clearman

Ivy District - Formerly Waterlight District

all the chain restaurants are only a mile away on 518......so they will have to blow the masses away on this project...but they can't get too high end and snobbish as the chain restaurants and retail stores uaually draw people to these areas....remember that fancy mall in the galleria area a decade ago that struggled and closed down? Houston isn't your typical high-end market...even The Woodlands knows its roots

for the record, the cheesecake factory is severely overrated...what makes that high end? If you don't get a private booth you sit in a long seating with stangers that hear everything...

I'm glad the project is still alive. Thanks scrres. But Historic Real Estate needs to do a few things 1. update their websites, 2. give us rendering of the project, 3. publicize the project. These are no brainers.

I'm glad to hear that most people out here want some higher-end restaurants. I'm literally sick of Chili's, Olive Garden and TGI Fridays. Give us Vic & Anthony's, Grand Luxe, Cheesecake Factory, Brennan's...etc.

LOL sounds like your neighbors really miss some Double Dave's.

So, when do we get Barack Obama's head?

They will get the head of the new president. Makes me wonder on the color of his statue if he gets elected? I can see the polemic either way they decide to go.

^^He'll remain the same color as the other statues most likely. Statues don't need color really.

probably never

Never as in, three to four months? :D

all the chain restaurants are only a mile away on 518......so they will have to blow the masses away on this project...but they can't get too high end and snobbish as the chain restaurants and retail stores uaually draw people to these areas....remember that fancy mall in the galleria area a decade ago that struggled and closed down? Houston isn't your typical high-end market...even The Woodlands knows its roots

for the record, the cheesecake factory is severely overrated...what makes that high end? If you don't get a private booth you sit in a long seating with stangers that hear everything...

The Cheesecake Factory may be overrated, but it draws people. I can never go there for dinner and not have at least a 30 minute wait. It's also decorated beautifully inside.... :)

Add to that, the Cheesecake Factory is a great place to go on a date :D. Love it, but my wallet, not so much.

The Cheesecake Factory .......... decorated beautifully inside.... :)

Now I think I better understand the target market for houses with turrets.

your young kid....the Cheesecake Factory is fine dining to an 18-year old female and an easy way to score some points..lol

the facebook generation doesn't know the value of dining

your young kid....the Cheesecake Factory is fine dining to an 18-year old female and an easy way to score some points..lol

the facebook generation doesn't know the value of dining

Man speaks the truth. In fact, I'm going to the one in The Galleria later on today. Let's hope something happens ;). She doesn't know yet...its her birthday. Whoop whoop!

Edit: HBCU, spill the beans on other dining places that would be nice for a 17-year old's budget.

Edited by Trae

it's been 13 years since I was 17 but if a girl went to Chilis back in the 90s you was in......lol

Pappadeaux's wasn't even in the equation but it was good for prom night if anything...

now, I don't know what these young females want but from watching my siblings, they don't seem to value fine dining unless it's a "name" place...

best shrimp in town is at Christies off of Westheimer....hands down...fish is fresh, the shrimp...man...

Good. I'll do that next time, because I have this planned out already. I have a friend who works at the Cheesecake Factory, and I'm asking her to put "Happy Birthday Kelsey" on the plate.

I'm so romantic. You guys should take tips from me ;).

I didn't look to see if anyone has posted this yet...

Edited by lockmat

The music and quality reminds me of film strips we watched in class in the 80s. And it was just about moving heads. Tell me more has happened than that.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/news/6128992.html

The bold, but still unfunded, plan calls for the development of a large facility where nascent nanotechnology companies can gain access to lab space and expensive, sensitive equipment without having to buy it.

With nanotechnology, Houston has some built-in advantages over other parts of the country. The basic research of the late Rick Smalley, Rice University's Nobel Prize-winning nanoscientist, and others has made the institution a world leader in the field. The region also has large industrial bases in energy, health and aerospace, fields in which nanotechnology is expected to make a significant impact.

"Houston's in a race to become the global leader of nanotechnology," said the project's developer, David Goswick. "This is how we can win."

For local nanoscientists, the goal is not to dominate academic research into nanotechnology

I went to the groundbreaking on Thursday. It was really interesting and they have already started digging out the canals. Had a chance to meet the developers too. Really cool people with Historic Real Estate.

I went to the groundbreaking on Thursday. It was really interesting and they have already started digging out the canals. Had a chance to meet the developers too. Really cool people with Historic Real Estate.

For inquiring minds. Can you elaborate on what you thought was "really interesting"? I know that the development team is working hard (as I see the same cars parked at the trailer day after day), but do you think this thing really has a chance? Did they throw out dates? Phase descriptions? Tenants (signed or otherwise)? Moving dirt is a good first step (which shows that they have some financing for the soft/hard costs up to this point), but the real commitment of resources is evident by the installation of the infrastructure (IMO).

If you go to their website http://www.waterlightsdistrict.com/polling/ they are still taking votes for which restaurants to put in. That tells me they aren't even close. Or they suck at updating their website.

Website still hasn't changed. If you can still vote on the tenants you want (completely different than choosing who lands there), they probably don't have any signed up.

http://www.waterlightsdistrict.com/

For inquiring minds. Can you elaborate on what you thought was "really interesting"? I know that the development team is working hard (as I see the same cars parked at the trailer day after day), but do you think this thing really has a chance? Did they throw out dates? Phase descriptions? Tenants (signed or otherwise)? Moving dirt is a good first step (which shows that they have some financing for the soft/hard costs up to this point), but the real commitment of resources is evident by the installation of the infrastructure (IMO).

Well, they had t-shirts, development plans, the mayor of Pearland, the lady who is heading up Nano World, and city councilmembers from Pearland. They are definitely digging out the canal and apparently gaining traction in moving forward. It was interesting to me to see the plans, see the progress being made on construction, and visualizing the final development and the presidential park.

I don't live in Pearland so do not know how it will take with residents there, but if it is anything like the anchor Woodlands Waterway (or whatever it is called) this place is going to be a hit with residents, businesses, and visitors to the Houston region.

Anything new on WaterLights Disctict? Btw, Nano World Headquarters is dead.

Two Houston technology companies have shifted operations to Silicon Valley.

This month, Pricelock Inc. announced the company

The city of Pearland projects report for March, 2009 shows this entry on page 30. I am thinking that water and sewer contract is for the Waterlight district. If so, it is not slated to finish until Nov. 2009, and this might be what is holding up other construction there. Of course, I might be totally wrong. -_-

The city of Pearland projects report for March, 2009 shows this entry on page 30. I am thinking that water and sewer contract is for the Waterlight district. If so, it is not slated to finish until Nov. 2009, and this might be what is holding up other construction there. Of course, I might be totally wrong. -_-

Nope, this must be for the work that is going on on the East side of 288 approaching the Beltway and the east bound service road. They are clearing trees and you can see them installing underground drainage along the Beltway service road. Sorry to let you down but any future Waterlights development is a private matter. It's tough right now for commercial real estate so don't be too anxious. Look at all the vacant retail space around the Shadow Creek area.

I thought I drove by last week and saw a sign that had a different website posted, I tried to remember it but failed. The old website still hasn't been updated in 50 years and is pointless.

Nope, this must be for the work that is going on on the East side of 288 approaching the Beltway and the east bound service road. They are clearing trees and you can see them installing underground drainage along the Beltway service road. Sorry to let you down but any future Waterlights development is a private matter. It's tough right now for commercial real estate so don't be too anxious. Look at all the vacant retail space around the Shadow Creek area.

Yeah, I had noticed that construction on the east side. Your logic makes sense.

is this ever coming?

coming2009.com or coming2010.com or comingnever.com

I dont see anything happening on the site (on the 288 side)

image004.jpg

The WaterLights District will include a new national destination --The Presidential Park & Gardens, featuring 43 larger-than-life statutes of all the United States Presidents (Washington to Obama) in a pristine garden setting. This multi-million dollar park will serve as a major attraction for the local community and tourists alike. The Presidential Park & Gardens will be located on Hwy 288 south just south of the Bass Pro Shops in a beautiful, heavily wooded setting between the WaterLights Grand Canal and Clear Creek on the southern border of the WaterLights District.

We would appreciate your feedback. Please complete our online survey and send to your friends to complete. The more votes we get, the sooner the park will be built.

It is our hope and plan to open the park in the Fall 2009.

Are there any plans for them to move out of pearland? The first question in this voting is

Would you like The Presidential Park & Gardens to be located within The WaterLights District in Pearland?

I did not get this question.

It is our hope and plan to open the park in the Fall 2009.

Yeah...right :rolleyes: Who are they kidding?

Edited by Timnwendy

www.coming2009.com not working (under construction )

Here is a blog from chron http://blogs.chron.com/pearland/2009/06/wh...aterlights.html

What's up with the Waterlights District?

As I wrote in my last blog entry, I put a call in to David Goswick of Historic Real Estate, the developer of Waterlights District to ask him for a status update on the project. Yesterday I met with Goswick as well as Richard Browne, the urban planner for the project.

I drive by the six president sculptures that were installed in February 2008, and Anna-Megan and I get a lot of comments asking when exactly the project will be "coming soon," as the signs promise. I have to say I've wondered when exactly soon is, too.

According to Goswick and Browne, what will be coming soon, as in this fall, is a "soft opening" of the Presidential Park with a total of 12 presidential sculptures spread out over the property that the public will be allowed to view. (Last year Goswick told Robert Stanton the other presidents would be in by March of this year, so you're not imagining things, the project is taking a little longer expected.)

Currently, the city is working to put in utilities along what was once South Spectrum Boulevard but has been renamed Waterlights Parkway. When that's finished, the Waterlights District developer will begin construction on the first building -- a 96,000-square-foot structure that will have about four restaurants and a wine bar, Goswick said.

The timeline? It will be about another 14 to 18 months before the building is completed and businesses opened. The economy has set the project back when it comes to securing business for the development, Goswick said.

"Developments of this size and scope take a long time to create, and then you throw in the economy on top of it. ... We've been hesitant to accept contracts because of the past six months' economic situation. We're worried about people being able to get financing," he said.

He was hesitant to say what businesses would open. Contracts are being looked at, but nothing signed yet. They would like to have a restaurant such as Killen's Steakhouse to anchor it, he said.

"It's gone a little bit slow because of the recession, but we've been doing the planning things you don't see from the car driving by," Browne added.

Browne pointed out some of the design elements organizers have added and modified since the project was conceived. For example, instead of isolated ponds, they are planning on one continuous waterway with connecting canals. (It will be like the "Venice of Texas," by the time it's done, he added.)

Also planned for the 50 acres are 1,400 residential units, 300,000 square feet of office space, 100,000 square feet of retail space, 115,000 square feet of restaurant space and 500 hotel rooms. All of it situated within walking distance of the Presidential Park, a place to roam and learn about the country's history.

I'm not sure exactly how long a project of this scale is supposed to take, but Browne, who also helped develop The Woodlands, said it will take time.

Rome wasn't built in a day, nor The Woodlands, and I guess Waterlights (the "Venice of Texas") won't be either. What do you think?

Whoa. Glad I found this thread as I've been researching Pearland some.

If you go to their website http://www.waterlightsdistrict.com/polling/ they are still taking votes for which restaurants to put in. That tells me they aren't even close. Or they suck at updating their website.

Now over a year later, they are still taking votes.

not sure of pearland's zoning but mock my words, those type of developments will be out there to make a quick buck...there's a reason why the tax credit apartments pop up on all sides of town

Watch out for these. Two high profile ones right now in other areas. The developers of these low income places basically get huge tax breaks for building crap places that kill the neighborhood. It's completely illogical.

Anything new on WaterLights Disctict? Btw, Nano World Headquarters is dead.

Hey where did you hear Nano World is dead? Do you have a link or something?

Drove by it today at around 7:30pm. People are literally worshipping it... people had mats and were bowing down before it... please tell me that was a joke. :o

I wouldn't be surprised in the least actually.

Watch out for these. Two high profile ones right now in other areas. The developers of these low income places basically get huge tax breaks for building crap places that kill the neighborhood. It's completely illogical.

I would imagine many of them will go in either unincorporated Brazoria, unincorporated Fort Bend, unincorporated Harris, or in Houston, near Pearland. AFAIK Pearland's zoning restricts the amount of space that multi-family housing can use.

Look at the zoning map here: http://gisweb2.ci.pearland.tx.us/mox52/pla...x52_if_frameset

Edited by VicMan

It looks like http://www.coming2009.com/ is no more website for the presidential park even though the sign board at the land site still has it. Now this website has info about its founder.

You know how this development has progressed. Type in "coming2010" instead of 2009 and there it is. Note, next year add a year to the website if 2010 shuts down.

At first I thought you were kidding .

:lol:B):P

I did not find banghead emoticon ..................

You know how this development has progressed. Type in "coming2010" instead of 2009 and there it is. Note, next year add a year to the website if 2010 shuts down.

That's funny. They already have the developer's info on 'coming2011', they'll move waterlights district to it in 2011 I'm sure.

That just marks the 3rd BS pointless website related to this project. Never gonna happen.

I do believe it's gonna happen, but this economy has put the brakes on so many projects. Might be well into Fall 2010 or even Spring 2011 before they really get moving again.