Who has the best queso in Houston? Restaurants and recipes!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But basically cheese on cardboard is good! I could live on it.

WRD!! Chesse is so good and not just mexican cheese, cheddar, swiss, american, mozerella, etc...i could go on and on just like that guy on forest gump did about shrimp. which is also good. mmmmm shrimp, lol.

Chili con Queso lovers, input please.

Who has the best Queso and why?

My vote goes to Escalante's. The white cheese queso deep is incredible. I wish I knew what kind of cheese they used in it.

i can almost bet they use mexican cheese instead of tex mex places that typically use mozerella.

if u go to ur local grocery store to the cheese section there's this cheese brand labeled cyclone, get the panela kind of that cuz there are different varieties. i find the panela one to be good!! there's also this other one that has a pic. of a cow on it, lol, ok no mother in law jokes....anyway, don't know the name of the brand, but that one is also pretty good for making home made cheese tacos, or chorizo w/ cheese :)

If you like cheese as much as I do and you like to cook, I have a recipe for you! I had family over for a dinner party so being the wanna be chef that I am I went to Central Market with an open mind. It was a Saturday so they have all the samples and cooking going on around the store. I was walking around coming up with ideas when I see a guy with a crowd of people around him. He was sampling some yummy looking mac n cheese. I'm not kidding you, I have never tasted anything so yummy in my entire life with the exception of some risotto in Italy. It was amazing! So he handed me the recipe card and it had a whole bumch of unusual cheeses. I asked someone in the cheese departement to get me what I needed for the recipe. When I went to check out, it was seriously like $80 bucks for some pasta and cheese. I was shocked! But it is REALLY worth it and it makes a lot.

Sorry for the long story, TX Architect, if you want the recipe email me.

Felix's.

Order it there and it is served on a fried tortilla. It doesn't look pretty (I imagine it looks like fat removed during a lipo procedure) but it sure is TASTY.

Thanks for the visual KinkaidAlum. Just what I needed right before lunch. :wacko:

Chili con Queso lovers, input please.

Who has the best Queso and why?

My vote goes to Escalante's. The white cheese queso deep is incredible. I wish I knew what kind of cheese they used in it.

I like the store-bought Tostitos queso ... damn, that stuff is good!

I like Felix's queso as well. The last time I went there my co-worker had a heart attck a day later after eating the queso...true story. I'm not saying the queso was the only contributor, but all of that fat couldn't have helped.

If you ever go to Austin go to Magnolia Cafe off of Lake Austin Blvd. - get the sonora queso.

I thought they closed?

Mi Sombrero? I don't think so....parking lot has been full-ish and the lights inside have been on last I saw....maybe a week ago.

Now...the ghetto ass apartments next door to it (Carter's Grove) were shut down.

I believe that stuff is made from chihuahua cheese. It's very popular in Mexico and muy bueno - you can find it at Fiesta.

Hey TJ, if you're willing to share your recipe, my PM box is waitin' for you. :D

I love Ninfa's, and like Mr. Football, I love Escalante's as well.

BTW, anyone know where I can get FRESHLY made corn tortillas other than Ninfa's? I love them with my fajitas. SOOOO good!!! Totally different from packaged corn tortillas for sure!

Hey TJ, if you're willing to share your recipe, my PM box is waitin' for you. :D

I love Ninfa's, and like Mr. Football, I love Escalante's as well.

BTW, anyone know where I can get FRESHLY made corn tortillas other than Ninfa's? I love them with my fajitas. SOOOO good!!! Totally different from packaged corn tortillas for sure!

The HEB by my house on Hwy6. has a lady working in there making them fresh, she makes these WHEAT flour tortillas that will melt in your mouth.

The HEB by my house on Hwy6. has a lady working in there making them fresh, she makes these WHEAT flour tortillas that will melt in your mouth.

they even have the raw ones now, ready to cook at your house.

I always got my corn tortillas from Fiesta on N Shepherd. They made them in the store, and I would always feel to make sure the package was warm. Many a time I would eat a few on the way home.

Ah--that's an idea. I wonder if the Fiesta on I-10 and Blalock has them. I will have to call and ask. Thanks Heights! (and...I am with you on the eating some on the way home....they are just SOOOO good!!!!)

No, they don't, Parrothead. They carry them, but they are not made fresh in that particular store.

Before I left Houston, that store was my favorite grocery to shop at. They have a great bakery, but don't do tortillas.

Archived