They've had signs posted all along FM 1464 for months advertising this thing. I just always assumed it would be more single-family housing units, like what's cropping up in that area already (more of the same) but it appears this has more of a central theme to it. I can only imagine what affect it will have on traffic both on FM 1464 (which will need to be expanded to at least four lanes more than likely) and the existing Grand Parkway. Seems like that long predicted infill (or whatever you prefer to call it) along GP is starting to pick up momentum. There's already a lot of new development underway just south of FM 1093 along GP as it stands.

• 2 weeks later...

At last year's HOA meeting we were told that TXDOT has already done all the studies, and is in the final stages of preparation for expansion. This year's meeting is this Tuesday, so I'll get the latest info.

Channeltwonews: Could you most more of the story for all of us "non-subscribers" to that website?

At last year's HOA meeting we were told that TXDOT has already done all the studies, and is in the final stages of preparation for expansion. This year's meeting is this Tuesday, so I'll get the latest info.

Channeltwonews: Could you most more of the story for all of us "non-subscribers" to that website?

Edit: Found an archived version of the article here.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Found this on fortbendnow.com today. Yet another smallish neighborhood for the southern end of FM 1464. The big developments like Telfair and Aliana automatically get an elementary school, but the smaller developments get nothing. So now, in addition to Chelsea Harbour, Orchard Lakes, Stratford Park, and Old Orchard, we'll have another similar size development with another hundred or so kids who won't have a school to call their own. My kids have gone to three different elementary schools in three years, and I imagine when the school in Telfair fills up, they'll be shipping us off again. :angry2:

###

San Antonio Company To Develop Homes On Land Bought From State

by Bob Dunn, Feb 04, 2008, 03 24 PM

San Antonio-based Great America Cos. plans to develop a

Yes, I believe Owens Road leads into the prison. That's over there by the big brown area that is keyed as "future development." Also known as, "um ... we're not sure what to do here."

With all the choices of places to live in Houston, why would anyone plunk down a large sum of money to live near a prison? I think its funny, The Upscale Living-Prison Included package. :wacko: When signs in the area say, "Don't pick up Hitchikers," that ought to tell you something.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if the Aliana site's close proximity to the prison keeps buyers away...or not.

I thought I heard or read somewhere (maybe mistakenly) that the Jester prison was relocating. It would make sense - I am sure that land is more valuable as residential/commercial real estate than prison farm land. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor of a prison relocatioin?

Actually, now that I've looked at a satellite image on Google Maps, looks like the developer has the wrong road labeled as Owens. The actual Owens Road is a little further south, as is the prison ...

I thought I heard or read somewhere (maybe mistakenly) that the Jester prison was relocating. It would make sense - I am sure that land is more valuable as residential/commercial real estate than prison farm land. Can anyone confirm or deny this rumor of a prison relocatioin?

Actually, I think the City of Sugar Land is trying to get the state to relocate the Central prison unit, which is near U.S. 90A and Highway 6 (next to the airport). The city wants this land to expand its business park. Story here:

http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/3843/sugar...elocation-study

Edited by jrc

Yes, there's a site for an elementary school smack in the middle of Aliana. But that's not a long-term solution for us. Just like the school in Telfair, it will fill up with kids who actually live in the neighborhood, and we'll be forced to move again. I have already sent an e-mail to the school board, still waiting for a response.

Hey, I just noticed you CAN see the prison unit on the developer's site plan. It's the building in the lower left corner, right next to the development summary chart and just above the word "plan." Looks like they're putting a water treatment plant on the other side of 99.

Yes, there's a site for an elementary school smack in the middle of Aliana. But that's not a long-term solution for us. Just like the school in Telfair, it will fill up with kids who actually live in the neighborhood, and we'll be forced to move again. I have already sent an e-mail to the school board, still waiting for a response.

Send a letter too - It's more formal and sounds more serious :)

JRC Did you hear that the money to widen 1464/99 intersection dried up? Think of the traffic once Aliana starts to grow!

Yeah, I heard about that. The story I read said they were "aggressively" pursuing other sources of funding. I know I've read elsewhere that there was a plan to use toll road money to complete non-toll road projects. Not sure if that's an option for 1464, though. Looking at the plans for Aliana, it's interesting to note that the main entrance to the neighborhood will be on 1464, and not on 99. But they will be extending West Airport and West Bellfort to 99, so that'll give people options for avoiding the bottlenecks. Also, 1464 will be widened from Airport to the Westpark Tollway, so maybe that'll encourage people to head north instead of south.

Send a letter too - It's more formal and sounds more serious :)

Ha ha ... Actually, we gave the school board an earful the last time they rezoned us. They know who we are. They blame our lack of a school on the developers, saying they tried to purchase land in the smaller communities, but the developers wouldn't do it. Maybe that's true, or maybe it's a convenient excuse, but I don't see why they can't buy a piece of land outside of a development.

I thought I read in the Fort Bend Thursday supplemental section in the Chronicle that the prisons in Fort Bend were being reviewed/assessed for their "best and highest" use, which is a code language for "we want them the hell out of the way." I suspect the big developer money is talking loudly and calling for many of the units to be moved west away from most of the new development.

The item in the paper specifically mentioned that the Sugar Land Regional Airport wanted the land next to it that is presently occupied by the prison.

When we bought in Telfair we weren't fully aware of the long term plans for the airport, but I have heard people "theorizing" that SL leaders want a larger airport where regional jets could land, making SL a much more inviting corporate HQ type area. Then again, I've also heard that FedEx is looking for a hub in the area where they could land jets without being tied up at Intercontinental. I doubt the latter, but suspect the former to be at least partially true.

• Like 1

I thought I read in the Fort Bend Thursday supplemental section in the Chronicle that the prisons in Fort Bend were being reviewed/assessed for their "best and highest" use, which is a code language for "we want them the hell out of the way." I suspect the big developer money is talking loudly and calling for many of the units to be moved west away from most of the new development.

The item in the paper specifically mentioned that the Sugar Land Regional Airport wanted the land next to it that is presently occupied by the prison.

When we bought in Telfair we weren't fully aware of the long term plans for the airport, but I have heard people "theorizing" that SL leaders want a larger airport where regional jets could land, making SL a much more inviting corporate HQ type area. Then again, I've also heard that FedEx is looking for a hub in the area where they could land jets without being tied up at Intercontinental. I doubt the latter, but suspect the former to be at least partially true.

I've heard that the City of Houston created Cullinan Park (directly north of the airport) to keep Sugar Land from expanding its airport. Don't know if that's true, but it sure makes for a good story.

The land just west of the airport is the Central prison unit. Sugar Land annexed the entire area (including a chunk of land owned by the developers of Chelsea Harbor), and zoned it for use as a business park. Now they want the state to move the Central unit. Not sure if any of the other prisons are being looked at.

Here's one thing I don't understand: Why is the entrance to the Jester Units off FM 1464? It's a long drive from there to the prison, all the way on the other side of 99. Since they sold the last chunk of prison farm land (across from the Chevron station), the only remaining prison presence on FM 1464 is a crappy trailer park, and some shotgun-style houses. I believe this is housing for prison guards and/or trustys. With the development of Old Orchard on one side and the new development on the other, these buildings will be really out of place.