Jerry Falwell Dead at 73

RedScare

I won't be disrespectful, but I can't help but say, good riddance.

That whole "this is a Christian nation" is BS; our country is a huge mix of people, and I am glad he is down below where he belongs.

That and his 9/11 theories are uncalled for. We did not deserve it and he made it seem like the U.S. asked for it.

Shocking to say the least. I think I only saw this guy on Larry King. I am sure too much is not going to change with the Moral Majority. I am sure he will be remembered and brought up within the M&M's like Ronald Reagan and the GOP.

That whole "this is a Christian nation" is BS; our country is a huge mix of people, and I am glad he is down below where he belongs.

That and his 9/11 theories are uncalled for. We did not deserve it and he made it seem like the U.S. asked for it.

you realize what you just wrote is just as polarizing as what he did.

you realize what you just wrote is just as polarizing as what he did.

Absolutely not. Everything he wrote is grounded in fact and reality -- completely different from the "supernatural spirit world" people like Falwell claimed to divine.

Absolutely not. Everything he wrote is grounded in fact and reality -- completely different from the "supernatural spirit world" people like Falwell claimed to divine.

He was fanatical and thought his way was the right way.

What goes around comes around, I guess "god" told him to eat all that bad food and not excercise so he could have cardiac arrest.

At 73, he lived a decently long life as unhealthy as he was; so really he lived longer than I would have expected.

Glad you didn't want to be disrespectful. :rolleyes:

I myself am not gonna lose any sleep over his passing, he was a little too far right for me, so far he actually fell off the wing. I am sure there are more than a few Libs. like Puma, ready to dance a jig at Jerry's funeral. I am sure Larry Flynt will be there to run over his grave with his wheelchair also. I wonder who will try to jump up onto Falwell's pulpit, perhaps Olsteen can become a good middle of the road, indoctrinator of the "Moral Spirit" ?

The news telling was strange...

I was in my English classroom at lunchtime, relaxing as I surfed the internet. Upon seeing CNN the first time, the cover article stated that Falwell was rushed to the hospital. So, a few moments later a kid using another computer in the middle of the room said "Oh, Jerry Falwell is dead!" At first I was like, "Dude, Falwell isn't dead - he is just in the hospital" - Then I re-checked CNN.com to find the cover now stating...

I exclaimed, "He IS dead."

(I didn't look at his computer as my computer was against the wall)

Then I ran out the door and started yelling at the kids in the courtyard, spreading the odd news.

I didn't realize that Falwell had such a large grip on 1980s politics; I remember him for saying that Tinky-Winky was homosexual.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18679412/

Can't say I liked either his religion or his politics, but his impact on both in the last few decades was undeniable.

I agree that his impact was significant, but from my perspective the impact wasn't positive. Of course, I think that religion should keep its hands out of politics as in "render to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." Not only didn't I agree with his religion or his politics, but I thought Jerry Falwell was a bit of a kook. Wasn't he the evangelical minister who in the late 90s warned parents that the Telletubies might be recruiting their pre-verbal infants to homosexuality when he claimed that Tinky could be a hidden homosexual symbol, saying "he is purple

The news telling was strange...

I was in my English classroom at lunchtime, relaxing as I surfed the internet. Upon seeing CNN the first time, the cover article stated that Falwell was rushed to the hospital. So, a few moments later a kid using another computer in the middle of the room said "Oh, Jerry Falwell is dead!" At first I was like, "Dude, Falwell isn't dead - he is just in the hospital" - Then I re-checked CNN.com to find the cover now stating...

I exclaimed, "He IS dead."

(I didn't look at his computer as my computer was against the wall)

Then I ran out the door and started yelling at the kids in the courtyard, spreading the odd news.

I didn't realize that Falwell had such a large grip on 1980s politics; I remember him for saying that Tinky-Winky was homosexual.

Was it that big of a deal? I didn't even know who this guy was until today (or I don't remember him).

Was it that big of a deal? I didn't even know who this guy was until today (or I don't remember him).

Well, he held a lot of political power in the 1980s - he was partly responsible for the resurgence of Conservatism in the United States in the 1980s.

He is also known for controversial statements made in the 1990s and 2000s, such as the Teletubbies statement.

Osteen is not interested in politics. He is only into bubble gum religion....oh, and his bank account.

concur. when you meet him in person, somethings become more obvious. i have to put him up there with sheila jackson lee when it comes to a camera. the smile comes out when the camera is on.

He was fanatical and thought his way was the right way.

Good thing we don't have any HAIF posters like that :rolleyes:

When I heard the news on the radio, I thought, "I bet there are a few HAIFers rejoicing in the streets."

I wish I could have bought stock in that.

Lets not wish the man to hell or anything is all I'm saying. This is coming from people who would otherwise claim to be liberated, open minded, and tolerant. The man fought for his convictions the same way those that hate him wish they could impose their views on those that call themselves fundamentalist Christians.

Was the guy off the edge of the right wing. Yes. Did he make ridiculous polarizing statements. Yes (but so do I)hehe.. Look, the man to my knowledge never claimed to be anything but a preacher and a civic leader. He was not a policy maker although he influenced policy to his credit. I have some respect for his convictions and his role he played through those convictions, but he may have been a Nutter at times.

P.S. I've watched them.... teletubbies are gay!!

I think all of those television preachers are pompous snobs that love the spotlight and use religion to feed their egos. It's almost always the fundamentalist types that seek this fame. I dare you to name a popular Episcopal minister, or a media star catholic priest (not counting the pope). These television preachers think they are bigger than God themselves.

I think all of those television preachers are pompous snobs that love the spotlight and use religion to feed their egos. It's almost always the fundamentalist types that seek this fame. I dare you to name a popular Episcopal minister, or a media star catholic priest (not counting the pope). These television preachers think they are bigger than God themselves.

why are you excluding the pope? if he fits the description

Lets not wish the man to hell or anything is all I'm saying. This is coming from people who would otherwise claim to be liberated, open minded, and tolerant. The man fought for his convictions the same way those that hate him wish they could impose their views on those that call themselves fundamentalist Christians.

Was the guy off the edge of the right wing. Yes. Did he make ridiculous polarizing statements. Yes (but so do I)hehe.. Look, the man to my knowledge never claimed to be anything but a preacher and a civic leader. He was not a policy maker although he influenced policy to his credit. I have some respect for his convictions and his role he played through those convictions, but he may have been a Nutter at times.

P.S. I've watched them.... teletubbies are gay!!

People are not liberated, open minded about and tolerant of bigotry and intolerance.

And its not a fair comparison. Not really the same kind of conviction, one side fights to impose bigotry and intolerance. the other fights to 'impose' acceptance.

One is the cause of the other, if not for fundies' conviction to impose on others, there would not exist the conviction to fight back that imposition.

I do not wish him hell.

People are not liberated, open minded about and tolerant of bigotry and intolerance.

perhaps they should be if they expect others to be tolerant of themselves.

it's all about perspective

so he thinks you are dispicable

you think the same of him.

two sides, move on.

They love the $$, too.

"I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians ... the A.C.L.U., People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say, 'You helped this [9/11] happen.'"

It seems whenever he opened his mouth it was just to change feet.

What a fitting end to a devotee of the 6th deadly sin: Gluttony.

perhaps they should be if they expect others to be tolerant of themselves.

it's all about perspective

so he thinks you are dispicable

you think the same of him.

two sides, move on.

It is most definitely not perspective in this case.

One side fights to control somebody else. The other fights to stop being controlled.

Fundies want non-fundies to live like them.

Non-fundies do not want fundies to live like non-fundies, non-fundies just want to live the way they want to live.

Will move on when the lying stops.

Archived