropriate. It really has that New England feel to it. :P The area behind The City Hall that is. Love those weekend homes. You should see how they construct the big expansive stairs as you enter the homes.

• 3 months later...

Yesterday, a friend of mine was talking to his good friend Vinny that owns Neptune Subs on 146. Vinny told him that the expansion project was put on hold until 2015 for financial reasons. And yes, when it does take place they will buy out Neptune Subs. Vinny said that its so far in the future that hes not making any plans to relocate as of yet.

• The title was changed to Highway 146 Expansion Threatens Seabrook Businesses

Archived