Memorial Bend Website

419isolde

Does anyone know where the Memorial Bend website resides, now?

The website is presently inactive. It was a fantastic record of my childhood neighborhood and I hope it is still around!

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction!

I agree - it would be great if the MB site were archived here.

How badly has the neighborhood been dessimated by McMansions? It's really all the more reason to allow the MB site to live on.

I grew up in one of those mod houses - it and the surrounding modern homes inspired me to become an architect. It's a pity that Texan ostentation has destroyed such a rare environment.

The website was discontinued several months ago when the last remaining mod was demolished...

"When the last remaining mod was destroyed"? I was down there about a week and a half ago and the only mod that's been destroyed in a long time is the Carroll Brodnax designed house at the corner of Memorial Dr. and the feeder road. The Bend website is down because Michael Brichford doesn't have the time to maintain it at the moment (from what I heard)

Fear not, there are still tons of mods left in Memorial Bend.

"When the last remaining mod was destroyed"? I was down there about a week and a half ago and the only mod that's been destroyed in a long time is the Carroll Brodnax designed house at the corner of Memorial Dr. and the feeder road. The Bend website is down because Michael Brichford doesn't have the time to maintain it at the moment (from what I heard)

Fear not, there are still tons of mods left in Memorial Bend.

Yeah I thought this post was odd, too. If anything, Memorial Bend is amazingly preserved...especially for Houston!

I cut through the Eastern section of MB a few weeks ago, and to my chagrin there was a monster McMansion going up on a corner lot near Memorial, Butterfly I think. Bleeechhh.

That's too bad for such a unique neighborhood. From what I remember Michael posting a while back, there was a split in thinking of the residents about strenghtening the deed restrictions to prevent this, with a lot of residents just accepting that teardowns as inevitable and electing not to pursue a change to prevent it.

I'm no expert, but I personally question the whole argument that restricting the type of rebuilding will harm property values - if people want great schools and a good location, and unique 1 story ranch houses are all that is available to buy, there will STILL be buyers out there - basic Supply and Demand at work, prices will still go up.

The way I see it, about their only hope to save MB at this point is to try to have the neighborhood designated for National Historic Register status.

The way I see it, about their only hope to save MB at this point is to try to have the neighborhood designated for National Historic Register status.

YES ! ! !

But the City of Houston version, instead. It is the only designation that has true protection.

YES ! ! !

But the City of Houston version, instead. It is the only designation that has true protection.

Well, if anybody is going to nominate MB, national or otherwise, they'd better hurry the hell up!

Out of 7 active listings for MB today on HAR, 3 are for new construction (nearing the $1 million mark) and the cheapest one of the others (at $265k, with an Option on it) is attractively advertised as an " ... ideal opportunity to tear down and build'. Ugh.

I think someone pointed out in the newest Atomic Ranch that once too many original houses in a neighborhood are replaced, the area is considered too 'modified' to be protected. Ironic, isn't it? <_<

Archived