Who has the best queso in Houston? Restaurants and recipes!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best queso is made at home. One large pack of velveeta, can of evaporated milk, can of cream of celery, can of cream of onion, can of chopped green chilis. Add a little red pepper to spice it up. Heat all ingrediants in a sauce pan or crock pot until melted and mix well. Trust me on this one. Every party I have everyone asks for the recipe. But if you just have to go out... Ninfas and Pappasitos is ok.

The best queso is made at home. One large pack of velveeta, can of evaporated milk, can of cream of celery, can of cream of onion, can of chopped green chilis. Add a little red pepper to spice it up. Heat all ingrediants in a sauce pan or crock pot until melted and mix well. Trust me on this one. Every party I have everyone asks for the recipe. But if you just have to go out... Ninfas and Pappasitos is ok.

i'm going to try this on monday. one question, when you say can of chopped green chilis, do you mean pickled jalapenos?

I've always liked the Velveeta commercials with the family making the queso with it and salsa and then doing like a dance at the end. Just never had it that way (to my knowledge ... who knows, maybe some restaurants are serving it and I just don't know it...?).

I've always liked the Velveeta commercials with the family making the queso with it and salsa and then doing like a dance at the end. Just never had it that way (to my knowledge ... who knows, maybe some restaurants are serving it and I just don't know it...?).

Your instincts serve you well young Padawan.

Tried your queso recipe last night, E.E. Sue and everyone loved it! Man, it makes a huge bunch of queso too, plenty for any party. Thanks for that! And note to Musicman: I used a can of chopped green chilis, not pickled jalapenos.

Tried your queso recipe last night, E.E. Sue and everyone loved it! Man, it makes a huge bunch of queso too, plenty for any party. Thanks for that! And note to Musicman: I used a can of chopped green chilis, not pickled jalapenos.

thx i just got back from store and found em....but couldn't find cream of onion....will go to another store.

i'm going to try this on monday. one question, when you say can of chopped green chilis, do you mean pickled jalapenos?

Nope. not jalapeno. Its a small can by Old El Paso or Ortega...both are good. Nothing pickled. The can says Chopped green chilis. And careful with the red pepper for the heat. I like it just the way it is with no heat added. Hope you enjoy it.

Very glad you liked it. I got the recipe from a friend from Piedras Negras Mexico. I just love it...And its so easy to make.

Nope. not jalapeno. Its a small can by Old El Paso or Ortega...both are good. Nothing pickled. The can says Chopped green chilis. And careful with the red pepper for the heat. I like it just the way it is with no heat added. Hope you enjoy it.

yeah i found it. i'm going to a small gathering this evening so i ended up making it this afternoon. it does have good flavor but i had to add some kick because the green chiles were not hot at all.

Thanks for that recipe, E.E. Sue!

We're going to make it and some ceviche for a party! :)

Oh ceviche sounds so good! I tried to make it once from a recipe from the cuban lady on channel 8 but it was way too tangy. Last time I had it I was at Ninfas. Pretty good but not as good as homemade.

EESusan

Here's the one i make most.

1 velveeta cheese

1 can condensed chicken soup

1 can cream of mushroom soup

16oz jar picante sauce (your choice of spice)

1 pkg frozen chopped broccoli

I'll try it at my next get together. Variety is the spice of life. Thanks for the recipe.

I'll try it at my next get together. Variety is the spice of life. Thanks for the recipe.

i will say this susan....my altered version went well last night.....this morning i made another batch for a gathering here on mem day...i just tried some (will actually will reheat it tomorrow) and i do taste the green chilis. i like spice, i like HOT.

ha! i'll be having a get together soon, just got a bigger plasma so we got to break it in, lol. i'm going to give Susan's recipe a try. :D

small world...my dad was from Piedras Negras :)

Hmm.. Small town. Maybe they knew each other. They lived right around the corner from Ignatio..or Nacho..the guy that created the Nacho. Their last name is Valdes.. they have lived in Galveston since 1971. They still plenty of aunts and cousins in Piedras.

i will say this susan....my altered version went well last night.....this morning i made another batch for a gathering here on mem day...i just tried some (will actually will reheat it tomorrow) and i do taste the green chilis. i like spice, i like HOT.

If you want it really spicy you can add some habanero sauce... available on the salsa aisle. As long as you use the sauce and not the salsa it wont mess with the actual flavor of the queso. But be warned.. it will set you on fire. I usually have the habanero sauce right by the queso so my friends can add however much they need to spontainiously combust. I also have a few cans of reddy whip in a bucket of ice in case they go overboard. One squirt of reddy whip in the mouth gets rid of the burn. Tried and true method.

Felix's.

Order it there and it is served on a fried tortilla. It doesn't look pretty (I imagine it looks like fat removed during a lipo procedure) but it sure is TASTY.

Agreed! Felix has the best Queso by far in Houston. A bit greasy but oh so tasty.

Susan-

I made your queso with a small hitch. It was a big hit. I couldn't find cream of onion anywhere (I tried 4 stores) so I subbed with cream of mushroom. It was tasty. I did add LOTS of red pepper to give it some flames though.

Thanks for sharing.

To give in return, here's a very simple and very tasty shrimp dish all my Boston friends demand I make for them about twice a year (it us RICH)

Jumbo shrimp in the shell

Slit the shells

Cover with butter

Cover with black pepper (really cover it... to the point you think you've put too much on)

Lightly salt/Lawrys/etc...

Broil for 7 minutes and then flip

Serve in a bowl with the drawn pepper butter and fresh bread

Serve lots of beer cause it is hot

Have lots of napkins/paper towels cause it is peel and eat

Susan-

I made your queso with a small hitch. It was a big hit. I couldn't find cream of onion anywhere (I tried 4 stores) so I subbed with cream of mushroom. It was tasty. I did add LOTS of red pepper to give it some flames though.

Thanks for sharing.

To give in return, here's a very simple and very tasty shrimp dish all my Boston friends demand I make for them about twice a year (it us RICH)

Slit the shells

Cover with butter

Cover with black pepper (really cover it... to the point you think you've put too much on)

Glad you enjoyed the queso. If you ever cant find one of the soups a good substitute is cream of pablano. Only Campbells though. Thanks for the recipe. You have two of my favorite ingredients in there. Shrimp and Butter!!!! Cant wait to try it.

I have a very similar recipe that doesn't have the cream of onion soup or evaporated milk, but instead has chopped onions and jalepenos. Other than that it's pretty much the same, including the can of cream of celery soup. It is delicious. I'll have to try your recipe also.

Slit the shells

Cover with butter

Kinkaid, that does sound good!

I'm trying to figure out what to make the boyfriend for dinner tomorrow night... might just have to try this shrimp!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived