Right-wing/Left-wing universities?

pineda

• 3 months later...

I would say that about the only "right-wing" university I know of is Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan. It refuses to accept federal or state funding and is one of only a small number of colleges to do so.

As a former college instructor, I can tell you that the faculty of most colleges and universities are far to the left.

Ole Miss is pretty right-wing, if I had to say of one I know of. Southern Miss, is very liberal on the other hand, and Miss. State would be right in the middle. LSU, conservative. Florida State, conservative. Univ. of Miami, liberal. UT moderate, aTm, conservative. U of H liberal. Rice, liberal. Most of these are JMO, but a couple I know I am dead on.

I would say that about the only "right-wing" university I know of is Hillsdale College in Hillsdale, Michigan. It refuses to accept federal or state funding and is one of only a small number of colleges to do so.

As a former college instructor, I can tell you that the faculty of most colleges and universities are far to the left.

I guess you have never heard of the far right wing, Evangelical, Fundamentalist Christian universities..

* Bob Jones University (South Carolina)

* Liberty University (Virginia)

* Oral Roberts University (Oklahoma)

And there are a few others...

I guess you have never heard of the far right wing, Evangelical, Fundamentalist Christian universities..* Bob Jones University (South Carolina)* Liberty University (Virginia)* Oral Roberts University (Oklahoma)And there are a few others...
Vicman, we are talkin' 'bout Div.1 schools buddy. ;)^_^:lol: You are correct about those schools though.

Conservative (IMO)

Samford, Arkansas Baptist, Ouachita Baptist, Azusa Pacific, Biola, Pepperdine, Wake Forest, Hillsdale, Grove City, Franciscan, Indiana Wesleyan, Thomas Aquinas, College of the Ozarks, Liberty, Oral Roberts, Patrick Henry, Christendom, Harding, Baylor, Bob Jones, James Madison, Point Loma Nazarene, BYU, St Vincent, Thomas More, Regent, King's, Hampden-Sydney, Dallas, Wheaton of Illinois, Southern Virginia, Houston Baptist, Calvin, Ava Maria, and most of the service academies.

I guess you have never heard of the far right wing, Evangelical, Fundamentalist Christian universities..

* Bob Jones University (South Carolina)

* Liberty University (Virginia)

* Oral Roberts University (Oklahoma)

I did think about those, though I wouldn't call them "far right." I'm a Right-winger m'self and those places don't fit the bill, evangelical, yes. BYU would be conservative as well as Notre Dame, but certanly not Pepperdine.

I see Arkansas Baptist and Ouachita Baptist on your list, KinkaidAlum, would you put Henderson State there as well?

Don't let the Malibu beach location fool you. Pepperdine is conservative. It is closely affiliated with the Church of Christ. It's a dry campus and any university group caught with alcohol on or OFF campus faces expulsion. Dorms are all single sex and they have curfews. Until recently, dancing was still officially banned on campus!

In the Princeton Review, Pepperdine ranks #13 in the "Alternative Lifestyles ARE NOT an alternative" category. A straight guy who tried to start an "end homophobia" group on campus in 2006 was denied that right by the President of the University!

The Fiske Guide calls it "one of the nation's largest conservative colleges."

Additionally, the law school gained some attention when they tried to lure Kenneth Starr to become the Dean and head the new Public Policy Institute. He "resigned" before he ever began due to the ties the school had with Scaife (donated $13 million to Pepperdine including the seed money to start the new school) as well as to Scaife's ties to the Clinton scandals.

The Law School's own mission statement states the "mission is to incorporate the values of Jesus Christ into the law."

Douglas Kmiec is one of the most famous profs at the law school. He is one of the most conservative lawyers in the nation!

In the Princeton Review, Pepperdine ranks #13 in the "Alternative Lifestyles ARE NOT an alternative" category. A straight guy who tried to start an "end homophobia" group on campus in 2006 was denied that right by the President of the University!

"Yes... everyone must be the same... look the same, talk the same, act the same... BE the same!"

uughh.... like clones! :wacko:

I'm an alum of both UT-Austin '95 and Texas Tech '97

UT was very liberal

Texas Tech was center-right.

In my experience, UT professors liked to push their ideology down your throat. Tech profs tended to take a more libertarian bent, giving you both sides of the story for you to make up your own mind.

"Yes... everyone must be the same... look the same, talk the same, act the same... BE the same!"

uughh.... like clones!

Yeah, unlike that heard of independent minds on the Left who all seem to look, sound and act just alike.

That's interesting about Pepperdine because several people I know who went there and taught there were pretty well out on a their own branch. They also told me there were some pretty odd scenes, but this has been many moons ago.

Archived