Residents In Subdivisions At Highway 288 And FM 518

brain

I heard that some insurance companies are reluctant to cover Storm and Hail in their hazard insurance for Homeowners in 288/FM 518 area. OR if they do, they charge a hefty premium. Is it correct?

A Request for Residents in subdivisions close to 288 and FM 518 : How much are you paying for Hazard Insurance ? Does it include Wind and Hail ? Who is the insurance Provider ? Did it change significantly after Rita ?

Thanks.

It depends on whether you are in Brazoria County or not. Since 518/288 is Brazoria county then yes you will have a hard time buying all inclusive homeowners insurance. You will have to do what the rest of us do which is buy your homeowners insurance excluding hail and windstorm coverage which is what hurricane coverage is under, and then buy a seperate policy from the Texas Windstorm pool which is a state mandated fund that covers Tier I risk areas. Tier I areas are all coastal counties (which Brazoria is) and certain other areas that are not in coastal counties but are subject to storm damage. The Deer Park, La Porte, Seabrok and Kemah areas that are in Harris county but subject to storm damage are in the same boat as Coastal counties. For $244K ok coverage on my house I pay just over $2,000 a year for the two policies.

The only insurance company I have heard of that is still writing comprehensive policies that include storm damage is State Farm, and then they will only do it if you have your auto insurance with them as well. I was with Allstate and effective with my renewal in February they decided to stop writing storm coverage. That lead me to talk to a friend who sells Farmers Insurance and deciding to go with him. Good luck with your insurance if your looking for it but just accept the fact that to live in the area you will probably have to get the seperate windstorm coverage.

That lead me to talk to a friend who sells Farmers Insurance and deciding to go with him.

I am with Farmers too..... Had to change last year after Texas Lloyd's went out of business in the area (They offered full coverage).

Farmers policy for $318k coverage in my house is $500/year. TEXAS WINDSTORM for the same $318k is $1300 (with a 2% deductible).

Wasn't here before Rita, but my guess is Yes, things changed considerably after it.

USAA won't cover windstorm in Brazoria county, so they recommended I get the one underwriten by the state or fed for like $1100 per year. That's on top of the $1200 or so we were paying for the rest of homeowner's insurance. I passed and moved to Allstate, which included the Wind storm.

I hadn't heard that they dropped windstorm, so I'll need to go check that. My rates didn't significantly go down, that's for sure. I pay All state around $220 / month, but that includes 2 vehicles as well. I think it's about $115 for homeowners, and $105 for cars.

When Allstate said they would no longer cover Windstorm I checked with GEICO homeowners, Farmers, Allstate Direct (no agent) and several others. All of them said no to all inclusive insurance and I was forced to split the policy. I pay Farmers for normal homeowners, and the Texas Windstorm Insurance Pool for the Hail and Windstorm coverage.

I have State Farm, but also was required to go with the Texas Windstorm Assoc. for wind & hail. I recall seeing an ad (6 mo. ago) in Pearland for all-inclusive coverage from Farmers. I bought in the area after Rita & pay approx. 2K/yr. for 200K or so of coverage on both policies.

I get the feeling this is kind of high, but I do like the fact that we have a "better" building code in the area. For example, my house in SCR is within a few miles of both Harris and Ft. Bend counties, but has hurricane straps, etc. Not sure that houses in the other counties do? In NW Brazoria, we're about as far as you can be from the coast & still have these codes (I think).

Sounds like people in this thread are having different experiences even with similar insurance companies. May have to do with your history with a company, pre/post Rita, etc. I've had State Farm my whole life, but was a renter previously. Glad you asked this, I'll be curious to see the different responses.......

I talked to my Allstate agent. He said it's true that they are relooking at windstorm coverage for Brazoria county, and a decision will be made by my next renewal in October. Bummer.

• 6 months later...
I have State Farm, but also was required to go with the Texas Windstorm Assoc. for wind & hail.

Sounds like people in this thread are having different experiences even with similar insurance companies. May have to do with your history with a company, pre/post Rita, etc. I've had State Farm my whole life, but was a renter previously. Glad you asked this, I'll be curious to see the different responses.......

Interesting. I've also had State Farm for many years (auto and renters). I am currently building a new home in Brazoria county, and I contacted by agent recently to find out about windstorm coverage. They said they would write a separate policy for it, provided that I supply them with a completed WPI-8 inspection form. My agent is John Phelps in Pasadena. It does seem like we're hearing differently things from the same company.

• The title was changed to Residents In Subdivisions At Highway 288 And FM 518

Archived