Home At 5006 North Braeswood Blvd.

BenH

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/zoomanderson/DSC_0018copy.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r85/zoomanderson/DSC_0022copy.jpg

The address is 5006 N. Braeswood

there's a commercial out now that reminded me of benny hill. i had not heard the music in at least 20 yrs.

Focus, people. We're trying to figure out who designed the house, remember?

Wasn't that block of Braeswood a Parade of Homes street? HCAD says 1960. Too bad those Parade of Homes brocheres are so rare! Meyerland has so many interesting homes, but I don't really know many of the architects involved aside from the Jackwood Parade of Homes. What we need to do is to start finding some original owners who saw Meyerland built and see who has original plans and at least get those known. Probably, houses in Meyerland are on the verge of being torn down for McMansions (though some of the houses are pretty big as is!) so we should document them as much as possible.

Jason

Wasn't that block of Braeswood a Parade of Homes street? HCAD says 1960. Too bad those Parade of Homes brocheres are so rare!

Jason

Here is an updated copy of my post from November 23, 2004 from the Atomic Ranch- Mid Century Modern topic:

The Parade of Homes in Houston was proclaimed the biggest and best home show in the nation at the time. It was a testing ground for housing desires and trends. Life magazine was involved and survey results were presented at the National Home Builders conventions.

These are the locations of the Parade of Homes events for the first twelve years:

Nov. 1952 Edgewood- 32 houses at 5800 block of Willow Glen Drive

Sep. 1953 Oak Forest- 30 houses at 4300 block Libbey Lane

Sep. 1954 City Wide- 32 houses at Airline Manor, Ayrshire, Braeburn CC Estates, Cedarwood, Creekside Manor, Holly Hill, Long Point woods, Pine Terrace, Ridgecrest, Robindell, Shepherd Forest, Spring Branch Woods, Valley Forge, and Willow Bend

June 1955 Meyerland- 30 houses at 5100 Jackwood St. and 8700 Prichett Drive

May 1956 Glenbrook Valley- 30 houses at 8200 block of Cayton Street

May 1957 Briarmeadow- 26 houses on Longfield Circle and Richmond

April 1958 Sharpstown- 32 houses at 7000 Langdon

April 1959 Westbury- 35 houses at 5800 block Warm Springs

May 1960 Walnut Bend- 31 houses on Olimpia

May 1961 Briargrove Park- 29 houses on Briarpark & Burgoyne

July 1962 Sharpstown- 33 houses at 8900 block of Rowan Lane

Oct 1963 Sharpstown- 18 houses at 8500 block of Dashwood Drive

• 11 months later...
DSC_0018copy.jpg

DSC_0022copy.jpg

missjanel wins this one. According to her report (and the drawings) an H. Oberdieck designed this house. An Ursula Oberdieck designed a house in Glenbrook Valley; no word on whether or not there's a relation.

Speaking of this type of research...

Houston Mod would like to see Meyerland systematically researched to discover the architects for Meyerland's most interesting houses. Anyone interested in helping out with this Houston Mod "mega-mission" please feel free to pm me to volunteer. It has to be on my "back burner" for now, as I am about to dive headlong into researching Bill Jenkins, but it is really something we'd love to see done on a house by house basis. Obviously there were some good architects out there we've never heard of, and the more names we unearth the richer our architectural heritage can be.

I'm sure Missjanel would be happy to help us get started, but I doubt she wants to do it all herself.

Jason

missjanel wins this one. According to her report (and the drawings) an H. Oberdieck designed this house. An Ursula Oberdieck designed a house in Glenbrook Valley; no word on whether or not there's a relation.

DSC_0018copy.jpg

DSC_0022copy.jpg

I can't say for sure, but I'm pretty confident that the angled vertical column things aren't original. I recall this house being remodeled when I lived over there (late 90's) and those being added. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :).

• 12 years later...
  • The title was changed to Ultimate 50's Mod At 5006 North Braeswood Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Home At 5006 North Braeswood Blvd.

Archived