Namibia

According to the Houston Business Journal, Namibia has become Houston's 87th consulate! It is the 9th African nation to be represented in the Bayou City with a consular office.

If it can promote Namibia as a destination, that would be great- a stunningly beautiful place.

If it can promote Namibia as a destination, that would be great- a stunningly beautiful place.

Interesting. Have you been there? Like most Americans I know virtually nothing about the place.

Travelocity can't find a route between IAH and Windhoek, Namibia. Is the best route in to fly into South Africa and then take a regional carrier?

Frankfurt and or London Heathrow are the best options to take. Going through JoBurgh adds a lot of time onto your trip. There used to be 4 days weekly service from Brussels as well, but i dont know if it is still going since Sabena went belly up.

Agreed. Simply awesome place. I was there in 1995 and traveled to Windhoek and Swakopmund. Even got a chance to climb Dune 7. THAT was incredible!

Interesting. Have you been there? Like most Americans I know virtually nothing about the place.

Yeah, I spent about 2 weeks there in November 2005 as part of a tour through eastern and southern Africa. My partner is also from that part of the world. In my opinion, it, along with Sotuh Africa and Botswana, are the best ways to start to see Africa as they are all countries that work (you can drink the water, good roads, electricity, etc), you can easily travel on your own, but it is still Africa.

The scenary and wildlife are amazing - very dry compared to the Africa of Kenya or even Kruger in South Africa. Quite conducive to cheetahs. The Namib desert with the red dunes macbro mentioned are really unique. I'll try to post some pictures I have to the place. And the history/people add that extra level - as well as the different African groups (including the San or Bushman), it was also a colony of South Africa up until 1990, and the Germans originally colonized it. In Swakopmund people would often try speak to me in German, Afrikaans or English as they don't know where you are from.

There are only about 2 million people there, and the size of Texas, which is part of its charm. But as result, it isn't easy to get there. Going via Jo'burg has perhaps the greatest options (more flights, and you don't have to go into Windhoek, but Walvis Bay/Swakopmund), though I think you can get some flights straight from London -depends on you comfort level flying smaller airlines (I think only Namibian Airways is scheduled - BA and Lufthansa did at one point). You might be able to go via Cape Town too, which would be a great trip- Namibia and Cape Town would be hard to beat.

I could babble on for hours about it (and the rest of Africa) so I'll stop there.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived