Ivy District: Mixed-Use Development In Pearland

clearman

Topics merged, and from the 12-17-07 Pearland Journal;

"WATERLIGHTS DISTRICT

Council heard a presentation by representatives of Historic Real Estate, developer of the Waterlights District, which is dubbed to be the Greater Houston area's next major economic district. The property is a 57-acre area located on the west side of Highway 288, east of Kirby Drive, south of South Spectrum Boulevard and north of Clear Creek.

The development is proposed to be a pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use development with office, retail, restaurants, hotel and 340 residential units. Twelve acres of park and garden areas are also proposed, as well as a grand canal and winding waterway.

HRE Executive Director David Goswick said more than 3,700 people cast online votes for "The Restaurant Row on the Grand Canal" which will feature 10 places to dine, including steakhouse restaurants, seafood, Italian, Mexican/TexMex, sushi, barbecue, and Asian.

"It's staggering what people want," Goswick said. "We plan to post those results later this week on our web site."

No structures are present at the site except for a temporary project trailer for the Waterlights District site office, and a metal barn. A groundbreaking has been tentatively scheduled for Feb. 18, which Councilmember Steve Saboe called an "aggressive timeline."

A public hearing will finalize specific terms of the conceptual plan, with Planning and Zoning Commission's changes and City Council's approval of those modifications.

Goswick emphasized the need for a development geared towards people who work at the Texas Medical Center and other surrounding areas.

"It's important that we respect connectivity," he said. "We've received 4,800 e-mails, and the request is how fast can this be created."

For more information on the Waterlights District, go the waterlightsdistrict.com. "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought this was sort of interesting. The Waterlight district is possibly going to be the location of the "Nano World Headquarters", which is supposed to be "office, laboratory and conference space and will serve as a venue for collaboration amongst academic, industry and government partners pursuing Nano development, and as an accelerator for startup companies aiming at commercializing the resulting technology."

Wow, a nanotech place right in the middle of all those presidential heads!

I heard about this at a conference at Rice yesterday...

http://www.nanoworldheadquarters.com/

I thought this was sort of interesting. The Waterlight district is possibly going to be the location of the "Nano World Headquarters", which is supposed to be "office, laboratory and conference space and will serve as a venue for collaboration amongst academic, industry and government partners pursuing Nano development, and as an accelerator for startup companies aiming at commercializing the resulting technology."

After reading the White Paper, I remain unconvinced of the reason to place such a facility in Pearland. I'll grant that of all the suburbs, Pearland is the closest to the TMC and has easy access to NASA/JSC, but it is also smack dab on the opposite side of town from IAH and doesn't have any major convention space and won't ever have a convention hotel in the immediate area. The paper also suggests extending LRT to Pearland, but I doubt METRO is ever going to spring for that.

Seems like it'd be a perfect fit for the Astroworld tract, especially if the Astrodome gets converted to a convention hotel. Pre-existing LRT access, a more central location that is roughly in between our two airports, and if Pearland is really THAT important, its still reasonably close by.

Wow, a nanotech place right in the middle of all those presidential heads!

I heard about this at a conference at Rice yesterday...

http://www.nanoworldheadquarters.com/

thats a great news for pearland. thanks for posting this

Seems like it'd be a perfect fit for the Astroworld tract, especially if the Astrodome gets converted to a convention hotel. Pre-existing LRT access, a more central location that is roughly in between our two airports, and if Pearland is really THAT important, its still reasonably close by.

For once, you and I agree on something! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to see that FDR & JFK made the list!

Had JFK not been shot, he'd have been remembered much as Nixon is. Some decent accomplishments, but mostly overshadowed by personal failings.

FDR at least makes sense in that he changed everything and had something to show for it. But if FDR gets to be on there, Andrew Jackson ought to be right alongside. It's hard to think of other hawk presidents that increased presidential powers more than these...aside possibly from George W. Bush.

Had JFK not been shot, he'd have been remembered much as Nixon is. Some decent accomplishments, but mostly overshadowed by personal failings.

FDR at least makes sense in that he changed everything and had something to show for it. But if FDR gets to be on there, Andrew Jackson ought to be right alongside. It's hard to think of other hawk presidents that increased presidential powers more than these...aside possibly from George W. Bush.

Baiting!!

G.W. sets quite a precedent with regard to executive order.

I would not take that lightly. Being a white American citizen doesn't necessarily qualify as an exemption.

If you charted some index of presidential power on a y axis and time on the x axis, you'd have something that look like stairs. Up, level, up, level, up, level. Jackson, Lincoln, Roosevelt (1), Roosevelt (2), Bush (2). These are the ones at the top of mind, but I'm sure there are others. The point being, though, that there are plenty of presidents in between that are generally less remembered, less honored, and those are ones that tended to play by the rules.

I'm not sure what being white has to do with anything.

Edited by TheNiche

If you charted some index of presidential power on a y axis and time on the x axis, you'd have something that look like stairs. Up, level, up, level, up, level. Jackson, Lincoln, Roosevelt (1), Roosevelt (2), Bush (2). These are the ones at the top of mind, but I'm sure there are others. The point being, though, that there are plenty of presidents in between that are generally less remembered, less honored, and those are ones that tended to play by the rules.

I'm not sure what being white has to do with anything.

Oh, I was referring to abuses of executive under GW. Has lots to do with everything, assuming you trust the constitution still applies.

But I can definitely agree on your other presidential examples.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Except it will have stupid heads of presidents along it.

Sweet fancy Jesus, this is dumb.

At least it's different. I like to see a little creativity at work. The whole country is turning into one big indistinguishable strip mall; if it takes monstrous presidential heads to make a place stand apart a little, I'll take it.

At least it's different. I like to see a little creativity at work. The whole country is turning into one big indistinguishable strip mall; if it takes monstrous presidential heads to make a place stand apart a little, I'll take it.

...one big indistinguishable strip mall...with heads.

Fantastic. :rolleyes: