What Is A McMansion?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously there's no "correct" definition. The term is obviously derogatory and the first time I saw it was on Old House Web many years ago, so it probably came from old-house preservationist "snobs" (like me) who were being indignant about 1) tearing down an old house, no matter how small and run down it was and 2) the apparent pompous attitude that one of these houses carries with it to many. Way more square feet than needed for the family, and pseudo-impressive facades that appear to be trying to impress others, and a complete disregard for the others in the neighborhood (although many probably think the neighbors should thank them for driving values up). Just smacking of materialism and self-centeredness, 2 qualities that arouse the hidden wrath in many baby-boomer/yuppie/hippies that live in these old urban neighborhoods, these McMansion wars really pit 2 opposing philosophies against one another.

Although I wouldn't want them in my neighborhood, even if the property values went up, I have become more accepting of them as a pure and natural symbol of our times, and one day, if they don't fall apart, they will be looked upon with the same reverent regard as the bungalows that they are replacing.

From Word Spy

http://www.wordspy.com

McMansion noun. - A large, opulent house, especially a new house that has a size and style that doesn't fit in with the surrounding houses.

------------------------

So, according to this Bellaire is groud zero for McMansions.

The 3,000 s/f example just does not work, especially if its surrouned by houses that are similar.

I liked how one of Pineda's articles (thanks, by the way) defined McMansion. It is any recently constructed residential structure of a neo-traditional style of an inappropriate size for its lot and of an inappropriate size for its intended inhabitants (my paraphrasing.) Who's to say what's appropriate? Those newer houses in West U surely fit that definition unless one considers the fact that West U is undeniably close-in real estate and most of those new constructions are just detached, seemingly high-quality townhouses. Would preserving a low-slung bungalow style neighborhood in that location really be appropriate today? I don't have the answer but I can offer one person's attempt at this type of preservation: Dominique de Menil's effort at saving a remnant of old Montrose in buying as many of the bungalows surrounding her planned art museum site and painting them one unifying color, Menil gray. She saved one tiny part of an old neighborhood that would surely be a primo location for McMansions and thanks to her vision, generations long after we're gone can see what Montrose was once like.

For the most part, I have to say I don't really mind what the gentrifying aspect has done to my property values. I'm increasingly nervous, however, because my rapidly escalating property taxes are also rapidly overtaking my slowly escalating cash flow. I really don't want to live outside the Loop as this is where my friends are and where the things I'm interested in are located. But...

What is everyones' deal with wanting to live "on the water". All these developers are doing is creating more breeding ground for mosquitoes. Besides, why would you want to live next to a stagnant body of water? Real lakes are connected by rivers & streams people

Humans are naturally drawn to the water. Some believe that because of our physical composition being mainly water, that we are inherently drawn there. If you study populations around the United States, you will find a majority of people inevitably drawn to the coasts or any body of water available.

Another point, developers are being increasingly forced to build detention ponds as mitigation for the run-off created by laying more concrete and removing natural soil absorption of rainwater. This eats into their profit potential by making them put in (in their minds) worthless holes in the ground, so really, they are just turning lemons into lemonade when they put housing on the "shorelines" of these man-made reservoirs and call them "lake-front living at its' finest".

One more point, see link listed below for information regarding Caddo Lake. It was the only "natural lake" in Texas until it was dammed. The-only-natural-lake-in-Texas! Boggles the mind, doesn't it? If you've never been to Caddo Lake, make plans to visit soon. It is hauntingly beautiful and serene and a must-see!

Caddo Lake

I really don't see a problem with new hood full of Mc Mansion's. It's when they are next to little old homes is when it becomes a problem.

The M Streets Preservation Districit is a great idea. That's my favorite part of Dallas, mainly becuaes it reminds me of Houston.

• 1 month later...

I think a McMansion is pretty much a house that is more focused on quantity than quality. They're always big (2500 sf plus) but hardly ever tasteful or detailed. They are extremely comfortable but also extremely sterile. And location has nothing to do with it. A McMansion is a McMansion whether it's in West U. or Sugar Land.

Just out of curiousity, what do people do with all that space?

I grew up in a smallish, circa 1870 farmhouse. My parents, two brothers and sister managed to get by with three bedrooms, and a total square footage of perhaps 1700, at best. This was the norm, not very many years ago.

I did not (and do not) think that we were in any way deprived. I'm suprised that these "Focus on the Family" groups haven't tackled this issue (and perhaps that reference belongs in the Way Off Topic section - forgive me). When space is limited, families by necessity have to get along with each other, amuse each other, cooperate with one another. There wasn't a lot of places to escape the prying eyes of family members. Since there was only one TV set, our viewing habits were closely monitored. If someone was practicing the piano, the TV set was turned off. If we had guests, the TV was turned off, and we were expected to be polite. Is this a disadvantage?

Why do smaller families need so much more room? Is it that they just can't stand to be around each other? Or is it that much of the house is comprised of 'trophy rooms', which are there purely for show? And imagine having to clean a 5000 sq. ft. house! There's also (for the socially aware) questions of land usage, raw materials and future energy requirements.

I'd be less dismissive of McMansions if they served some higher purpose - perhaps serving as orphanages, or such. I think building a full-size replica of Barbie's Dream House falls somewhere between hilarious and disgusting.

• 3 months later...

My mom doesn't use the term but she doesn't like how some of the smaller homes are being torn down.

However, the smaller homes are not as high up as the newer homes and therefore are vulnerable for flooding. Allison pretty much was the catalyst for the new home building in the neighborhood!

There are some beautiful and unique new homes in the area. Perhaps I should take pictures?

Perhaps the desire for a McMansion is partially fueled by the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality, but it might also have something to do with a term that used to be pretty prevalent, but I haven't heard for a while, "rampant consumerism". You need a bigger place to store all your STUFF. Interesting food for thought article:

the Ables vs. the Binges

Loved the parable.

I believe the term "McMansion" came about to describe, not just the tract home quality of an oversized house and its often ill-fitting location, but at least as importantly, the mindset of one who feels the need to own it.

As was posted earlier, I, like many others, grew up in a family of 9 in a 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath home and loved it. (Imagine the fun of 4 brothers in one oversized bedroom.) Now, there are those who can't fit their 2 kids in anything less than 3000 sq feet.

The repulsion felt by many at seeing the pretentous displays by people whose lives are apparently meaningless without the material things they possess, and the waste of valuable space and resources used to fuel this shallow existence, gave rise to the derisive term known as McMansion.

Given that the term refers to the mindset required to buy one as much as the dwelling itself, you will find them everywhere, not just in gentrified neighborhoods...they are just more offensive there.

To me a "McMansion" is to a Home what "McDonalds" is to food.

It's adequate, "affordable", the ingredients are barely adequate, and they're all over the damned place.

For the most part, I don't think the quality of the construction isn't as solid has it appears to be.

first to astro - do you live in an original house in bellaire, or are you in one built recently?

as far as saving the older homes - yes, some are in disrepair and may not be worth restoring to some. i witnessed several friends' homes (i grew up in bellaire) go on the wayside because their parents couldn't afford to maintain it because of the rising cost of living...and eventually, they had to move away.

a few of the newer homes i have seen are nice looking to me - and somewhat original...but they are few and far between (imo). they are also really really close to the neighbors, they have teeny backyards for the most part, and they are constructed rather quickly i have noticed. they are also causing ecological issues...

and bellaire is having to overhaul sewage and draining systems because they is so much more crap and water to deal with.

and to redscare - i agree that there might be a certain mindset when one buys a "mcmansion." alot of the neighbors are young, have boring jobs that must pay well, have at least two really nice cars, and maybe a kid or two (oh - can't forget about that debt!). they seem like nice people with different priorities, perhaps.

I believe the term "McMansion" came about to describe, not just the tract home quality of an oversized house and its often ill-fitting location, but at least as importantly, the mindset of one who feels the need to own it.

Also, by now I'd say at least 50% of Bellaire's original housing stock has been replaced by mansions in the last 10-15 years so you can no longer say they don't fit in with the neighborhood--they are the new neighborhood now.

• 3 weeks later...
another requisite for "le mc mansion"

cut down big trees!  (mcmansion blurred to protect the guilty... :rolleyes: )

I am guessing this is Bellaire (judging by the street sign). That is actually kind of surprising because most of the new construction seems to keep the trees that were originally on the lot. They are always fenced off during construction, and I can not remember passing by any new construction with a tree trunk on the curb, or even seeing a lot where I remembered one that has been cut down.

perhaps - and i am definitley not saying that all or even most new homes uproot the older trees...

i did see fences around trees on two lots next to each other - today, the trees are not there - there are half-dead toothpicks instead. these are, however, placed closer to the street than the previous tree(s), which may indicate that they were too large to give adequate room for the house, or they were afraid of root systems (which is probably BS)

• 3 years later...

Way to revive a 4-year-old topic, I know. ^_^

But... this discussion was very interesting to me. Anyone have any new thoughts on the McMansion trend around the city? Seems like it's only accelerated since 2005.

Some random observations:

• It seems to me that speculative buliding is an essential component of McMansionism. Many of the so-called "teardowns" are really being bought by builders with the idea of building a 4,000sf house and selling it at a profit.
  • Also, re: "teardowns", at what point is it actually OK to replace a house? I'm quite sure that many of the houses replaced over the decades/century in Houston were quite deserving of the wrecking ball. Is it really such a bad thing that modern safety/construction standards be continuously implemented in aging neighborhoods? And considering the cost of retrofitting/updating many houses built in the 50's (e.g.), it isn't unimaginable that it's worth starting anew. There probably aren't many people still living in original 1850's pioneer dugouts--there's a reason for that.
  • Now, I do think most of these replacement "McMansions" are built to unfortunately low standards. Also, I think the lust for square footage is unproductive. However, the economic realities of real estate dictate that it just isn't a good idea to spend $1mil on a really detailed, finely appointed 2,000 sf house. No matter how much you like it, it will never sell. I personally would rather live in that house, but it would just be foolish to build/buy it.

Archived