Wright Morrow Mansion At 3028 South MacGregor Way

JLWM8609

The old Wright Morrow Estate at 3028 S. MacGregor will be demolished soon. It was originally bought from it's former homeowner in 2001 with intention of the land being used by UT to build a four story Psychiatric outpatient center. Residents in Riverside Terrace fought the project and suceeded as it would bring high traffic and noise into the neighborhood. The land was put on the market again and purchased by a developer to put high dollar condos on, perhaps gated. Some relatives of Wright Morrow were allowed to remove some of the old furniture the other day, I saw them taking it out. The house appears to be gutted now, and some shingles have been removed from the roof. The house has been in disrepair since 2002 shortly after UT bought it. The previously meticulously manicured gardens and lawn became overgrown, the white fence bordering the estate started to fall apart, and the exterior paint on the house was peeling off. A sad end to a beautiful estate.

• Like 1

I heard that the last owner of the house was slowly restoring the house to its 1939 appearance, when it appeared in Architectural Digest. UT completely gutted the house shortly after they purchased it in 2001, in order to remove asbestos (rarely found in large quantities in pre-WWII residences). I agree, very sad end to this beautiful home.

It is a shame that Houston is still losing the large homes that line the MacGregor Parkway. I was very distraught when that church on North MacGregor demolished that beautiful Mott house, along with two neighboring houses in 2001. The building that is now on the site is out of scale with the neighborhood and very poorly detailed on the exterior.

I heard that the last owner of the house was slowly restoring the house to its 1939 appearance, when it appeared in Architectural Digest. UT completely gutted the house shortly after they purchased it in 2001, in order to remove asbestos (rarely found in large quantities in pre-WWII residences). I agree, very sad end to this beautiful home.

It is a shame that Houston is still losing the large homes that line the MacGregor Parkway. I was very distraught when that church on North MacGregor demolished that beautiful Mott house, along with two neighboring houses in 2001. The building that is now on the site is out of scale with the neighborhood and very poorly detailed on the exterior.

That church is Good Hope M.B.C. The houses on that lot were once for sale and to be moved to another location after being bought. But nobody ever bought the houses, so they demolished them. The large building on that site now houses the church's reception hall and school. It matches the church and the landscaping's nice, but it's the first time I've seen a reception hall type building bigger than the church! I think it also houses offices for church staff.

Are there any pictures of this home? I'm curious to see how it looks.

Thats exactly what I was wondering. Pics anyone?

Seems like all the houses we used to have U/H frat parties in this area are being demolished. So much for animal house. :(

Does anyone know of ant hauntings in that area? I worked for a TV atation a few years back and we did a story on some house in that neoghborhood that the neighbors claimed was haunted. However I cannot remember which house. I do know it was off of N. MacGregor. If I see it again I will remember. I have to take a drive by there tomorrow.

BOO!

Does anyone know of ant hauntings in that area? I worked for a TV atation a few years back and we did a story on some house in that neoghborhood that the neighbors claimed was haunted. However I cannot remember which house. I do know it was off of N. MacGregor. If I see it again I will remember. I have to take a drive by there tomorrow.

BOO!

I believe I know which house you speak of. It's not on N. MacGregor though. I think it's on Ennis, Calumet, Live Oak, or Riverside.

And yes musicman, I think these will either be high priced condos, or high priced gated housing like the nice sized houses behind those gates and walls on Dixie Dr. right next to 288 and Grocers Supply.

• 4 months later...

When I first saw this thread back in May, it sounded familiar. Yesterday, I found out why. The architect designing the homes for this site is a good friend of mine. Naturally, being a good HAIFer, I demanded renderings, so that everyone here could put in their 2 cents.

Today, he complied.

Bldg1-B.jpg

Bldg2-B.jpg

Bldg2-A.jpg

I don't know if he has a site plan yet, at least one that can be displayed, but I'll work on it. The 4th floor deck should have great views of both downtown and the med center.

• 1 year later...
The old Wright Morrow Estate at 3028 S. MacGregor will be demolished soon. It was originally bought from it's former homeowner in 2001 with intention of the land being used by UT to build a four story Psychiatric outpatient center. Residents in Riverside Terrace fought the project and suceeded as it would bring high traffic and noise into the neighborhood. The land was put on the market again and purchased by a developer to put high dollar condos on, perhaps gated. Some relatives of Wright Morrow were allowed to remove some of the old furniture the other day, I saw them taking it out. The house appears to be gutted now, and some shingles have been removed from the roof. The house has been in disrepair since 2002 shortly after UT bought it. The previously meticulously manicured gardens and lawn became overgrown, the white fence bordering the estate started to fall apart, and the exterior paint on the house was peeling off. A sad end to a beautiful estate.

The architect was Robt. C. Smallwood (1936), Regency style. Wow...what a house. FYI - Gonzo, there is a picture of it in the second AIA Architectural Guide, p. 154. where this info. was found.

Edited by NenaE

The architect was Robt. C. Smallwood (1936), Regency style. Wow...what a house. There is a picture of it in the second AIA Architectural Guide, p. 154. where this info. was found.

It was quite the house. The owner took excellent care of it with period correct furnishings inside and out. I'd been inside of it numerous times, it was a beaut. I got pissed when UT gutted it and let the empty shell sit there for years unkempt. Now, the former owner owns a house of older of similar vintage in Woodville that he's treating the same way.

I've also noticed that the townhomes being built on the site must be undergoing some sort of financial crunch. 52 units were to be built and finished by now. Only 4 have been built at a rate that makes molasses seem to flow like a raging river. They're also putting up this ugly wall made of cinder blocks across the front.

Edited by JLWM8609

wow...you actually got to see the inside of it. That's great. I was just thinking how great (and depressing) it would have been to at least get to walk thru it, before it got torn down. That's sad. I can only imagine what it actually looked like, from that picture. Saw somewhere mentioned in the AIA book that the deed restrictions were relaxed in the 60's for Riverside. Opened the area up for redevelopment. How sad.

• The title was changed to Wright Morrow Mansion At 3028 South MacGregor Way