Ivy District: Mixed-Use Development In Pearland

clearman

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/news/6128992.html

The bold, but still unfunded, plan calls for the development of a large facility where nascent nanotechnology companies can gain access to lab space and expensive, sensitive equipment without having to buy it.

With nanotechnology, Houston has some built-in advantages over other parts of the country. The basic research of the late Rick Smalley, Rice University's Nobel Prize-winning nanoscientist, and others has made the institution a world leader in the field. The region also has large industrial bases in energy, health and aerospace, fields in which nanotechnology is expected to make a significant impact.

"Houston's in a race to become the global leader of nanotechnology," said the project's developer, David Goswick. "This is how we can win."

For local nanoscientists, the goal is not to dominate academic research into nanotechnology

• 3 weeks later...
I went to the groundbreaking on Thursday. It was really interesting and they have already started digging out the canals. Had a chance to meet the developers too. Really cool people with Historic Real Estate.

For inquiring minds. Can you elaborate on what you thought was "really interesting"? I know that the development team is working hard (as I see the same cars parked at the trailer day after day), but do you think this thing really has a chance? Did they throw out dates? Phase descriptions? Tenants (signed or otherwise)? Moving dirt is a good first step (which shows that they have some financing for the soft/hard costs up to this point), but the real commitment of resources is evident by the installation of the infrastructure (IMO).

If you go to their website http://www.waterlightsdistrict.com/polling/ they are still taking votes for which restaurants to put in. That tells me they aren't even close. Or they suck at updating their website.

Website still hasn't changed. If you can still vote on the tenants you want (completely different than choosing who lands there), they probably don't have any signed up.

http://www.waterlightsdistrict.com/

For inquiring minds. Can you elaborate on what you thought was "really interesting"? I know that the development team is working hard (as I see the same cars parked at the trailer day after day), but do you think this thing really has a chance? Did they throw out dates? Phase descriptions? Tenants (signed or otherwise)? Moving dirt is a good first step (which shows that they have some financing for the soft/hard costs up to this point), but the real commitment of resources is evident by the installation of the infrastructure (IMO).

Well, they had t-shirts, development plans, the mayor of Pearland, the lady who is heading up Nano World, and city councilmembers from Pearland. They are definitely digging out the canal and apparently gaining traction in moving forward. It was interesting to me to see the plans, see the progress being made on construction, and visualizing the final development and the presidential park.

I don't live in Pearland so do not know how it will take with residents there, but if it is anything like the anchor Woodlands Waterway (or whatever it is called) this place is going to be a hit with residents, businesses, and visitors to the Houston region.

• 1 month later...

Histric Real Estate has announced they will continue with their three major projects despite the economy...

WaterLights District / Presidential Park

Nano World Headquarters

The Peninsula on Clear Lake

http://www.realtynewsreport.com/HoustonDeals.htm

first few paragraphs...

Despite the severe national downturn in real estate development, causing many large-scale projects to halt or slow operations, Historic Real Estate is forging ahead with a multitude of high-profile economic and real estate development projects.

The company

Found this article (written by HRE)...

Excerpt

The creation of NWHQ is moving forward at a pivotal moment as the new administration is advocating a stimulus plan (The American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan) to strengthen large-scale "shovel-ready" projects that will create new jobs, embody energy efficiency approaches, and further scientific innovations. NWHQ is an ideal candidate for funding through the stimulus package due to its potential to strengthen the United States economy in the immediate and long term.

The organization is established as a 501

Edited by lockmat

Found this article (written by HRE)...

Excerpt

http://news.prnewswire.com/ViewContent.asp...1391&EDATE=

and this nano blogger doesn't think too highly of the project...

http://cientifica.eu/blog/?p=839

BTW, I have met the principles in HRE and they seem to be a very genuine and dedicated bunch. I like their approach to development.

I've seen a (not so great) rendering of the Nano Headquarters. Also NanoHeadquarters will be near 288 just outside the loop correct? yes? no?

Here's an artist concept.

260xStory-8.jpg

From November.

An artist's concept shows the WaterLights District in Pearland, which would include a waterway, condominiums, hotels, office buildings and a facility that would promote nanotechnology development.

A local developer and a group of scientists hope to show that even the little stuff is bigger in Texas.

They want to create something called "Nano World Headquarters" just south of Houston in a 150-acre Pearland development called the WaterLights District.

Edited by UpuPUp!

Maybe it's just me and my spotty memory, but I seem to recall driving by signs for Waterlights District for years now: "Coming 2007", "Coming 2008", "Coming 2009".

I'm not saying it's not coming, but I think the developers were a little optimistic with their original timeline.

Does anyone know the real story? I know their property backs up to Clear Creek...maybe the problems have to do with either approvals to develop in floodplain/floodway or maybe some USACE permitting issues? Knowing where the project is, those would be my first two guesses. Either one of those issues could easily delay a project for a couple years.

That artist's rendition paints (no pun) a rather ambituous development. Seems like I recall the Chronicle making references to a large scale project suited to the growing nanotech industry in Houston but this was from maybe 2004. I doubt this is the exact project they were hinting at then but I could see how it might have grown out of a culture of expanding interests concerning these types of projects.

Hope this is the real groundbreaker for the industry going large here in town.

The more I think of it, the less it makes sense to build something like this so far away from the universities and the TMC. I know somebody's going to tell me it's not far, but just ask a visiting scientist who wants to work on nanotech research between Rice, the TMC, and the Nano World thing what they think about traveling to Pear Land.

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks. Yeah Carbon Nanotech was Smalley's company which was bought a few years ago by Unidym, but they were supposed to keep their staff here in Houston. I tried to get an internship with them for my Master's at Rice but they weren't interested. They said it had something to do with the merger. Now they are leaving which is bad news for everybody here.

• 1 month later...
The city of Pearland projects report for March, 2009 shows this entry on page 30. I am thinking that water and sewer contract is for the Waterlight district. If so, it is not slated to finish until Nov. 2009, and this might be what is holding up other construction there. Of course, I might be totally wrong. -_-

Nope, this must be for the work that is going on on the East side of 288 approaching the Beltway and the east bound service road. They are clearing trees and you can see them installing underground drainage along the Beltway service road. Sorry to let you down but any future Waterlights development is a private matter. It's tough right now for commercial real estate so don't be too anxious. Look at all the vacant retail space around the Shadow Creek area.

Nope, this must be for the work that is going on on the East side of 288 approaching the Beltway and the east bound service road. They are clearing trees and you can see them installing underground drainage along the Beltway service road. Sorry to let you down but any future Waterlights development is a private matter. It's tough right now for commercial real estate so don't be too anxious. Look at all the vacant retail space around the Shadow Creek area.

Yeah, I had noticed that construction on the east side. Your logic makes sense.