Texas Tech & Texas A&M University Game Should Have Spot Reserved At Jerry World

http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sport...ory/116307.html

Some good points brought up in the FW Star-Telegram. $4-$5 Million each team, each year, no revenue split with the Big 12. Might be too much money and recruiting advantages to turn down. Especially if you, in the case of A&M, don't want to get left out of the deal altogether - allowing Okie State to take its place.

While I think the Cotton Bowl, in its present form, is a dump...it'll be nicer after the renovation and the State Fair atmosphere around the Texas/OU game is unparalleled. But Jerry World offers something a bit different, likely more $$$, a different venue which is billed to be "world class" as well as a different identity.

The A&M athletic department has wanted a Metroplex A&M/Tech game for years, but one factor prevented it from happening: Robert Gates. He believed that, while it may bring in a lot of money, it would hurt the program in the long run because the game would be a clear second billing to the Texas/OU game. Now that there's a new stadium though, it might be a good idea to get squatter's rights. At any rate, I don't see anything holding this up on the A&M side now that Gates is gone.

And by the way, it sure would be nice if HOUSTON got one of these big rivalry games, at least something bigger than Rice/UH. A&M/LSU would be the logical choice, especially as the two are historic rivalries, but from what I understand, A&M doesn't want to give attention to LSU in Texas on account of recruiting.

Isn't there an existing thread on what a bad idea this is? Tech vs A&M seems like a one sided rivalry even if Tech has beat Aggy lately.

As far as Houston hosting some out of town teams, that makes no sense either. A&M has been invited to play Houston and Rice in football but have so far refused. Instead they prefer to host Citadels and Directional U.

I don't blame them. Why miss out on the cash?

I really think the only reasons that these teams should consider playing outside of their home stadiums is the tradition associated with the State Fair of Texas.

They will not get that tradition or anything close to the surrounding events at "Jerryworld" or any other NFL stadium.

If they don't want to be part of the State Fair festivities, they would be better off to stay home and keep the local revenues to themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
Isn't there an existing thread on what a bad idea this is? Tech vs A&M seems like a one sided rivalry even if Tech has beat Aggy lately.

I agree that the two teams shouldn't be called a rivalry but what I don't understand is what you meant by "...even if Tech has beat Aggy lately." Just wanted to run some scores past you.

Scores from the Past 12 Years

• 2006 TTU 31- A&M 27
  • 2005 TTU 56- A&M 17
  • 2004 A&M 32- TTU 25
  • 2003 TTU 59- A&M 28
  • 2002 TTU 48- A&M 47
  • 2001 TTU 12- A&M 0
  • 2000 A&M 33- TTU 15
  • 1999 TTU 21- A&M 19
  • 1998 A&M 17- TTU 10
  • 1997 TTU 16- A&M 13
  • 1996 TTU 13- A&M 10
  • 1995 TTU 14- A&M 7

Big Twelve South Rankings Over the Past 5 Years

• 2006 A&M 3 TTU 4
  • 2005 TTU 2 A&M 4
  • 2004 TTU 3 A&M 4
  • 2003 TTU 4 A&M 5
  • 2002 TTU 3 A&M 5

So Tech has won 9 out of the last 12 games and has ended the season ranked higher 4 out of the last 5 years. I don't know about you but I consider twelve years more then just lately. If these two teams don't draw a crowd out to Jerry's new stadium I don't know what will.

Rivals.com lists this game as one of the Top new Rivalries in College Football

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content....&CID=686258

JerryWorld is offering more $$$ than the Cotton Bowl is offering, it also helps that Tech/A&M will have a newer and better venue all to themselves (rather than piggybacking on Texas/OU's long history in the Red River Rivalry. They're now talking an estimated $5 million/per school each year for this game, which is pretty significant money because in a regular 2-year home & home exchange, the home team is the only team to get the gate receipts.

Under the current setup:

Year 1 @ A&M - A&M gets $3.5 Million, Tech gets $0

Year 2 @ Tech - A&M gets $0, Tech gets $3 Million

Whereas JerryWorld is offering:

Year 1 @ JerryWorld - A&M gets $5 Million, Tech gets $5 Million

Year 2 @ JerryWorld - A&M gets $5 Million, Tech gets $5 Million

Therefore, A&M which pulls in about $3.5 million per HOME game and Tech which pulls in about $3 million per HOME game would now get $10 million/each during a typical home & home series over 2-years. That's around $7 million more to each school than they would've had during a typical home & home exchange. Of course, if for some reason A&M doesn't do it, they've got OSU as a standby opponent for Tech...so there's an opportunity cost involved for A&M. If they don't jump on it, two of their Big 12 South brethren will both be quite a bit richer and will enjoy more opportunites for exposure in the nation's most fertile recruiting ground.

It's no wonder Bill Byrne and Gerald Myers are so excited about this game. Fans of both schools who were decidedly opposed to moving a valuable home game seem to be warming to the idea as well now that JerryWorld has made their pitch.

grandentrancexu2.png

I agree that the two teams shouldn't be called a rivalry but what I don't understand is what you meant by "...even if Tech has beat Aggy lately." Just wanted to run some scores past you.

Scores from the Past 12 Years

• 2006 TTU 31- A&M 27
  • 2005 TTU 56- A&M 17
  • 2004 A&M 32- TTU 25
  • 2003 TTU 59- A&M 28
  • 2002 TTU 48- A&M 47
  • 2001 TTU 12- A&M 0
  • 2000 A&M 33- TTU 15
  • 1999 TTU 21- A&M 19
  • 1998 A&M 17- TTU 10
  • 1997 TTU 16- A&M 13
  • 1996 TTU 13- A&M 10
  • 1995 TTU 14- A&M 7

Big Twelve South Rankings Over the Past 5 Years

• 2006 A&M 3 TTU 4
  • 2005 TTU 2 A&M 4
  • 2004 TTU 3 A&M 4
  • 2003 TTU 4 A&M 5
  • 2002 TTU 3 A&M 5

So Tech has won 9 out of the last 12 games and has ended the season ranked higher 4 out of the last 5 years. I don't know about you but I consider twelve years more then just lately. If these two teams don't draw a crowd out to Jerry's new stadium I don't know what will.

I agree with Midtown Coog, believe it or not, that there is no Tech/A&M rivalry. To Aggies, Tech isn't on the same level as A&M is. You have the Aggies, Longhorns, Sooners, Cornhuskers and then everyone else in the Big 12. Tech isn't on the same stage. It's hard to build a rivalry when both teams aren't at the same level. I know Tech fans hate to hear this b/c they believe they belong at the same level, but until Tech starts winning conference titles in any sport, they'll stay the little brother to the bigger schools.

I've heard current Aggie students might feel more of a "rivalry" but to old Ags, we don't even entertain the notion. Texas is our one and only rival. To begin a "rivalry" game with Tech would be to lower our reputation to Tech's level, something we don't want or need.

I agree with Midtown Coog, believe it or not, that there is no Tech/A&M rivalry. To Aggies, Tech isn't on the same level as A&M is. You have the Aggies, Longhorns, Sooners, Cornhuskers and then everyone else in the Big 12. Tech isn't on the same stage. It's hard to build a rivalry when both teams aren't at the same level. I know Tech fans hate to hear this b/c they believe they belong at the same level, but until Tech starts winning conference titles in any sport, they'll stay the little brother to the bigger schools.

I've heard current Aggie students might feel more of a "rivalry" but to old Ags, we don't even entertain the notion. Texas is our one and only rival. To begin a "rivalry" game with Tech would be to lower our reputation to Tech's level, something we don't want or need.

Thats fine, read my first line again I guess you missed it. I am right there with you that A&M is not Techs rival. I wouldn't want that situation for Tech. I do think Tech still needs to work on some of its sports to bring them up to the level of the schools that have been around for about 50 years longer. But you are wrong that Techs football is not on the same level as UT, OU, and NU cause they are now. A&M is just now trying to pull itself back up to that level after falling off 15 years ago.

I really didn't want to start this conversation though, I don't really like talking about it anymore, it is a conversation that has more then run its course. The point I was making is that this would be a great game to move to Dallas that would benfit the universities financially as well as letting the rest of the U.S. see how competitive the Big Twelve has become.

Hilarious.

Go take a look at TexAgs.com and see how often they whine about Texas Tech.

As for Aggies not thinking Tech is on the same level? You're right. Tech is better.

The Sporting News ranked the Big 12 programs, over the past 5 years, the Top 3 football programs in the Big 12: UT, OU, Texas Tech

Lindy's ranked the Big 12 programs, over the past 4 years, the Top 3 football programs in the Big 12: UT, OU, Texas Tech

Do you want to know where Aggy ranked? Doubt it.

What is A&M's bowl record over the past 5 years (Tech is 4-1)?

Would you like to go back further?

What was Jackie Sherrill's record against Texas Tech?

Who leads the series since they've played in the same Conference (SWC & Big 12)?

What is A&M's cumulative Big 12 record? What is Tech's? What is A&M's record vs. Tech during that span?

Needless to say, the ass-kickings will continue.

I've never quite understood the "tech is not our rival" argument on TexAgs. Historically, yes, Texas is the rival, but saying that Aggies do not care that Tech is whipping our butts every year is about as silly as Longhorn fans saying that only OU is their rival, not A&M.

As for the "Melee in The Mid-Cities", if Jerryworld is now promising $10 million a year in payouts, 2 things should happen. One, A&M and Tech should take it. Two, given that the fans in the seats must pony up the 10 mil, I will not be there. Ticket prices would need to be at or over $100 to cover payouts, and parking and concessions will make this a $200 per person adventure or more...just for the game. Count me out.

Hilarious.

Go take a look at TexAgs.com and see how often they whine about Texas Tech.

As for Aggies not thinking Tech is on the same level? You're right. Tech is better.

The Sporting News ranked the Big 12 programs, over the past 5 years, the Top 3 football programs in the Big 12: UT, OU, Texas Tech

Lindy's ranked the Big 12 programs, over the past 4 years, the Top 3 football programs in the Big 12: UT, OU, Texas Tech

Do you want to know where Aggy ranked? Doubt it.

What is A&M's bowl record over the past 5 years (Tech is 4-1)?

Would you like to go back further?

What was Jackie Sherrill's record against Texas Tech?

Who leads the series since they've played in the same Conference (SWC & Big 12)?

What is A&M's cumulative Big 12 record? What is Tech's? What is A&M's record vs. Tech during that span?

Needless to say, the ass-kickings will continue.

More jealousy from Mr. Football.

I never denied that Tech has been better in recent years. I'm saying that the two schools are not on the same level nationally or in Texas. You can't create a rivalry with schools on different levels. We lose to Tech, it's not a big deal. We lose to Texas, life sucks. It takes a day to get over a Tech loss, it takes until the next meeting to get over a Texas loss.

A rivalry has to be 2 sided. Just because Texan fans hate the Cowboys doesn't mean that they hate us. The Texans aren't on the same level as the Cowboys. The same is true with A&M and Tech. LSU would be a perfect rival for the Aggies. They are on our level, a big, proud, state school just like Texas-OU. Texas and Texas A&M are not looking for a new in-state rival. Tech needs to develop a rivalry with TCU or Baylor.

Jealousy? Over what?

I've just laid out Tech's ownership of Aggy. Would you like for me to now list UT's record of ownership of Texas A&M?

Let's steer back from your delusion and look at the reality of the situation facing Texas Tech and Texas A&M. Both schools want to make more money in order to compete with UT and its gargantuan budget (as well as OU). This game pays $10 million/each vs. $3.5 million. Do the math.

Here's a look at the most recent Athletic Budgets of the Big 12 schools and where they rank nationally:

3. Texas - $83,600,248

10. Oklahoma - $64,322,580

11. Nebraska - $63,695,480

16. Texas A&M - $61,419,536

24. Texas Tech - $53,337,768

33. Kansas - $47,554,572

38. Colorado - $45,731,544

40. Missouri - $45,184,836

43. Oklahoma State - $44,061,812

58. Baylor - $36,228,960

59. Kansas State - $34,834,468

62. Iowa State - $32,541,236

*Note as far as money goes, it appears the difference between A&M and UT ($22,180,712) is far greater than the difference between A&M and Texas Tech ($8,081,768). Seems like A&M is whole lot closer to Tech than they are the Horns. Now, imagine for a second that "Dollar" Bill Byrnes doesn't get his way and has to forego the game in Dallas. Tech then picks up OSU for the JerryWorld game. The Aggies forego the $10 million that JerryWorld was offering and Tech is laughing all the way to the bank.

Div I Athletic Budgets (Reference)

Jealousy? Over what?

You're still missing my point. On a national and state level, Texas A&M and Texas are THE schools in Texas. Tech is currently third at best (see TCU and UH). Texas A&M doesn't need a game in DFW to get recruits or attention. Kyle Field does that for us (see article below).

Here is where your jealously comes in. You think Tech deserves more attention. The truth is that it doesn't get it because it doesn't shine as bright as UT, A&M, or OU. Don't get pissy with me because of a national perception.

I'd rather Tech have more respect nationwide, it would help the league.

Top 10 stadiums: No. 1, Texas A&M's Kyle Field

By Dennis Dodd

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Why it is on this list: Kyle Field is not a stadium, it is an experience.

The Aggies' Kyle Field

Face it, there isn't much to do in College Station so the entire town rotates its activities around game day. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It starts with yell practice on Friday night. Picture this: 15,000 fans turning up at midnight to scream their brains out in preparation for ...

The spring game!

The total goes up to 40,000 for regular-season games.

There are simply no other fans who get into their team more than Aggies. While that will cause a nationwide revolt at other schools, consider these points:

View the remainder of the story here.

The only person who actually backs things up with facts is MrFootball, nicely done too.

Other then just flat out opinions, will someone give me facts that support the statement that 'A&M is above the level of Tech'? Show me something the Aggies have done in the past 15 years that could justify this.

The only person who actually backs things up with facts is MrFootball, nicely done too.

Other then just flat out opinions, will someone give me facts that support the statement that 'A&M is above the level of Tech'? Show me something the Aggies have done in the past 15 years that could justify this.

Here, from Mr. Football's other thread on college fanbases. Notice Texas A&M has a fanbase over twice the size of Tech's. Not to mention the second largest in the country behind Penn State.

Clickable map

ncaaf_640.gif

Past fifteen years? Well Tech has a shared conference championship in 1994; A&M has two SWC championships, a Big 12 championship, and two Big 12 South division championships. We've also had a Lombardi award winner and an ESPN series devoted to us. In terms of national profile, Texas A&M is above Tech, but Tech has had our number, no question about it.

Honestly, I think there are two schools in this state where one can enjoy a truly grand and tradition-rich college football experience, and those are Texas and Texas A&M. Yes, that is opinion-based, but a lot of people not affiliated with the two schools would share that opinion.

It's about perception, which is reality. Texas A&M will be perceived by the average fan as being the better program. Go ask the random sports fan, especially outside of Texas, which program is on a higher level, and I'd bet most of them would tell you TAMU. Ask them which are the two best fooball programs in Texas, and most will say Texas and TAMU.

Past fifteen years? Well Tech has a shared conference championship in 1994; A&M has two SWC championships, a Big 12 championship, and two Big 12 South division championships. We've also had a Lombardi award winner and an ESPN series devoted to us. In terms of national profile, Texas A&M is above Tech, but Tech has had our number, no question about it.

Honestly, I think there are two schools in this state where one can enjoy a truly grand and tradition-rich college football experience, and those are Texas and Texas A&M. Yes, that is opinion-based, but a lot of people not affiliated with the two schools would share that opinion.

I respect that response, it wasnt just trashing.

The biggest problem I have found with this argument between the level of play between Aggies and Tech is how the past is brought up. Tech has two co-champion SWC title because of the lack of a championship game. Tech may not have the big twelve championship to their name but they finish infront of A&M most of the time so how is that not considered. But it is pointless to bring up the SWC, that is now in the past just like the days of Army and Navy. I want to compare the football teams in this era.

I am not trying in any way to say that Tech is on the national attention level as A&M but Tech is on the same level when it comes down to comparing the skills and stats of two football teams. So I am not looking for reasons why A&M is above Tech "In terms of national profile..." or which team had a tv series. Tell me a reason why A&M is a better football team on the field and not on the screen.

It's about perception, which is reality. Texas A&M will be perceived by the average fan as being the better program. Go ask the random sports fan, especially outside of Texas, which program is on a higher level, and I'd bet most of them would tell you TAMU. Ask them which are the two best fooball programs in Texas, and most will say Texas and TAMU.

I am asking for facts and stats not opinions of average people on the street, I know A&M is more nationally known.

Thats nice, but you are giving me popularity which Tech loses hands down. When the two teams walk out onto the field, give me facts that say that A&M is on a higher playing level.

This thread is about Rivalries... and the fact that Tech wants A&M as a rival... hence a game in Dallas.

Rivalries don't just consist of football stats.

Tech - 2 SWC Championships.

TAMU - 17 SWC Championships.

Tech - 0 National Championships in football, 1 total in NCAA

TAMU - 1 National Championships in football, 5 total in NCAA

Tech - 8 Big XII titles

TAMU - 28 Big XII titles

HAs A&M football been lagging behind what they used to be, and Tech the last decade.. yes... but across the board, A&M athletics has been much more successful than Tech. I also could have put Texas and OUs numbers up there.. but they blow both schools away... but this post was only to compare these two schools.

However, when he said Tech isnt on the same playing level as A&M.. Even though the sports track history above is a level higher, he's referring to the University as a whole.

Texas has 2 flagship institutions and Tech just isn't one of them.

This is a term used with reference to state university systems in the United States, which often comprise numerous campuses in widely-separated locations. In this context, flagship means "fully mature public universities". According to Robert Berdahl, former University of California, Berkeley chancellor, "In most cases, these institutions were the first public universities to be established in their states. Many of what we now call the flagship campuses were established in the extraordinary period of university building that took place in the United States in the roughly three decades from the mid-1850s to the mid-1880s. Many came into being after the Morrill Act of 1863 provided the federal grants of land to the states to establish public universities. Some states built two institutions, a land-grant college focused on agriculture and the "mechanical arts" as well as general education, and another more directed at classical education and the other professions."

This isn't to say Tech isnt a good school, it is... it's just not and cant ever be one of the big boys as far as the entire University is concerned. It's shorter history, the fact that it gets less funding from the state, etc.

Yes, losing to Tech sucks. IT even sucks more that we havent won in Lubbock since 93. It sucks even more so that Tech football fans are the nastiest in the conference.. and I've been to every stadium in the conference multiple times (minus Col or Iowa St).. damn those flying tortillas.

Texas is A&M's only rival. This is also why the notion of playing LSU in Houston is more appealing to Aggie fans. It's another flagship insitution with a rich history that could grow to be an out of state rival. Not that LSU football wouldnt own us for a while too.. I'm certainly agreeing with all here who say the Aggie football program needs help.

But rivalries arent limited to one sport. It's University vs University. ..and Tech will always be the little brother looking for attention in this state.

I am asking for facts and stats not opinions of average people on the street, I know A&M is more nationally known.

But perception is the "fact" that matters the most when you talk about which program is on "a higher level."

Boise State can beat the snot out of 90% of the programs in BCS leagues, but which programs are considered on "a higher level?"

This thread is about Rivalries... and the fact that Tech wants A&M as a rival... hence a game in Dallas.

Rivalries don't just consist of football stats.

Tech - 2 SWC Championships.

TAMU - 17 SWC Championships.

Tech - 0 National Championships in football, 1 total in NCAA

TAMU - 1 National Championships in football, 5 total in NCAA

Tech - 8 Big XII titles

TAMU - 28 Big XII titles

HAs A&M football been lagging behind what they used to be, and Tech the last decade.. yes... but across the board, A&M athletics has been much more successful than Tech. I also could have put Texas and OUs numbers up there.. but they blow both schools away... but this post was only to compare these two schools.

However, when he said Tech isnt on the same playing level as A&M.. Even though the sports track history above is a level higher, he's referring to the University as a whole.

Texas has 2 flagship institutions and Tech just isn't one of them.

This is a term used with reference to state university systems in the United States, which often comprise numerous campuses in widely-separated locations. In this context, flagship means "fully mature public universities". According to Robert Berdahl, former University of California, Berkeley chancellor, "In most cases, these institutions were the first public universities to be established in their states. Many of what we now call the flagship campuses were established in the extraordinary period of university building that took place in the United States in the roughly three decades from the mid-1850s to the mid-1880s. Many came into being after the Morrill Act of 1863 provided the federal grants of land to the states to establish public universities. Some states built two institutions, a land-grant college focused on agriculture and the "mechanical arts" as well as general education, and another more directed at classical education and the other professions."

This isn't to say Tech isnt a good school, it is... it's just not and cant ever be one of the big boys as far as the entire University is concerned. It's shorter history, the fact that it gets less funding from the state, etc.

Yes, losing to Tech sucks. IT even sucks more that we havent won in Lubbock since 93. It sucks even more so that Tech football fans are the nastiest in the conference.. and I've been to every stadium in the conference multiple times (minus Col or Iowa St).. damn those flying tortillas.

Texas is A&M's only rival. This is also why the notion of playing LSU in Houston is more appealing to Aggie fans. It's another flagship insitution with a rich history that could grow to be an out of state rival. Not that LSU football wouldnt own us for a while too.. I'm certainly agreeing with all here who say the Aggie football program needs help.

But rivalries arent limited to one sport. It's University vs University. ..and Tech will always be the little brother looking for attention in this state.

No thats what all of you are fighting, go back and read my posts, I am against it being called a rivalry. Give me reasons you are better football team.

I keep asking and all I get is that A&M is more popular and is talked about more in the news. Whether Tech is a "flagship" school or not is not in my argument. Give me a reason why I should think nonflagship Tech will lose to A&M.

No thats what all of you are fighting, go back and read my posts, I am against it being called a rivalry. Give me reasons you are better football team.

I keep asking and all I get is that A&M is more popular and is talked about more in the news. Whether Tech is a "flagship" school or not is not in my argument. Give me a reason why I should think nonflagship Tech will lose to A&M.

To me, this post is about moving the annual game to Dallas... in order to try to capture the same thing Tex/Ok have. In doing so, it's trying to elevate this game and force it to be what it can't be, a rivalry.

Are we the better football team this season.. don't know.

Were we better football team last season.. Yes. Tech may have beat us, but we still finished with the better conference and overall record.

Has Tech consistently had our number this decade and been better on the football field ? Yes. But who cares... thats no grounds for moving the game to Dallas and trying to turn it into what it is not.

So, to answer your question, No, I'm not trying to argue A&M is the better football team.. but thats your issue.. thats not the main issue of this thread.. which is Should the game be moved to Dallas... not Who has the better football team.

Archived