The Woodlands Is A Hot Spot For Wealthy Mexicans

TAK

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our elementary school in the back is loaded with them. Mexican Plates galore in the carpool line. However, I thought one had 30 days to get Texas plates. MOst of these people have been here since before Christmas.

Our elementary school in the back is loaded with them. Mexican Plates galore in the carpool line. However, I thought one had 30 days to get Texas plates. MOst of these people have been here since before Christmas.

Well, the article states that a number of the residents are 2nd home owners. It's quite possible that they keep the car in the address in Mexico. There are people that do that here in the states as well.

It does seem a bit surprising that they would move in high concentrations to the woodlands as opposed to Pearland or Sugarland.

It does seem a bit surprising that they would move in high concentrations to the woodlands as opposed to Pearland or Sugarland.

the ones from middle mexico areas tend to like good high priced shopping. it always amazes me the numbers that are at the galleria.

How can all these wealthy Mexicans just come over here to buy a 2nd home and immediately put their kids into schools? Wouldn't they have to go through immigration legal steps, all the steps of buying a home, getting hired by a company here in Houston, etc. If they are just coming here for the high priced shopping, then they must be retired, but then if that is the case, how did they get permission to live here legally? If it's just being used as a vacation/2nd home, then why are they putting their kids in schools here rather than Mexico? My best guess is that they have gone through the process of obtaining dual citizenship and they are ownership class, meaning they don't work, but rather live off their savings and investments and just play golf all day.

Another thing that is interesting about this story is that shows how Mexico's entire class system is migrating here, not just the lower class. Some people are worried that Texas will be reclaimed by Mexico someday, but that wouldn't mean anything, since in the next 20 years, we'll see all of North America combine to form one government/monetary system, so all of the immigration into Texas seems logical.

Another thing that is interesting about this story is that shows how Mexico's entire class system is migrating here, not just the lower class. Some people are worried that Texas will be reclaimed by Mexico someday, but that wouldn't mean anything, since in the next 20 years, we'll see all of North America combine to form one government/monetary system, so all of the immigration into Texas seems logical.

Makes sense, since there are entire towns in Mexico that are all American citizens, retired or "ownership class" (didn't know it had a name, thanks!). I've seen a few TV reports about it over the years, and they have American supermarkets, American food, even the American papers on the same day they're published here.

Most recently these towns were in the news because corrupt local government officials were selling the Americans land that wasn't supposed to be sold (parkland, forest preserves, other people's property, etc...) and then running away with the money. The Americans only found out when the rightful owners turned up and wanted to know why there was a family of foreigners (Americans) living there. In spite of multiple appeals in court, the Americans lost their South-of-the-border homes.

How can all these wealthy Mexicans just come over here to buy a 2nd home and immediately put their kids into schools? Wouldn't they have to go through immigration legal steps, all the steps of buying a home, getting hired by a company here in Houston, etc. If they are just coming here for the high priced shopping, then they must be retired, but then if that is the case, how did they get permission to live here legally? If it's just being used as a vacation/2nd home, then why are they putting their kids in schools here rather than Mexico? My best guess is that they have gone through the process of obtaining dual citizenship and they are ownership class, meaning they don't work, but rather live off their savings and investments and just play golf all day.

IMO Mexico is worse than the US with respect to the wealthy vs. the non. that's why what i see here doesn't come as a surprise.

I'll take MONEY Alex for $500

Americans have been doing it all over the world forever (You would be surprised) and other countries have been doing it here since ummm the demise of the American Indian or NATIVE AMERICAN and created this country. I am sure it took a lot of money to get on a boat from Europe. It doesnt always take wealth but it makes it a whole lot easier.

Unless, of course, you were a slave and then you paid in another way. Blood, sweat, tears, lives... ect.

I am looking forward to moving to Central America someday...

How can all these wealthy Mexicans just come over here to buy a 2nd home and immediately put their kids into schools? Wouldn't they have to go through immigration legal steps, all the steps of buying a home, getting hired by a company here in Houston, etc. If they are just coming here for the high priced shopping, then they must be retired, but then if that is the case, how did they get permission to live here legally?

It is fairly simple. If you request and obtain a resident visa, then you are able to get into the schools. After all, you are a tax payer, the same as everyone else. A second home may not be the case, it may be the primary home. If you are here even on a visitor visa, you can go to the schools if you live in the district.

the ones from middle mexico areas tend to like good high priced shopping. it always amazes me the numbers that are at the galleria.

Your right everytyime im at The Galleria i hear people at Louis Vuitton, Gucci , specially at Abercrombie & Fitch speaking spanish. i asked one lady one time at Abercrombie & Fitch if she was from Mexico she said she was , so i asked her why they travel so far to shop she simply reply because most stores in The Galleria are found in Mexico but here in Houston is different, safety wise.

It is fairly simple. If you request and obtain a resident visa, then you are able to get into the schools. After all, you are a tax payer, the same as everyone else. A second home may not be the case, it may be the primary home. If you are here even on a visitor visa, you can go to the schools if you live in the district.

but not on a tourist visa, I suppose? I mean I know that there are non-resident visitors who put their kids in American schools, that is anybody who is not a Green card holder, for instance in grad school or working for a company. I'd be curious though whether HISD or other school districts in fact verify the immigration status of the children enrolled, I wouldn't think so...

wealthy mexicans or darker caucasians.....

most of your hispanics who grew up in a caucasian environment take on characteristics of whites anyway....

Look at ones who are Republican..especially that one who ran for mayor not long ago.....

most of your hispanics who grew up in a caucasian environment take on characteristics of whites anyway....

i hope you realize that all hispanics aren't dark? doesn't sound like it. ;)

what are "characteristics of whites"?

Look at ones who are Republican..especially that one who ran for mayor not long ago.....

wow.

but not on a tourist visa, I suppose? I mean I know that there are non-resident visitors who put their kids in American schools, that is anybody who is not a Green card holder, for instance in grad school or working for a company. I'd be curious though whether HISD or other school districts in fact verify the immigration status of the children enrolled, I wouldn't think so...

The US Supreme Court stated that a school district may not deny educational services to illegal immigrants.

See Plyler v. Doe at http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getc...57&page=202 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

I had to chuckle a bit when i read this post :lol:

It reminded me of a person i met in Charlotte, North Carolina. The subject of spanish as a second language came up. He was doing his best to explain to me and a few coworkers how different and much better Spain is over Mexico because the people in Spain are white. The spanish speaking white folk are better, in other words, than the darker skinned spanish speaking folks. :lol:

After i finished laughing at him i made it known that it was no longer safe for him to be sitting so close to me >:) The fella was really "out there" :lol:

Granted most Hispanics are caucasians. However, I've never seen a "white" person. Now music and moon may see it another way but I always give lee-way to the blind.

I'm probably darker than most of you all anyway and no one race except mine has been more discriminated against in history so I can say alot without reservation ......Orlando Sanzhez was his name I think...ran for mayor but that guy had more in common with whites than hispanics outside the last name....

I've noticed folks associate the darker mexicans with labor jobs as the "illegals", the lighter ones as "Americanized" and the well-spoken, wealthy ones as basically white....

before you all get offended, every race in America associates rap music, violence, booty shaking as apart of the black culture....

this forum is a perfect microcosm.....when areas lose property values, switch demographics it's because people think the "blacks or mexicans" are moving in...lets be honest now...

The flap in Klein ISD isn't about test scores, it's about how Westfield has changed and that affluent area that's fighting to switch districts is now the minority in SISD and wants to associate with its wealthier neighbors to the north that left Spring ISD for their reasons.

One of the reasons I moved to midtown was for more cultural diversity. I think the Fiesta on Wheeler is probably the most interesting mix of classes, cultures, and ethnic groups anywhere in the city. And it's a 3 minute walk from my front door. I love it.

I'm probably darker than most of you all anyway and no one race except mine has been more discriminated against in history so I can say alot without reservation ......Orlando Sanzhez was his name I think...ran for mayor but that guy had more in common with whites than hispanics outside the last name....

I've noticed folks associate the darker mexicans with labor jobs as the "illegals", the lighter ones as "Americanized" and the well-spoken, wealthy ones as basically white....

before you all get offended, every race in America associates rap music, violence, booty shaking as apart of the black culture....

this forum is a perfect microcosm.....when areas lose property values, switch demographics it's because people think the "blacks or mexicans" are moving in...lets be honest now...

The flap in Klein ISD isn't about test scores, it's about how Westfield has changed and that affluent area that's fighting to switch districts is now the minority in SISD and wants to associate with its wealthier neighbors to the north that left Spring ISD for their reasons.

More unfortunate stereotypes. All races dance, all races are violent, Rap is big because all races buy it. Every race has all these issues of how others see them. Sad but true, the only problem I have is when it gets difficult because there is a language barrier. I dont mind it when we try to communicate but when someone expects me to speak another language in the U.S. it bugs me. Other than that diversity is king. I would rather live around a bunch of different people than one type. But thats just me... I prefer flavor.

I would rather live around a bunch of different people than one type. But thats just me... I prefer flavor.

I am with you there. As far as language goes, "expecting" is one thing, speaking in native language is another. I am bilingual so. I go with the native language of the people around me. If people can express themselves in a language, so be it. I can learn more if they freely speak, not are trying to speak a second language.

Somewtimes I am surprised by who I think is native English - color and accent, only to find out that Spanish is their first language. Usually Italian or German origin but have lived in Mexico or South America for generations. Met a Kazakh once who has English as a second language but had a strong Scottish accent because of the source of her training. Was really interesting.

I am with you there. As far as language goes, "expecting" is one thing, speaking in native language is another. I am bilingual so. I go with the native language of the people around me. If people can express themselves in a language, so be it. I can learn more if they freely speak, not are trying to speak a second language.

Somewtimes I am surprised by who I think is native English - color and accent, only to find out that Spanish is their first language. Usually Italian or German origin but have lived in Mexico or South America for generations. Met a Kazakh once who has English as a second language but had a strong Scottish accent because of the source of her training. Was really interesting.

People have a tendency to open up once they know you speak their language. I had this woman that was very abrupt and hesitant to any inquiry I made, when I caught an accent, I switched to spanish and her eyes lit up and started talking to me, at length, on what she wanted, where to go, etc. Turns out she was just learning english and was still quite shy when using it around people she didn't know. So we would switch back and forth when she wanted to learn a new phrase.

There were times I preferred the initial conversation, though.

I think you meant to write "the flap in Spring ISD", as Westfield is part of Spring ISD.

The affluent area you refer to is Northgate, also part of Spring ISD.

The US Supreme Court stated that a school district may not deny educational services to illegal immigrants.

See Plyler v. Doe at http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getc...57&page=202 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyler_v._Doe

Yes, just one of many things wrong with this country's stance on illegal immigration.

i hope you realize that all hispanics aren't dark? doesn't sound like it. ;)

what are "characteristics of whites"?

The darker ones are more related to Native Americans, whereas the whiter one are related to descendants from Spain.

regardless...the lighther, affluent ones who grow up in certain areas don't retain their identity....

That's why J-Lo is so popular now...she can play both roles so damn easy...in Money Train, she blended in and then she can cross over and play roles like The Wedding Singer (that's the name?), etc.

The darker ones are more related to Native Americans, whereas the whiter one are related to descendants from Spain.

It all depends. People who are darker can be more related to Native Americans. In other instances and this often depends on the particular Latin American country, people who are darker can can be more related to people of African descent, especially in countries where there was strong African presence. Cuba, Brazil, Puerto Rico, and the Domican Republic are examples of Latin American countries where the was a strong African presence.

regardless...the lighther, affluent ones who grow up in certain areas don't retain their identity....

That's why J-Lo is so popular now...she can play both roles so damn easy...in Money Train, she blended in and then she can cross over and play roles like The Wedding Singer (that's the name?), etc.

LOL comparing roles that a person plays to the real person hardly correlates.

Archived