When I was in the Eastend last friday I drove by my old house at 6640 Avenue L. I could hardly get through the streets over there. 67th was all torn up as was 66th from ave. K all the way to Canal. It was one big muddy mess. At one point my posi-traction light came on. I was going to take pictures but it just looked way too bad and I surely didnt want to remember my neighborhood like that. Does anyone know whats up? Whatever it is I hope its for the better.

When I was in the Eastend last friday I drove by my old house at 6640 Avenue L. I could hardly get through the streets over there. 67th was all torn up as was 66th from ave. K all the way to Canal. It was one big muddy mess. At one point my posi-traction light came on. I was going to take pictures but it just looked way too bad and I surely didnt want to remember my neighborhood like that. Does anyone know whats up? Whatever it is I hope its for the better.

while i haven't ridden my bike over there recently, the streets were good not too long ago. i know that public works is doing quite a bit of sewer work all over town so that might be it.

while i haven't ridden my bike over there recently, the streets were good not too long ago. i know that public works is doing quite a bit of sewer work all over town so that might be it.

Thats probably it. I wonder why they had to tear it all up at once. I feel sorry for the people over there. It looks so depressing. Well Musicman, dont ride your bike over there now unless you want that mud streak up your back. Thanks for the info.

Thats probably it. I wonder why they had to tear it all up at once. I feel sorry for the people over there. It looks so depressing. Well Musicman, dont ride your bike over there now unless you want that mud streak up your back. Thanks for the info.

well better to do it all at once than to prolong the agony.

That is child's play compared to what Harrisburg will look like once The new Rail starts ripping up the joint. Detours will divert everyone under the sun our way. That should take oh about how many years?

It seems like residents will be dodging bullets for decades. If not a new stadium or other bad development ideas.

I say we all win the lotto and blow this joint! :wacko::lol:

That is child's play compared to what Harrisburg will look like once The new Rail starts ripping up the joint. Detours will divert everyone under the sun our way. That should take oh about how many years?

It seems like residents will be dodging bullets for decades. If not a new stadium or other bad development ideas.

I say we all win the lotto and blow this joint! :wacko::lol:

I've been out of the loop. What new rail? Where, when? Harrisburg is too narrow for anything to be put in.

Harrisburg is too narrow for anything to be put in.

don't tell that to eastwood, east end mgmt district or metro. metro will be promoting one lane down harrisburg when their plan comes out. i feel sorry for the businesses that use large trucks along harrisburg. access for them (and residents) will be hindered. i'll bet lenox ends up closing due to their proximity to the street.

don't tell that to eastwood, east end mgmt district or metro. metro will be promoting one lane down harrisburg when their plan comes out. i feel sorry for the businesses that use large trucks along harrisburg. access for them (and residents) will be hindered. i'll bet lenox ends up closing due to their proximity to the street.

Got that right Musicman!

The only thing worth saving is LENOX BARBECUE. IMO. EESusan see East End Corridor topic. Remember Harrisburg as it once was and weep.

I know that the Eastwood Civic Assn. and GEEMD are delicately (and sometimes not so delicately) putting off signals as though they welcome gentrification and the renovation and demolition of older homes that it would entail, but what is their interest in losing lanes or commercial buildings along Harrisburg?

Got that right Musicman!

The only thing worth saving is LENOX BARBECUE. IMO. EESusan see East End Corridor topic. Remember Harrisburg as it once was and weep.

Say it isnt so!! What will I do without my Lenox BBQ sauce?? I drink that stuff!! Will I get to keep Hendrix Grain and Feed? Oh the memories. I really need to get back over there and get a pic of the building that looks like a silo on Harrisburg and 66th. The building next to it says Texas Belt something or other.

Guest danax
Got that right Musicman!

C'mon, Vert. On the one hand you dislike the way the Harrisburg area is in its current state but now you're disliking the change that could attract a new set of residents and retail over there? Just look what's happened to Midtown since the rail arrived! On second thought....scratch that last sentence....

I know that the Eastwood Civic Assn. and GEEMD are delicately (and sometimes not so delicately) putting off signals as though they welcome gentrification and the renovation and demolition of older homes that it would entail, but what is their interest in losing lanes or commercial buildings along Harrisburg?

quotes i've heard were "anything would be better than what is currently there" and "there's nothing there that is worth saving." Very ironic since they are into preservation. I know most of the vocal ones in the Eastwood hood want the neighborhoods north of harrisburg to be bulldozed (particularly the one that the bike trail goes through). that was made clear at the metro meeting at marabella a few weeks ago but their plan was foiled when the planners said they got too many inputs from citizens to save all neighborhoods. i won't say it is a caucasian vs hispanic issue...but it makes one wonder.

as for going to one lane on harrisburg, it is their hopes that the mexican bus services on harrisburg will be forced to move because of the sharp turns that would be necessary should lanes be taken away. But at the same time, all other businesses that require big trucks will also be affected.

Say it isnt so!! What will I do without my Lenox BBQ sauce?? I drink that stuff!! Will I get to keep Hendrix Grain and Feed? Oh the memories. I really need to get back over there and get a pic of the building that looks like a silo on Harrisburg and 66th. The building next to it says Texas Belt something or other.

i'm still keeping my fingers cross on lenox and a few other classic buildings. i think hendricks grain store will be ok. i just hope their deliveries aren't affected.

C'mon, Vert. On the one hand you dislike the way the Harrisburg area is in its current state but now you're disliking the change that could attract a new set of residents and retail over there? Just look what's happened to Midtown since the rail arrived! On second thought....scratch that last sentence....

Ok, I am standing too close to the catnip today, I've backed my chair up a little. :P

I just keep hearing the comments from the Urban Corridor topic where I distinctly heard one of the reps (in person) say that business's will not come to that area unless they know they will turn a big profit to hang around. I mean it implies that a nice new business only expects people with above average salaries to shop there. Ok, stop the presses... this area has been at poverty level for decades.

So we should assume that if a few townhomes are built that all the poor will vanish and the place is professionals all over the place? Harrisburg? I think we better all pass around plenty of LSD and trip in to oblivion. Maybe we should just scratch all of my comments since I did indicate I hate that area and its like trying to reform an excon or waving around a bottle of booze at an AA meeting.

They cant build all new and shiny and thats wondeful but look a few blocks over to Sherman...as MCoog said Oy Vey! Bupkes! I wipe my hands of the whole mess.

I will cry for Lenox BB for sure good memories of my 1st job as a little paisan! mille grazie!

Ok, I am standing too close to the catnip today, I've backed my chair up a little. :P

I just keep hearing the comments from the Urban Corridor topic where I distinctly heard one of the reps (in person) say that business's will not come to that area unless they know they will turn a big profit to hang around. I mean it implies that a nice new business only expects people with above average salaries to shop there. Ok, stop the presses... this area has been at poverty level for decades.

So we should assume that if a few townhomes are built that all the poor will vanish and the place is professionals all over the place? Harrisburg? I think we better all pass around plenty of LSD and trip in to oblivion. Maybe we should just scratch all of my comments since I did indicate I hate that area and its like trying to reform an excon or waving around a bottle of booze at an AA meeting.

They cant build all new and shiny and thats wondeful but look a few blocks over to Sherman...as MCoog said Oy Vey! Bupkes! I wipe my hands of the whole mess.

I will cry for Lenox BB for sure good memories of my 1st job as a little paisan! mille grazie!

Was it just a part of life that every boy that went to Austin had to work for a while at Lenox? My brother worked there catering parties as did a few of my friends. At one time they rolled a pony keg out of the truck into a ditch before a party and came back and got it later. Bad boys!

Was it just a part of life that every boy that went to Austin had to work for a while at Lenox? My brother worked there catering parties as did a few of my friends. At one time they rolled a pony keg out of the truck into a ditch before a party and came back and got it later. Bad boys!

Yep, seemed like every other guy we knew in the area worked there for a short time. We knew the Lucas's and the owners for years. Hilarious stories indeed. Any time I hear the word rum cake I think Lenox. My uncle even lived on Lenox street next to the RR tracks. :lol: While at Lenox we used to cater to that Gus Wortham Golf Course club house. See Mansions of East End or Past Structures of EE, good photos someone was gracious enough to enter of the once beautiful but long gone Clubhouse, it was grand. -_-

Yep, seemed like every other guy we knew in the area worked there for a short time. We knew the Lucas's and the owners for years. Hilarious stories indeed. Any time I hear the word rum cake I think Lenox. My uncle even lived on Lenox street next to the RR tracks. :lol: While at Lenox we used to cater to that Gus Wortham Golf Course club house. See Mansions of East End or Past Structures of EE, good photos someone was gracious enough to enter of the once beautiful but long gone Clubhouse, it was grand. -_-

My step dad worked for Metallic Steel for years and they had one of their summer parties at the club house over there. I was probably about 7 or so but I remember how beautiful everything was. It was also catered by Lenox. Geez I'm hungry.

So we should assume that if a few townhomes are built that all the poor will vanish and the place is professionals all over the place? Harrisburg?

Land values typically decline in poor neighborhoods to the point at which rent becomes low enough that businesses can afford to locate there. If the situtation becomes too desperate, you start seeing demolition activity. What scares me is the possibility that speculators betting on rapid gentrification could push land values and rents up beyond the point at which existing businesses can afford to stay there, but prior to there being a demographic base that can support businesses catering to new yuppie residents...like in Midtown...and that the dead zone turns some prospective yuppie residents off to the neighborhood...like in Midtown. My hope, though, is that BRT will not cause as much of a stir among speculators as does light rail.

By the way, if poor people are so desperate and unable or willing to spend money, how did Gulfgate succeed?

• The title was changed to Road Work

Archived