Need some guidance...

gwilson

Sorry for the repost, someone suggested I try this here:

It is an odd mix, I'm aware. I am beginning to look for some design ideas for my own house which is probably a year or two off from construction.

I have in my head a desire for a mix of Frank Lloyd Wright mixed with some Mediterranean and some mod.

I was hoping you all could help me find some examples of some homes that are FLW influenced (heavily or otherwise) but mix in some other styles as well.

Exteriors and interiors both please.

Thanks folks

Sorry for the repost, someone suggested I try this here:

It is an odd mix, I'm aware. I am beginning to look for some design ideas for my own house which is probably a year or two off from construction.

I have in my head a desire for a mix of Frank Lloyd Wright mixed with some Mediterranean and some mod.

I was hoping you all could help me find some examples of some homes that are FLW influenced (heavily or otherwise) but mix in some other styles as well.

Exteriors and interiors both please.

Thanks folks

Ok, I have a suggestion: it's actually a church but I think it kind of fits your description.

First Church of Christ, Scientist, Downtown - combines some mid century mod-ish ideas with sort of a Mediterranean twist to the detailing (especially in the courtyard area archways, etc). Main @ Jefferson, see pics in my previous post here ...

Mod Church

Hope it inspires you ...

Great pix, GoAtomic!

There's a house in Cedar Lawn in Galveston which Stephen Fox describes in the _Galveston Architectural Guidebook_ as "Mexican ranchero moderne." There's an address and a small photo. If I remember and have time tonight, I'll scan and post.

That's gonna be quite a bastard child!

lol, yeah, I know. But I love parts of each of them.

Chances are, I'll probably end up with a FLW meets Med and the interiors will be MCM.

I just figured this had been done already or someone had thought of how to mesh the three styles.

http://www.lakeflato.com/

i like lake flato quite a bit. some of their projects may be too "modern barn"; however, some projects touch on the elements you like.

I really like some of their stuff. Some of it I would even call "Industrial meets barn" or "stone quarry meets contemporary".

Interesting none-the-less. I've contacted them to see what they think.

Thanks!

Ok, I have a suggestion: it's actually a church but I think it kind of fits your description.

First Church of Christ, Scientist, Downtown - combines some mid century mod-ish ideas with sort of a Mediterranean twist to the detailing (especially in the courtyard area archways, etc). Main @ Jefferson, see pics in my previous post here ...

Mod Church

Hope it inspires you ...

I love the courtyard. Almost gives you a sense of a "cloister"-esque setting (which is something I'd love to have in my home).

I do plan on doing a courtyard style with a twist, so who knows.

Great pics. I've seen the church from the street but never up close. Beautiful.

I do plan on doing a courtyard style with a twist, so who knows.

Wow, lots of "twists." If we were talking about a cocktail, with so many ingredients, your future home will be the equivalent of a Bloody Mary.

Oddly enough, though, I can see where Frank Lloyd wright could mesh with a sort of Mediterranean thing, if done with skill. I think it is great when homeowners have a point of view and want to bring a personal look to their dwelling. Unless, of course, it ends up looking like a Persian Palace (The new, more hideous version of McMansion. See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_palace )

Wright's son, Lloyd, designed a home in Los Angeles called the Sowden house. This home, since a tasteful but controversial remodel, has traits of Wright, South/Central American, Mod, and hither and yon has splashes of Mediterranean. And it actually works! Plus it has one of the most beautiful courtyards I've ever seen. It was updated by a guy named Xorin Balbes who does some really neat work.

Links to Sowden House:

http://www.mosslerdoe.com/address.php?property_ID=447

http://meyler.locations.org/library6180/in...tectural%2F1118

Keep me posted...I'm very interested in how this will turn out!

Wow, lots of "twists." If we were talking about a cocktail, with so many ingredients, your future home will be the equivalent of a Bloody Mary.

Oddly enough, though, I can see where Frank Lloyd wright could mesh with a sort of Mediterranean thing, if done with skill. I think it is great when homeowners have a point of view and want to bring a personal look to their dwelling. Unless, of course, it ends up looking like a Persian Palace (The new, more hideous version of McMansion. See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_palace )

Wright's son, Lloyd, designed a home in Los Angeles called the Sowden house. This home, since a tasteful but controversial remodel, has traits of Wright, South/Central American, Mod, and hither and yon has splashes of Mediterranean. And it actually works! Plus it has one of the most beautiful courtyards I've ever seen. It was updated by a guy named Xorin Balbes who does some really neat work.

Links to Sowden House:

http://www.mosslerdoe.com/address.php?property_ID=447

http://meyler.locations.org/library6180/in...tectural%2F1118

Keep me posted...I'm very interested in how this will turn out!

Wow. Beautiful. It seems almost like something a modern Aztec or Mayan king would live in.

Certainly no shortage of stone. I love the courtyard. Every room gets a view of the pool and court. I'd want mine a bit more functional, space to entertain, etc.

These are great ideas folks, keep em coming.

As promised, from the Galveston Architectural Guide (pp. 214-5):

cedar_lawn006.jpg

58 Cedar Lawn Circle, 1950, Michael A. Loomis, designer

Woodrow J. Walker, who built this house, was manager of the Palace Club, one of the Maceo enterprises. The Walker House is a flamboyant example of what might be called Mexican ranchero moderne. Like several other Cedar Lawn houses designed by the amateur architect Mike Loomis (and built by his brother, the prolific Galveston contractor Gus Loomis), it is based on a combination of angled and circular plan geometries and features a brash mixture of materials that give it a strong presence.

Text by Stephen Fox. Photo by Ellen Beasley.

As promised, from the Galveston Architectural Guide (pp. 214-5):

cedar_lawn006.jpg

58 Cedar Lawn Circle, 1950, Michael A. Loomis, designer

Woodrow J. Walker, who built this house, was manager of the Palace Club, one of the Maceo enterprises. The Walker House is a flamboyant example of what might be called Mexican ranchero moderne. Like several other Cedar Lawn houses designed by the amateur architect Mike Loomis (and built by his brother, the prolific Galveston contractor Gus Loomis), it is based on a combination of angled and circular plan geometries and features a brash mixture of materials that give it a strong presence.

Text by Stephen Fox. Photo by Ellen Beasley.

Very interesting. Although it looks like it is about to fall over. It seems as if the different styles are at odds on this piece, no?

Archived