Galveston Beach Party Pics

IT IS Beach weekend. Traffic is not light and someone has a nice camera. Are these yours JASON?

Some are, but the first couple aren't. I apologize, I should have made that clear in the initial post.

Galveston Daily News pics, and a Christian group took a couple. I edited the first post. :)

Some are, but the first couple aren't. I apologize, I should have made that clear in the initial post.

Galveston Daily News pics, and a Christian group took a couple. I edited the first post. :)

so is this considered average, less than average, or crowded for beach weekend?

I don't think the kid has a black eye.

So was it pretty calm or a mob scene there?

IT IS Beach weekend. Traffic is not light and someone has a nice camera. Are these yours JASON?

When I was there, it got to be almost that congested EVERY weekend in the Spring and Summer. I started only going weekdays, preferably Mondays, just to avoid the crowds.

Is it Kappa or something? Cool nonetheless. That pink BMW is not the greatest though.

I don't know if it was the official kappa beach weekend, but i heard a lot of locals refer to it as such.

I had heard the numbers really declined over the last 2 years. If it was more crowded than what the pictures show, I can see why a lot of people don't go that weekend.

editor-how long ago was it that crowded on weekends and is it still that way. I only visit monthly Oct thru May and have never seen crowds like the pictures

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

A few years ago when Kappa weekend was at it's peak, I was headed home from work and traffic on the Gulf Freeway was extremely heavy, even out past NASA Rd. 1. The traffic finally started moving somewhat, but only the two right lanes were picking up any speed. As I finally topped an overpass (FM 518), I could see the trouble up ahead. A stereotypical Olds 98 with the big wheels, was in the left lane, barely going 50mph, the two occupants with their seats way back, were oblivious to the massive back up they were causing. Just about then a Galveston County Sherriff's motorcycle came speeding up the shoulder and pulls in behind them, flashing his lights. The two startled youths pulled over to the far right only to see the cop speed off along with the rest of us following him.

Another time my wife told me about a Kappa weekend event in Galveston. Shoppers at her store on 61st St. were coming inside complaining about a girl in the parking lot performing oral sex while a crowd watched and videotapped her talents.

This is just a couple of the reasons we in Galveston County are glad Kappa (Beach Party) weekend is near it's end.

A few years ago when Kappa weekend was at it's peak, I was headed home from work and traffic on the Gulf Freeway was extremely heavy, even out past NASA Rd. 1. The traffic finally started moving somewhat, but only the two right lanes were picking up any speed. As I finally topped an overpass (FM 518), I could see the trouble up ahead. A stereotypical Olds 98 with the big wheels, was in the left lane, barely going 50mph, the two occupants with their seats way back, were oblivious to the massive back up they were causing. Just about then a Galveston County Sherriff's motorcycle came speeding up the shoulder and pulls in behind them, flashing his lights. The two startled youths pulled over to the far right only to see the cop speed off along with the rest of us following him.

Another time my wife told me about a Kappa weekend event in Galveston. Shoppers at her store on 61st St. were coming inside complaining about a girl in the parking lot performing oral sex while a crowd watched and videotapped her talents.

This is just a couple of the reasons we in Galveston County are glad Kappa (Beach Party) weekend is near it's end.

Wow. Sounds great...Sorry my wife and son and I won't be able to attend... :unsure:

I've heard that the beach party was canceled this year. Apparently, the promoter wanted to turn it into a conference/job fair, but I guess those video dudes said "Who's gonna buy "Job Fair Conference Amateur Honeyz 9?" "Hot pants suit action! Show me them big ole' Nine West high heels for some beads gurl!" :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
4717636471fcd22593ebov3.jpg

This is real good pic. See the concrete stair case? Years ago there used to be concrete car ramps to drive drive down onto the beach. There were several of them along the seawall. I commented on another topic of Galveston about them. It was really scary for us kids when our car would start the incline down and even scarier going up. Felt like we would tip over!

Not sure why they removed them I guess to finally stop cars from being on the beach or in those areas anyway? Cars were alway getting stuck mom said we had to be towed one time. Ugh. :)

I do wish they would at least install permanent railing all along the seawall, there have been serious falls and deaths on roller skates, tourist bikes, etc.

This is real good pic. See the concrete stair case? Years ago there used to be concrete car ramps to drive drive down onto the beach. There were several of them along the seawall. I commented on another topic of Galveston about them. It was really scary for us kids when our car would start the incline down and even scarier going up. Felt like we would tip over!

Not sure why they removed them I guess to finally stop cars from being on the beach or in those areas anyway? Cars were alway getting stuck mom said we had to be towed one time. Ugh. :)

I do wish they would at least install permanent railing all along the seawall, there have been serious falls and deaths on roller skates, tourist bikes, etc.

The county won't allow railings to be installed on the seawall. It seems that nobody can guarantee the integrity of the structure or engineer railings in such a way that they would not become a liabilty.

I think the ramps are still there, at least one or two of them. Only emergency vehicles are allowed to use them nowdays. The ramps became compromised when the Corps of Engineers installed the remainder of the rock groins. One could only travel the short distance on the beach between each groin after the rocks went in.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Galveston Beach Party Pics

Archived