Telephone Rd.

EastEnd Susan

i forgot that the Blue Top was a gated community :P

And a lovely and well maintained community it is!! Have any idea what that last pic is? Looks like it used to be a school. The pic is kinda crooked because its hard to take photos while your brother is driving 90 mph.

And a lovely and well maintained community it is!! Have any idea what that last pic is? Lookes like it used to be a school. The pic is kinda crooked because its hard to take photos while your brother is driving 90 mph.

it's the hisd media center.....used to be an old school but its name slips my mind. i know there's some discussion here somewhere.

it's the hisd media center.....used to be an old school but its name slips my mind. i know there's some discussion here somewhere.

brookline

brookline

Are you sure about this? I knew kids that went to Brookline Elementary but they said it was way over by Brookline Park near Pine Valley. By the old Target store on 610/South Wayside.

Now, if this was the OLD Brookline that may explain but I was always told Brookline was way over near the park. I too wondered for years why no one ever asked about this building.

PS, this is hooker haven all the way to 610 :lol: men, women, both, dogs, cats, birds etc. Anything goes on old Telephone Road!

and I love the pics of infamous Blue Top a go-go! wait... who's that politician jumping out the exit?! :ph34r:

Are you sure about this? I knew kids that went to Brookline Elementary but they said it was way over by Brookline Park near Pine Valley. By the old Target store on 610/South Wayside.

Now, if this was the OLD Brookline that may explain but I was always told Brookline was way over near the park. I too wondered for years why no one ever asked about this building.

PS, this is hooker haven all the way to 610 :lol: men, women, both, dogs, cats, birds etc. Anything goes on old Telephone Road!

and I love the pics of infamous Blue Top a go-go! wait... who's that politician jumping out the exit?! :ph34r:

Yes, this is the old Brookline school before it moved over to its current location. Back in the 1910s, Brookline was a developing community and this was the school that served the community.

Yes, this is the old Brookline school before it moved over to its current location. Back in the 1910s, Brookline was a developing community and this was the school that served the community.

Thank you for explaining. Another East End mystery solved!

As an addition the neighborhood directly behind it is really getting on the ball as far as renovations and restoration are concerned. A friend bought an original craftsman home with big porches and skirting all around. It had a original mantels in 3 rooms, took much $ to restore but they did it. The elderly lady that owned lived since around 1930's they said never was sold until she passed away. Rare find and you should see it! This friend has bought about 3 others on near streets and done the same. Another neighborhood

waiting to get re-discovered! :P

The map is very interesting and I wish I knew what year it was made. This could be some what confusing for many as even though it says Brookline, the area has never been spoken of or referred to as such in all the 40 years I have lived near by. Like I mentioned, even the kids I went to jr high with said they attended Brookline Elementary over by 610/S Wayside.

Viewing the map would make one think, how could an entire neighborhood be shifted down south approx 5 miles or so? Anythings possible I guess. Good info just the same :)

The pic is kinda crooked because its hard to take photos while your brother is driving 90 mph.

He must be smart going that fast to avoid flying bullets! :lol:

go to slow and you get approached "services rendered".

Thanks for all the pics. I say we should start a bus tour of the strip.

You know they say that for every broken beer bottle on Telephone Road there's a broken heart. :lol:

The map is very interesting and I wish I knew what year it was made. This could be some what confusing for many as even though it says Brookline, the area has never been spoken of or referred to as such in all the 40 years I have lived near by. Like I mentioned, even the kids I went to jr high with said they attended Brookline Elementary over by 610/S Wayside.

Viewing the map would make one think, how could an entire neighborhood be shifted down south approx 5 miles or so? Anythings possible I guess. Good info just the same :)

The Map is from 1922. I don't think the neighborhood moved, just the name of the school. I grew up in Pine Valley and went to the "new" Brookline. It was on Holmes Road when I started. I think I was in 3rd grade when they started building 610. That was sure noisy from inside the school. I always knew that little neighborhood as Brookline when I was growing up. Several of the businesses on Griggs around there had "Brookline" in their name.

The Brookline subdivision appears from the map to be fairly sparsely populated in 1922. Each of those dots represents a house.

The Map is from 1922. I don't think the neighborhood moved, just the name of the school. I grew up in Pine Valley and went to the "new" Brookline. It was on Holmes Road when I started. I think I was in 3rd grade when they started building 610. That was sure noisy from inside the school. I always knew that little neighborhood as Brookline when I was growing up. Several of the businesses on Griggs around there had "Brookline" in their name.

The Brookline subdivision appears from the map to be fairly sparsely populated in 1922. Each of those dots represents a house.

Your right and I could just kick myself!

There still is that little store that rents out plumbing equipment sign still says Brookline Rentals on it. We just never thought of that little area behind as Brookline. All cleared up now. Thanks!

Check out the little area I mention and see the (better) changes.

All the have to do now is dynamite >:) those horrible rat trap/crime ridden apartments on the bayous edge behind Seller's. They make Scarface look like Romper Room.

Your right and I could just kick myself!

There still is that little store that rents out plumbing equipment sign still says Brookline Rentals on it. We just never thought of that little area behind as Brookline. All cleared up now. Thanks!

Check out the little area I mention and see the (better) changes.

All the have to do now is dynamite >:) those horrible rat trap/crime ridden apartments on the bayous edge behind Seller's. They make Scarface look like Romper Room.

The community of Brookline was developed in correlation to an electric passenger railway that operated between Houston and Galveston from 1911 to 1936 called the Houston-Galveston Electric Railway. It was also known as the Houston-Galveston Interurban. Residents of Brookline would use this passenger railway system to get into downtown Houston. By the 1940s, the Houston-Galveston Interurban was removed and replaced by the Gulf Freeway (Interstate 45). You will see on the map that Brookline is sandwiched by Telephone Road and the Houston-Galveston Electric Railway which is now I-45 freeway.

Here is another bit of forgotten history regarding Brookline. One of Brookline's first residents in the 1910s was a gentleman named Ben James Still who co-owned a prominent electric store in downtown Houston called the Hurlburt-Still Electric Company. This establishment would do everything from selling electrical appliances to servicing electrical systems in automobiles. In 1920, Mr. Still would begin broadcasting music from a makeshift radio station he built at his home on Beatty St. in Brookline along the banks of Brays Bayou. By 1922, his pioneering efforts to transmit music and voice over the Houston airwaves would lead to his electric store to be granted the city's first radio broadcasting station. The call letters were WEV.

The community of Brookline was developed in correlation to an electric passenger railway that operated between Houston and Galveston from 1911 to 1936 called the Houston-Galveston Electric Railway. It was also known as the Houston-Galveston Interurban. Residents of Brookline would use this passenger railway system to get into downtown Houston. By the 1940s, the Houston-Galveston Interurban was removed and replaced by the Gulf Freeway (Interstate 45). You will see on the map that Brookline is sandwiched by Telephone Road and the Houston-Galveston Electric Railway which is now I-45 freeway.

Brookline.jpg

Behold: TOD, Houston style!

^

^

Must have been after closing. i've never seen so few cars there during the day.

True! The cars are usually parked all the way to where the camera person is standing.

I think I 1st stepped into Tel Wink around 1972 as a teeny bopper. Best friends brother worked there around that time. People are unware of the made for TV movie Mohammad Ali story that was filmed there around 7 years ago. Had it not been for the film the interior would still be the same. At least they dated it to early 60's style. Quite a forgetable film.

Still dont see why Jimmy the owner doesn't expand. Prices have really gone up to. You see people from all professions and backgrounds stroll in to this neighborhood icon. :)

Prices have really gone up to. You see people from all professions and backgrounds stroll in to this neighborhood icon. :)

REALLY gone up? i know some went up $.50 but when you walk out still paying less than 20 for 3 people it is unbelievable.

I found the map interesting for several reasons. The first is that I noticed three deep gullies running through, what would become, my neighborhood. These must have been filled in because there was no remnant of them that I can remember while growing up there.

The second was the "Streets Switch" on the San Antonio RR at Telephone. There was always a RR sign along the track there that said "Streets". As a kid I thought this was to warn the engineer that he was coming up on a street...duh!

As far as the Tel-Wink...that photo was taken around 5 PM during the week last fall. I worked at Tel-Wink for a few months back in 1969. I was 14 at the time and was a busboy. I only worked on the week-end. My shift started at 5 pm and I worked till 4 in the morning. Part of being a busboy then was putting bread on the table. I remember it was Texas toast. The manager offered to give me a ride home one night...and then hit on me...that was the end of my Tel-Wink career.

Guest danax
Brookline.jpg

Behold: TOD, Houston style!

Hey maybe the "Brook" referred to the bayou and "line" to the Interurban...?

Riverview is another forgotten nabe over there worthy of at least partial rebirth. I'd say the whole area found the bottom several years ago and is rising slowly. There was a large lot for sale over there that an "urban" type acquaintance wanted to buy to build her house on, but it had been contracted by the time she called....$20K I believe for almost a quarter acre.

Should this topic stay in historic or East End? just curious.

On a separate note I haven't seen many topics or replies about Pine Valley hood around S Wayside @ 610. Just down the street from Griggs. I think Fez1964 said he may have photos of the Houston Parks Building which has always looked very Frank Lloyd Wright. Is still in operation today. Its just to the left about a mile from this old Brookline school.

Should this topic stay in historic or East End? just curious.

I think the photos had some historic significance, and certainly the discussion was of a historical Houston nature.

BTW....I grew up in Pine Valley and used to ride my bike up to the fence surrounding the Gragg Building (old NASA headquarters) and watch all the comings and goings. That land where the old NASA headquarters is located is part of the Daniel Shipman labor in the Luke Moore Survey. Daniel Shipman said that he spent the year before the Texas Revolution on that land.

Texas Handbook Online about Daniel Shipman

I think the photos had some historic significance, and certainly the discussion was of a historical Houston nature.

BTW....I grew up in Pine Valley and used to ride my bike up to the fence surrounding the Gragg Building (old NASA headquarters) and watch all the comings and goings. That land where the old NASA headquarters is located is part of the Daniel Shipman labor in the Luke Moore Survey. Daniel Shipman said that he spent the year before the Texas Revolution on that land.

Texas Handbook Online about Daniel Shipman

Wonderful insite, thank you.

What's interesting to note is that the wooded area around the Nasa hdqtrs is still undeveloped. Lets be thankful for that! The only thing I have seen happen is kids playing baseball next door in that little gully. Is that considered a park? We never could tell why whomever lets ballteams play there. I dont care but just wonder. I still know some people in Pine Valley. That area is a rarity. The tall pines and homes bult around 1940-50's?

Do you recall how long the Target store was in operation? I have a photo where I am sitting in front waiting for mom to pick me up. I worked there 1980. They had the best bakery, remember you would see them making wedding cakes after you would check out in line? :lol: I think Lewis & Coker grocery was next door.

What's interesting to note is that the wooded area around the Nasa hdqtrs is still undeveloped. Lets be thankful for that! The only thing I have seen happen is kids playing baseball next door in that little gully. Is that considered a park? We never could tell why whomever lets ballteams play there. I dont care but just wonder. I still know some people in Pine Valley. That area is a rarity. The tall pines and homes bult around 1940-50's?

Do you recall how long the Target store was in operation? I have a photo where I am sitting in front waiting for mom to pick me up. I worked there 1980. They had the best bakery, remember you would see them making wedding cakes after you would check out in line? :lol: I think Lewis & Coker grocery was next door.

I work in the building that was once the NASA headquarters. And, yes, the grounds around the building is an official city park. Throughout the day people can be seen jogging and exercising on the grounds. The person that designed this building was greatly influenced by Frank L. Wright. Follow the provided below. It gives a history of the building and the grounds. I beleive this has been posted on another thread. For your convenience here it is again:

http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/graggflash.html

Chris

The park is actually made up of two parcels of land that have been joined together. The 11 acre wooded parcel to the east belonged to the McDannald Oil Company. The circular driveway used to lead to an old house that was the headquarters. The house was built by a family in 1913 and sold in 1935 to McDannald Oil which used the old house as the headquarters. There used to be a private zoo back there with deer, aligators, horses, cougars, etc...

I think Pine Valley was developed in 1949-50. I think the Target opened in 1969 or 1970. My sister worked there when it first opened. I do remember the bakery. I used to eat their donuts whenever I went in there. Handy Andy also had a good bakery while they were around (not around East-End).

The gully running behind the neighborhood is called Kuhlmann's Gully and was named for a German family that owned much of the land around there and all the way over into Riverside. Supposedly it may still be a habitat for the Houston Toad. I know we had Houston Toads in Pine Valley when I was growing up. We also had lots of other wildlife. I remember the Owls especially...and fireflies...I miss fireflies

The gully running behind the neighborhood is called Kuhlmann's Gully and was named for a German family that owned much of the land around there and all the way over into Riverside. Supposedly it may still be a habitat for the Houston Toad. I know we had Houston Toads in Pine Valley when I was growing up. We also had lots of other wildlife. I remember the Owls especially...and fireflies...I miss fireflies

We used to also have many fire flies on the other side of 45 in Broadmoor. They seemed to have died off after 1979? Maybe we should have erected a tiny marker RIP little fire flies. :lol: Hope its not a bad sign of Houston air quality. (other topic)

We used to also have many fire flies on the other side of 45 in Broadmoor. They seemed to have died off after 1979? Maybe we should have erected a tiny marker RIP little fire flies. :lol: Hope its not a bad sign of Houston air quality. (other topic)

FYI

Recorded Oct 24th 1871 at 9 1/2 O'clock A.M.

The State of Texas: Harris County: Know all me by these presents that I Daniel Shipman of Washingtown County State aforesaid do hereby bargain sell and convey to Rufus R. Cage of Harris County State aforesaid, for the consideration of twenty-five hundred and eight Dollars to me in hand paid by the said Cage the tract of land bounded and described as follows, to wit:

beginning at the South West corner of a quarter of a league of land granted to Jacob Thomas, and on the eastern boundry of the Luke Moore League, thence North 20 degrees East one thousand varas to the North East corner of the tract of land herein described. Thence North seventy degrees one thousand varas to another corner. Thence South 20 degrees West to the South West corner of said tract of land a distance of one thousand varas. Thence South Seventy degrees East to the place of beginning embracing within said limits one labor or 177 acres of land more or less, the same being a tract of land in Harris County lying on both sides of Brays Bayou on which I resided in the year 1835 and one McClure in 1836, but on which there are now no improvements. I warrent title to the said tract of land to the said Cage his heirs and assigns forever. The said tract of land is in a square form. There is a balance of five hundred dollars of the purchase money due upon said tract evidenced by note bearing even date with this instrument and payable the firs day of Jany next for the payment of which a lien is retained upon the land.

In testimony of which I hereto sign my name and affix my scrawl Oct: 25, 1871 Dan Shipman (Seal)

Archived