Will The Real Montrose Please Stand Up?

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed how Highland Village is always the first shopping center in Houston to put up Christmas decorations and last to take them down? Usually by Halloween they're all lit up and some years it's almost February 1 before they get them down. I know this year I was traveling for work much of January and February and I remember coming home between trips the second week of February and driving by and seeing the big red bows still on top of the buildings.

But they are great decorations and give the place a great holiday atmosphere. I just think they could be a little more prompt in taking them down.

The same company does the decorations for the River Oaks Shopping Center, Meyerland, Champions Village, Woodlands Mall, and so forth, it may be because they are limited in their ability to get everyone down at once. Last year, though, didn't they want to leave lighting up through super bowl or something? Or did I imagine that? Seems like I heard that somewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

I have lived in Houston for 19 of the past 24 years. The last 4 have been in The Montrose, the previous 10 in The Heights, and before that outside the loop.

The Montrose has much more of an urban feel to it than The Heights. (The Small Town inside the Big City, one of the old slogans for The Heights, is not far off.) We can walk to many shops and restaurants now, but in The Heights that was very difficult.

Crime exists in both places, I was broken into twice in The Heights, my wife (not my wife at the time) was living on Bayland and was broken into four times

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone every seen or ate at the old Fire + Ice Restaurant?

What happened to it?

spt_logo_top.gif

That area looks so much like Los Angeles. And I think I saw a new walkable area near there with a new building that looked like it just finised construction, and right in front of it was a freeway. Do any of you know what street I'm talking about? I think its near Greenway Plaza.

Citykid:

Citykid:

It's a shame that you never knew the inner loop neighborhoods of Houston existed.  I wonder how many others in Texas think of Houston as freeways and strip centers with no cultural center. 

Before I got here I was told that all of Houston was freeways and strip malls. I eventually figured out that the real Houston is off the freeways. I've often wondered what people must think of Houston when traveling East and West on I-10, it's just horrible.

I have been accused of being an inner loop snob. 

Although I no longer live inside the loop I consider myself to be an inner loop snob. I can take or leave the rest of Houston except maybe Sugar land. This area is a treasure I hope we don't lose. If we did I would be looking for another town, yet again.

Hey Gary,

You may be making the same mistake you are advising against. That is, not exploring Houston beyond inner loop. For example, have you driven along Memorial and San Felipe/Briar Forest from West Loop to BW8? Not exactly a cultural center such as inner loop but then you mentioned Sugarland too. The area along those two roads is lush and beautiful. Beyond BW8 to Highway 6, the drive on those roads is still ok but the neighborhoods off of them are quite charming. Certainly more interesting than Sugarland due to visual variety of homes.

By the way, if I remember correctly, the other day mentioned you only cared for Inner loop and the Bay (by which I assume Clear Lake area). Now you have added Sugarland in the list as well. So we can assume that the list will grow over time ;)

• 1 month later...
Here's my third photo tour of Houston from the streets. Two mondays ago, I went over to my sister's house in the Winlow Place section of Montrose. Took her dog for a stroll down Lower Westheimer and then veered North after a few blocks into my favorite part of the M; Cherryhurst. Circled back around. Here's the scene on a Monday at 3:00.

Starting point, bungalows on Elmen Street

1039740_1039740-R2-062-29A.jpg

on the corner of Elmen and Westheimer sits antique/junk row

1039740_1039740-R2-064-30A.jpg

1039740_1039740-R2-066-31A.jpg

1039740_1039740-R2-070-33A.jpg

on the Northeast corner of Elmen and Westheimer sits Empire Cafe. Once a filling station, then an s&m gay bar that had a mummification death occur on-site in the 80s, now a trendy place famous for deserts.

1039740_1039740-R2-068-32A.jpg

two blocks from Elmen on Westheimer brings you to the intersection of Dunlavy.

shops on the southeastern corner

1039740_1039740-R2-072-34A.jpg

Brasil Coffee and others on the southwestern corner

1039740_1039740-R2-074-35A.jpg

back on Westheimer now and looking North at EJ's. EJ's puts the skank back into gay bars.

1039740_1039740-R4-005-1.jpg

block on the southside of Lower Westheimer

1039740_1039740-R4-007-2.jpg

If ever you need size 14s in a pump, Taxi Taxi is your place...

1039740_1039740-R4-009-3.jpg

RED

1039740_1039740-R4-011-4.jpg

1039740_1039740-R4-013-5.jpg

size queens dig Bob's Big Boy (I blew this picture...too much sun)

1039740_1039740-R4-015-6.jpg

Hugo's... upscale Mexican cuisine

1039740_1039740-R4-017-7.jpg

another block on Southern side of Westheimer

1039740_1039740-R4-019-8.jpg

approaching "The Curve"... tattoos and booze just seem to go together

1039740_1039740-R4-021-9.jpg

Leather in Exile store has folded

1039740_1039740-R4-023-10.jpg

Random sign with the FUGLY and new Tremont Tower in the background around "The Curve"

1039740_1039740-R4-025-11.jpg

1039740_1039740-R4-029-13.jpg

My gyros have always been sandwiches

1039740_1039740-R4-031-14.jpg

time to head North on Yupon into Cherryhurst. Here's where we are, just southwest of downtown

1039740_1039740-R4-033-15.jpg

Ford Tough on Missouri Street

1039740_1039740-R4-035-16.jpg

Cherryhurst Park building

1039740_1039740-R4-037-17.jpg

homes on Cherryhurst Street

1039740_1039740-R4-039-18.jpg

azalea season

1039740_1039740-R4-041-19.jpg

1039740_1039740-R4-043-20.jpg

live oaks in the park

1039740_1039740-R4-045-21.jpg

I want this porch

1039740_1039740-R4-049-23.jpg

reading on the stoops?

1039740_1039740-R4-051-24.jpg

Highest point in Montrose

1039740_1039740-R4-047-22.jpg

Hey Gary,

You may be making the same mistake you are advising against. That is, not exploring Houston beyond inner loop. For example, have you driven along Memorial and San Felipe/Briar Forest from West Loop to BW8? Not exactly a cultural center such as inner loop but then you mentioned Sugarland too. The area along those two roads is lush and beautiful. Beyond BW8 to Highway 6, the drive on those roads is still ok but the neighborhoods off of them are quite charming. Certainly more interesting than Sugarland due to visual variety of homes.

By the way, if I remember correctly, the other day mentioned you only cared for Inner loop and the Bay (by which I assume Clear Lake area). Now you have added Sugarland in the list as well. So we can assume that the list will grow over time  ;)

As far as livability there are many places in Houston I'm aware of but being in the music circle for years I have grown to love the more eclectic areas of cities. I didn't mean to exclude Memorial, in fact I've mentioned before how much I love the trees in that area.

In context I was trying to point out the many areas in Houstons close in burbs that are generic and flat out ugly. Of course there are some fantastic areas like Memorial that are close in but I can't think of many other area's that are close burbs that I would consider nice.

I think the inner loop has an energy that is very unique which is why I love it so, as well as the bay area (CL, Kemah). These are places I like to be and spend time. Whereas the Memorial/Briarforest area is just a pretty drive to me.

I'm a transplant who loves many parts of this great city, however as far as spending my valuble time it's almost always inside the loop or at the bay.

Interesting post, citykid09.

The 'mummification' death did not occur at the Empire Cafe location. I think the urban legend has become a bit fuzzy. This site was occupied (in the 80s) by The Locker, the Different Drum and lastly by Chutes. While it's true that many eye-popping, eyebrow-raising events occured (and I should know - I was there), the death to which you refer sounds like the infamous "chicken-in-a-casket" scandal, which was in a townhome on Pacific Street, near JR's. A workman discovered the body of a young man (presumably a hustler) in a coffin on an upper floor. The townhome's occupant (Ted Lenze) was never charged, as he was dying from a brain tumor in a hospital at the time of the discovery.

I take exception with describing EJ's as a 'skank' bar. Skank is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose, but it's worth noting that the owner maintains a koi pond and aviary on the patio. It also offers a stunning view of downtown Houston and the Westheimer strip from its upper level. While the patrons might politely be described as 'diverse', the management does 86 the worst elements. The frequent drag shows are low art or high camp, depending on your point of view. At any rate, these fund-raisers have contributed substantially to AFH and the Assistance Fund. I view it as an asset to the neighborhood.

oh the montrose!

frolic and fun

wasted til sun

moral depravity

drug induced cavity

creative flare

menacing stare

soft hearted stone

monotone tome

what freakish ingenuity

wakes the gods of loneliness?.....

the montrose i once knew B)

oh the montrose!

frolic and fun

wasted til sun

moral depravity

drug induced cavity

creative flare

menacing stare

soft hearted stone

monotone tome

what freakish ingenuity

wakes the gods of loneliness?.....

the montrose i once knew B)

That's great Bachanon!! :D

I am a veteran of Houston and Montrose from the early 90's, when it was kinda run down, but it was also kinda hip and very accessible (as long as you kept a keen eye for your personal security).

On my last visit to Houston I was pleased (and kind of surprised and a little heartbroken) to see the changes that have come to the Montrose area. I was particularly impressed with the changes in the areas between the "core" Montrose area and Midtown (e.g. Fairview and Bagby area).

Personally, I especially recall the "seediness" and "danger" around Club SOME on Albany (anyone else remember that place? it rocked!). Today the immediate area is filled with high priced townhomes and apartments. When I was there recently, a Doctor friend of mine even showed me the house he had bought a block away from the old club! Very different from my recollection of the area, but so much better.

I guess change occurs everywhere, including Montrose. It is usually for the best, but some things are always lost along the way.

Emos and Some are now "lofts" called the Villa Serena.

Good news is they kept the kick-ass pool.

My last trip to Emos/Some was in 1996. Had a knife pulled on me and my partner on the dance floor. Kinda killed our buzz. Needless to say, I never went back...

"Personally, I especially recall the "seediness" and "danger" around Club SOME on Albany (anyone else remember that place? it rocked!)." (quote, txdave)

funny i hadn't thought about emos/club some forever, it's probably been 10 yrs since my friends and i used to go there. we used to park a ways off and walk, and i don't remember being afraid of anyone there, but there sure were a lot of freaks:)

deb martin

i remember being one of the last people dancing on the dance floor at some one hot steamy night in the late nineties. for some unknown reason i took off my ($300) watch and dropped it someone's plastic water cup. i went to some the following week and the bartender (uhhhh scott, i think) returned my watch to me with the story of how he obtained it. i was never quite sure of what i was thinking.