Kemah Boardwalk At 215 Kipp Ave.

So why did a topic about a new structure being built get moved from "Going Up" to the misc. forum? From what I've heard this thing is going to start going vertical within a week or so.

The original request was sent to the moderator, Subdude, and he went above and beyond the scope and took his time to fish out the roller coaster related posts from all (3) topics and merged it into one convenient thread. See below.

Note the roller coaster posts have been merged into one topic.

One of the original posts was likely in the Other Houston section. They just picked which ever one held the bulk of the related posts I believe, or it could have just been an accident.

that is up to the moderators.

most folks send them a PM to let them decide...

for the sake of organization.

Hopefully this helped Fierce Pancake in answering you question completely, sorry for the confusion I may have created, but at least we now have one thread that tracks the entire thread history of this project. If you feel that it belongs elsewhere that was not my original intention, nor was not my call, please PM or moderator and they will correct it.

Have a good one. ^_^

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking of that, a "wooden" rollercoaster within such proximity of the ocean is just asking for it to get nailed by a hurricane. Maybe a steel coaster would have been a better choice to avoid all the potential projectiles this thing may create.

I am guessing this structure is going to be rated to withstand a major hurricane.

You know, I'm kind of concerned about that myself. My mom's family lived on high ground in Bacliff when Carla hit. The water got into the yard, but not inside the house. Very few residents of that area were so lucky. Kemah had a bunch of restaurants down there, none of which remain today (obviously). The most memorable one that she talked about was the Chili Bowl...which had a massive bowl on the roof. The bowl floated inland; the restaurant disappeared.

The roller coaster looks pretty substantial and well-butressed, but imagine if a 25-foot wind-blown storm surge hit it.

In areas that require it, rollercoasters are built to withstand minor earthquakes and other acts of nature. Of course if a tornado hits the thing or it sits in brackish water for a couple months like Megazeph all bets are off.

I just remember when the news was covering one of the recent hurricanes, maybe Rita, many of the planks and the boardwalk were poping out with the force of the walk. I know the structure for the coaster will be stronger (I hope :unsure: ), but I think if the weight of the water reaches high enough from the storm surge, pair with high winds, at least parts of the coaster could be stripped off.

Unlike that cheesy intro from "Step by Step" (Clearly fake at the end), are there wooden coasters currently along the gulf or lower east coast that have withstood hurricane encounters?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I think its cool too, but I wouldn't be to enthusiastic about putting roller coasters out near the cost like that when a hurricane can come through and knock all of that over. Why not build a theme park more inland. Unless you are building these thing hurricane resistant.

I'm not hatting I'm just telling the truth.

---------

Edited by Editor to remove unnecessary profanity.

What a challenge for the designers. Only one acre of land to work with. Built out of wood but has to be strong enough to handle the strong winds and a possible hurricane coming from the bay, which of course it's on. But still exciting enough to make it worthwhile for everyone involved. It appears that it is, and the ride stats seem to back it up.

The simulated ride is kind of cool, isn't it? Great views of the water, and to me going under all those crossbeams right over your head is one of the most thrilling parts of a roller coaster ride.

I think Landry's is looking for a lot of favorable buzz when this opens later this year. How can you get cynical about a good old fashioned roller coaster?

I think its cool too, but I wouldn't be to enthusiastic about putting roller coasters out near the cost like that when a hurricane can come through and knock all of that over. Why not build a theme park more inland. Unless you are building these thing hurricane resistant.

I'm not hatting I'm just telling the truth.

---------

Edited by Editor to remove unnecessary profanity.

Most of the world's great amusement parks are/were built on water -- Atlantic City (back in its day), Asbury Park, Coney Island, Blackpool (England), Santa Monica Pier, Pallete Town (Tokyo), etc...

It makes it more special when your "getaway" is different from what you see every day.

Most of the world's great amusement parks are/were built on water -- Atlantic City (back in its day), Asbury Park, Coney Island, Blackpool (England), Santa Monica Pier, Pallete Town (Tokyo), etc...

It makes it more special when your "getaway" is different from what you see every day.

Can't forget Cedar Point in Ohio.

Can't forget Cedar Point in Ohio.

Excellent point. I don't know how I forgot that. What a great park. I generally don't like amusement parks, but that place was great. I went up there for Halloween one year; they really do a great job.

Looks like lots of turns and few if not only one significant drop=LAME!

I'd be willing to bet money that most people who ride this coaster will not consider it lame once it opens. There are only 2 or 3 significant drops, but from a height of 96 ft. the train will hit all those low tightly banked curves and bunny hops at an increadible speed. People will be lifted out of there seat all over the place and the lateral g's will be amazing. The head chopper effect and tunnels will also help to make this a great coaster.

As someone who has ridden many, many coasters in the US, I am betting by the models and computer animations that this coaster will be a major hit - at least in the coaster enthusiast community. This design is really unique and it's a real accomplishment squeezing a coaster this tall and with this much track into such a tight area.

Ride it first, then tell me if you think it's lame. Some of the best coasters in the world are built with only a few high drops, and they are classics. And there are really tall coasters with a lot of drops that are so rough and painful they are unworthy of a second ride. There are a lot of fun and exciting elements to a great coaster and tall drops is only one of them. This ride looks extremely promising to me.

This coaster won't break any records (except for crossovers) but it is light years ahead of any coaster that I ever thought they would build in a park like Kemah Boardwalk.

...and to me going under all those crossbeams right over your head is one of the most thrilling parts of a roller coaster ride.

Gee, if I'd known the technical term, "Headchopper Effect", I could have saved some keystrokes, Mister X! Thanks for your insight.

And nightclubs would be good, too!

All Kehmah will need is nightclubs and they'll be set.

And some coastal high rise and mid rise condos.

It's better than having nothing at all :rolleyes:

I agree, they did great for the area they had to build on. Kemah board walk is for families. This ride won't be too scary for the kids.

Guest Plastic
And some coastal high rise and mid rise condos.

I agree, they did great for the area they had to build on. Kemah board walk is for families. This ride won't be too scary for the kids.

Kemah is a place to play not live.

Archived