classy albums

musicman

i had this huge list and just lost it. maybe later.

on the top of my list was digitally remastered nat king cole, etta james, ella fitzgerald, dean martin, frank sinatra, most baroque compilations, the "capital sings" series and the "ultra-lounge" series.

maybe we need "haif" radio a la shoutcast.com. we could stream our music on to the site.

nat cole is my all-time favorite. his trio records showcase his mastery of the piano while his later vocal albums showcase his voice. you should try his album "after midnight". it is his trio augmented with a guest instrumentalist. good with a nice drink!

last night i went to the new gulfgate best buy and bought a sammy davis album and the new michael buble one.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nat cole is my all-time favorite. his trio records showcase his mastery of the piano while his later vocal albums showcase his voice. you should try his album "after midnight". it is his trio augmented with a guest instrumentalist. good with a nice drink!

last night i went to the new gulfgate best buy and bought a sammy davis album and the new michael buble one.

Nat Coles song "If I had to chose just one day" Epitomizes a mans complete and utter love for the woman of his dreams one summer day. It is pure genius and prefects the tone of music of that time. I play over and over as it consumes me. Whats really cool about his greatest hits is I will ask my mom what year a particular hit came out like Mona Lisa and she hits it right on the nail. She said Nat was considered grade a class. You would hear his music in some of the most upscale and classy joints all over the US.

Sammy Davis, Its funny how time flys. I recall in our 6th grade class how during recess our teacher let us bring our 45 records to play. The girls always took over and I remember one gal taking "Mr. Bojangles" and "Candy Man" by Sammy Jr. It was a big hit & comeback of sorts for him around 1973. However as we know he was quite famous well before that. His talents were truly rare and he was a major trailblazer. I loved his hip era ala appearances on Rowan/Martins Laugh In. "Here comes the judge, here comes the judge" Too cool!

I love Nat KIng Cole and Dean Martin and many of the others mentioned here but If I'm going to sit down with a drink and some tunes it will always be Ray Charles for me. Now if I'm going to have many drinks I'll end up with Abba to ZZ Top, with a little Memphis Minnie and Robert Johnson thrown in for good measure.. all of the above on vinyl of course.

Nat Coles song "If I had to chose just one day" Epitomizes a mans complete and utter love for the woman of his dreams one summer day.
the title is actually "that sunday, that summer" and it is a great song.

the title is actually "that sunday, that summer" and it is a great song.

correct and crank it up.

Can't leave out Johnny Mathis greatest hits. "Misty" is what most would remember. Remember the Clint Eastwood film "Play Misty for me".

Mathis also made his mark for the mid-late 50's as adult lovers music all time fav. The technology in sound quality/innovation was at a major high with makers advertising "Stereophonic Sound" and "High-Fidelity".

Quadraphonic would folllow later in the 70's. The orchestra helped accentuate Mathis' voice. Now I want to listen to the CD! Crank it up too. Major romance music too. Its no wonder marriage soon followed. :D

d91568sy47r.jpg

This will leave you Spellbound

This album (which re-appeared in the late '70s on the Mercury "Gold" line, and later on CD) was, at one time, the best extant version that one could purchase of one of the finest film scores ever written; but life and decisions have since gotten much richer and more complicated for film music enthusiasts. In the 1990s, the score was first re-recorded in full by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under conductor Joel McNeely, and then, a little after that, the original scoring tracks from the movie itself were retrieved, restored, and released commercially, which reduced the significance of this album, without rendering it quite obsolete. As to the music itself, Vertigo was one of best works by Bernard Herrmann, composer for the 1958 Alfred Hitchcock film, and one of his most beautiful and disturbing film scores. He developed longer melodies than usual but employs many of the same variation and motif-mixing techniques that he had previously used, and the result -- listening to just the music, or taking it in as an element of the movie -- is something midway between a symphony and an opera, in terms of the impact on the listener. The work opens in high-energy drama with a propulsive polytonal arpeggio (E flat minor over D minor) in triplets that is one of the central motifs throughout the score (this also recalls the opening of Herrmann's score for The Day the Earth Stood Still, written at the other end of the decade). As an amusing touch, when the credit "Directed by Alfred Hitchcock" appears on the screen, you hear a low rotund D note on the tuba. From that start, you get the musical depiction of violent physical action, sudden death, and the fear motif associated with James Stewart's character that will be central to rest of the plot and the denouement. Along with a bizarrely scored and orchestrated Spanish-themed section, associated with the supposed psychosis of the woman that Stewart's character has been hired to protect (from herself), you get a love theme that has been compared to Wagner's Liebestod from Tristan und Isold in impact and intensity. The score was too complex and challenging to earn any honors from the Hollywood of the late '50s, but it did earn a commercial soundtrack release, the first music associated with a Hitchcock movie so honored. What makes this very complicated for collectors and fans coming in since the mid-'90s is the plethora of Vertigo soundtracks, and the fact that Herrmann didn't conduct them, for the album or for the film itself. It was intended that, as with his other scores, he would do so, in Los Angeles, but a musicians' strike precluded this. Instead, arrangements were made for the score for the movie to be recorded in London under conductor Muir Mathieson, an old film music hand whose work in the field went back to the 1930s. And this was being done when the British musicians' union decided to support their colleagues across the ocean, and so parts of the score then had to be recorded in Vienna, as well, and the latter were in mono, as opposed to the stereo sound on the London-recorded tracks. Finally, when it came time to prepare a commercial soundtrack release, Mathieson was back in England and cut those tracks, 34 minutes' worth of music, with the Sinfonia of London, comprising this album. Those seeking Herrmann's own conducting on the Vertigo music, incidentally, will have to look to the suite that he prepared and recorded on the 1969 album now known as Music from the Great Hitchcock Movie

d91568sy47r.jpg

This will leave you Spellbound

This album (which re-appeared in the late '70s on the Mercury "Gold" line, and later on CD) was, at one time, the best extant version that one could purchase of one of the finest film scores ever written; but life and decisions have since gotten much richer and more complicated for film music enthusiasts. In the 1990s, the score was first re-recorded in full by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under conductor Joel McNeely, and then, a little after that, the original scoring tracks from the movie itself were retrieved, restored, and released commercially, which reduced the significance of this album, without rendering it quite obsolete. As to the music itself, Vertigo was one of best works by Bernard Herrmann, composer for the 1958 Alfred Hitchcock film, and one of his most beautiful and disturbing film scores. He developed longer melodies than usual but employs many of the same variation and motif-mixing techniques that he had previously used, and the result -- listening to just the music, or taking it in as an element of the movie -- is something midway between a symphony and an opera, in terms of the impact on the listener. The work opens in high-energy drama with a propulsive polytonal arpeggio (E flat minor over D minor) in triplets that is one of the central motifs throughout the score (this also recalls the opening of Herrmann's score for The Day the Earth Stood Still, written at the other end of the decade). As an amusing touch, when the credit "Directed by Alfred Hitchcock" appears on the screen, you hear a low rotund D note on the tuba. From that start, you get the musical depiction of violent physical action, sudden death, and the fear motif associated with James Stewart's character that will be central to rest of the plot and the denouement. Along with a bizarrely scored and orchestrated Spanish-themed section, associated with the supposed psychosis of the woman that Stewart's character has been hired to protect (from herself), you get a love theme that has been compared to Wagner's Liebestod from Tristan und Isold in impact and intensity. The score was too complex and challenging to earn any honors from the Hollywood of the late '50s, but it did earn a commercial soundtrack release, the first music associated with a Hitchcock movie so honored. What makes this very complicated for collectors and fans coming in since the mid-'90s is the plethora of Vertigo soundtracks, and the fact that Herrmann didn't conduct them, for the album or for the film itself. It was intended that, as with his other scores, he would do so, in Los Angeles, but a musicians' strike precluded this. Instead, arrangements were made for the score for the movie to be recorded in London under conductor Muir Mathieson, an old film music hand whose work in the field went back to the 1930s. And this was being done when the British musicians' union decided to support their colleagues across the ocean, and so parts of the score then had to be recorded in Vienna, as well, and the latter were in mono, as opposed to the stereo sound on the London-recorded tracks. Finally, when it came time to prepare a commercial soundtrack release, Mathieson was back in England and cut those tracks, 34 minutes' worth of music, with the Sinfonia of London, comprising this album. Those seeking Herrmann's own conducting on the Vertigo music, incidentally, will have to look to the suite that he prepared and recorded on the 1969 album now known as Music from the Great Hitchcock Movie

You sold me. I'm going to check it out.

Vertigo, I still have my "Candyman" 45. Now for a sad note, back in 1990 my grandmother passed away and we had an estate sale. I had an old record player that I used in highschool over at my Grandmothers before she died, and I had brought a bunch of albums with it, just for storage. My father inadvertently SOLD all the albums with the Record player. I almost killed him. We are talking first pressings of Jimi Hendrix's "Are you Experienced". KIZZ's "Dressed to Kill" first printing, RARE, worth about $400 now, it was about $100 back then. Just awesome albums, about 40 of them. My father felt really guilty over it, and asked me to make him a list. The old man went and bought most all of them on CD for me. He was a hell of a guy, but he didn't realize how it wasn't the same, I never mentioned it again to him. LOL!

probably wouldn't be on this list. i will add Getz/Gilberto to the list. pulled it out this past weekend and forgot how much i liked it. bossa nova jazz at its finest.

I love that! It's terrific. I also love slow, seductive flamenco. :)

I have several favorite records from when I was a kid. They were my parents' albums and I loved to listen to them and watch my parents dance and laugh. The stereo (a Fisher Hi-Fi from '72) was off-limits to me, but if I asked, my dad would always oblige, and sometimes he would dance with me in the living room (I was really little then, about three or four).

Orange Blossom Special by Billy Vaughan, that whole album brings tears to my eyes, many special memories of my parents and grandparents.

The Smothers Brothers, my parents would just laugh and laugh at that.

Herb Alpert--Whipped Cream and Other Delights

Harpers Bizarre--can't remember the name of the album...but it was GREAT!

...and of course, my GREASE album :lol:

there is a cd with tony bennett and k.d.lang with nice renditions of classics like what a wonderful world, la vie en rose and so on. the arrangements are oh so comforting. if you don't like k.d.lang you might not enjoy it.

there is a cd with tony bennett and k.d.lang with nice renditions of classics like what a wonderful world, la vie en rose and so on. the arrangements are oh so comforting. if you don't like k.d.lang you might not enjoy it.

i have a wonderful world but haven't listened to it recently. i probably pull it out after dinner with the folks.

It's not k.d.lang, I don't like Tony Bennett!

This is a great bossa nova collection:

41M97SPWV2L._SS500_.jpg

It's not k.d.lang, I don't like Tony Bennett!

This is a great bossa nova collection:

sub..i must agree. i listened to it last night..and i like tony bennett in his heyday....but now i feel bad for him. i will say i'm seeing him later this year in concert the album itself is enjoyable.

Although not a musical album, I love the classiness of Bill Cosby's "Why is there air". It was from a time when you didn't have to be filthy to be damn funny.

There is air to blow up basketballs with. Great album! One of my favorites.

I love that! It's terrific. I also love slow, seductive flamenco. :)

I have several favorite records from when I was a kid. They were my parents' albums and I loved to listen to them and watch my parents dance and laugh. The stereo (a Fisher Hi-Fi from '72) was off-limits to me, but if I asked, my dad would always oblige, and sometimes he would dance with me in the living room (I was really little then, about three or four).

Orange Blossom Special by Billy Vaughan, that whole album brings tears to my eyes, many special memories of my parents and grandparents.

The Smothers Brothers, my parents would just laugh and laugh at that.

Herb Alpert--Whipped Cream and Other Delights

Harpers Bizarre--can't remember the name of the album...but it was GREAT!

...and of course, my GREASE album :lol:

Was it Harpers Bizarre Feelin' Groovy? That was my favorite.

Like Eydie Gorme sang "Blame it on the Bossa Nova, the dance of love!

We used to rummage through places like Purple Heart/Salvation Army back in the 80's to find cool original albums like Bossa Nova, Mambos, Cha Cha Cha's and all Astrid Gilberto music. Most albums were like 25 cents each. (This is where I found The Mod 1965 Beatles Jacket for $2.25)

This weekend I bought Jack Jones greatest hits ie; Lollipops & Roses, Wives should always be Lovers too. Puts you back in a cocktail lounge 1963 hanging out with the Rat Pack! :ph34r::lol:

Dim all the lights, pour the wine, start the music, time to get ready for love! Ugh oh starting to get romantic! :wub:

Where's my burgundy/velvet Armani smoking jacket!

Like Eydie Gorme sang "Blame it on the Bossa Nova, the dance of love!

We used to rummage through places like Purple Heart/Salvation Army back in the 80's to find cool original albums like Bossa Nova, Mambos, Cha Cha Cha's and all Astrid Gilberto music. Most albums were like 25 cents each. (This is where I found The Mod 1965 Beatles Jacket for $2.25)

This weekend I bought Jack Jones greatest hits ie; Lollipops & Roses, Wives should always be Lovers too. Puts you back in a cocktail lounge 1963 hanging out with the Rat Pack! :ph34r::lol:

Dim all the lights, pour the wine, start the music, time to get ready for love! Ugh oh starting to get romantic! :wub:

Where's my burgundy/velvet Armani smoking jacket!

Ah... Jack Jones. Who could ever forget his greatest hit of all time... The theme song to the Love Boat series. lol :P

Ah... Jack Jones. Who could ever forget his greatest hit of all time... The theme song to the Love Boat series. lol :P

I always wondered who sang that song! Now I'm gonna sing it out loud so the whole office can hear!

We never knew who sang this theme either? Miss these classic shows. sorry Mscman dont mean to stray from topic.

loveamericanstyle.jpg

I always wondered who sang that song! Now I'm gonna sing it out loud so the whole office can hear!

We never knew who sang this theme either? Miss these classic shows. sorry Mscman dont mean to stray from topic.

loveamericanstyle.jpg

The theme song to Love American Style was sung by the Cowsills for the first season and the Charles Fox Singers for all the other seasons.. according to Wikipedia. Consider this a commercial break... And now back to Classy Albums!

.. And now back to Classy Albums!

I will have to recommend Frank Sinatra's Come Dance With Me!. IMO it is one of his top three albums of all time. Lots of brass and the imaginative arrangements really sell it for me. His voice was probably at its peak too. For something that was recording in the 50's, the sound is amazing!

Guest Marty

This is a album that i been listening to since i was a kid.

"THE WAH-WATUSI" and "DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE" by The Orlons

This is a album that i been listening to since i was a kid.

"THE WAH-WATUSI" and "DEDICATED TO THE ONE I LOVE" by The Orlons

heard the song dedicated.....but definitely not in tune with the group. i'll have to amazon them

musicman, you got any Robert Goulet ? One of my favorite commercials is the Robert Goulet one for Empire Peanuts. I like Goulet, he kinda looks like my Pops.

f36250aap9e.jpg

no goulet here. i guess i consider him a B singer. i'll have to ask my mom if she has any albums i can borrow

Archived