Port of Fort Worth Developments

Even without water, Alliance may soon be a port

Designation would let Alliance levy taxes for infrastructre

By ANNA M. TINSLEY

Star-Telegram staff writer

(Alliance, which covers 17,000 acres in far north Fort Worth, could get an inland-port designation under a bill in the Legislature. Alliance Airport, BNSF Railway and Interstate 35W provide the transportation for the development's distribution centers.)

FORT WORTH -- AllianceTexas could soon be an inland port, drawing countless international shipments and new dollars for improvements, under a state plan that drew endorsements Tuesday from local leaders.

Under a bill in the Texas Senate, city and county leaders would work together to create the ports, define property to be included in them and create governing boards to levy taxes for infrastructure and security improvements.

"Establishing a port authority will allow Alliance to continue to compete," said David Pelletier, director of communications for Hillwood, the company owned by Ross Perot Jr. that is developing the 17,000-acre AllianceTexas. "There's a lot of states looking to establish inland ports because it's about economic development."

The push for the legislation comes soon after the unveiling of plans to turn thousands of acres south of Dallas into a warehouse and distribution center that some say could rival Alliance.

What happened Tuesday: County and Fort Worth leaders unanimously endorsed a plan to create inland-port designations in Texas. The measure by state Sen. Jane Nelson, R-Lewisville, also won approval in the Senate Natural Resources Committee and is headed to the full Senate for debate.

Where an inland port could go: The bill says a port could be established in an area with a municipally owned airport, a Class 1 railroad and a priority corridor highway. In Fort Worth, those are Alliance Airport, BNSF Railway and Interstate 35W. The bill would allow inland ports across the state.

What an inland port would do: Much like a Public Improvement District, the authority would tax itself and use that revenue for improvements such as roads, runways, security measures or customs.

How much this could generate and what for: Pelletier said there are no estimates on how much money could be generated by the inland-port designation. But it would help Alliance move forward with infrastructure improvements.

Why this is needed: "Establishing an inland-port authority will strengthen Alliance's position as a major international trade corridor," said Nelson, whose district includes Alliance. "Goods from all over the world are clearing customs right here in our back yard, so it is vital that there be resources available for security, infrastructure and continued growth."

What local officials are saying: Assistant City Manager Joe Paniagua said the city's staff supports the concept of an inland port but has some concerns. They include whether the port authority's board would be subject to the Texas Open Meetings Act and whether the port authority could buy land and build facilities that would be tax-exempt.

Staff writer Mike Lee contributed to this report.

Anna M. Tinsley, 817-390-7610

FORT WORTH -- AllianceTexas could soon be an inland port,...

It already was unless you're on HAIF. I guess this whole article is just about a designation from the state. Good to see the state catch up with reality I guess.

jason

An inland port war between Dallas and Ft. Worth perhaps! Maybe not practical, but it would be cool if this were built somewhere along the banks of the Trinity.

Something I stumbled upon...

A second major influence for development was the desire of commercial interests for a shipping channel along the length of the Trinity River. This project, in its most grandiose design, was envisioned as a nine foot deep by 150-foot wide canal running upstream from Trinity Bay on the Gulf Coast to Dallas, and west all the way to Fort Worth. Downstream it would connect to the Houston Ship Channel. Twenty-six separate lock and dam projects were to be constructed. Today a ship channel is maintained upriver as far as river-mile 41 near Liberty, Texas. Although unlikely, if economic conditions were ever to make construction justifiable, a navigation channel linking Fort Worth to the Gulf of Mexico could still become a reality.

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/benbrook/...ion/History.asp

........ :o everybody close the shutters,lock the doors get in the bathtub and dragg the mattress over the tub............were in for a long one........or .................maybe some people are not stupid anymore.....who knws... :lol:

I was scanning around HAIF this evening when I noticed this thread about the Port of Fort Worth. Please standby for some forthcoming comments....

Been waiting just over 3 months for your comments on this so I guess we can wait a little longer. 3 months... this is going to be seriously funny.

All in all, this seems like a great plan with a solid footing. Fort Worth really has shown that it has vision with this development. Congratulations to the city of Fort Worth! :)

• 2 weeks later...
All I have to say is there has to be a better term we can use than "Port".

What bureaucrat came up with that?

Since this is no longer the 16th Century, why do you believe the term "port" only has to refer to a SEA port?

Shouldn't a PORT simply be a place where goods arrive and depart, regardless of the transport method?

• 2 months later...
Since this is no longer the 16th Century, why do you believe the term "port" only has to refer to a SEA port?

Because there is no water around Dallas for some 200 miles or so.

Shouldn't a PORT simply be a place where goods arrive and depart, regardless of the transport method?

Well Heck. My mailbox is a place where goods arrive and depart. But I dont go around claiming silly things like the "port of 2112"

Having said that, this is a great project for Fort Worth.

;)

Well Heck. My mailbox is a place where goods arrive and depart. But I dont go around claiming silly things like the "port of 2112"

;)

Your mailbox is a point of origin or destination; technically, it is not a port anyway. Just thought I would clear that up. :)

;)

ok....let me get this right Houstonians..............when dallas announces the arival of an inlan PORT ....we get this huge thread with thousands of post telling us how stupid it is to name it a "PORT" because of the lack of water oh ...and how we are trying to mislead the world and trick them into thinking that dallas has a nvigable river with a ship channel......but.....when Ft.worth....wich is only a merely 30 miles west of dallas and sits on the same "DITCH" of a river called the trinity....announces the same Identical project.............its suddenly the best idea in the world and its so great...not arguing thats its a great project but what happened to all the BS that came with the dallas port? Why don't the same antics apply to Ft. Worth ?Why was it oly bad when we came up with the Idea?...I don't understand you guys!!!!!!!!! :blink:

ok....let me get this right Houstonians..............when dallas announces the arival of an inlan PORT ....we get this huge thread with thousands of post telling us how stupid it is to name it a "PORT" because of the lack of water oh ...and how we are trying to mislead the world and trick them into thinking that dallas has a nvigable river with a ship channel......but.....when Ft.worth....wich is only a merely 30 miles west of dallas and sits on the same "DITCH" of a river called the trinity....announces the same Identical project.............its suddenly the best idea in the world and its so great...not arguing thats its a great project but what happened to all the BS that came with the dallas port? Why don't the same antics apply to Ft. Worth ?Why was it oly bad when we came up with the Idea?...I don't understand you guys!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Because people around here get tired of "some" Dallas posters billing their city as something it's not. We also get tired of coming to the DFW forum in respect, while you and a few others (not all) come here to mostly start trouble.

You would think that we would get used to it, but for some reason we don't.

Because people around here get tired of "some" Dallas posters billing their city as something it's not. We also get tired of coming to the DFW forum in respect, while you and a few others (not all) come here to mostly start trouble.

You would think that we would get used to it, but for some reason we don't.

o.....ok

We like Fort Worth.

Translation...Skyscraperless, redneck, anti-cosmpolitan Fort Worth, with it's small-town slowness and cows running in the streets is non- threatening and doesn't make insecure Houston forum members insecure. Which is why "we" like it.

Translation...Skyscraperless, redneck, anti-cosmpolitan Fort Worth, with it's small-town slowness and cows running in the streets is non- threatening and doesn't make insecure Houston forum members insecure. Which is why "we" like it.

Actually, I like it because I lived there for 7 years, and the people were refreshingly real, compared to the plastic and superficial jerks I met during my 2 years living in another city to the east. I loved the huge collection of 1930s bungalows on the westside, I loved my lakefront condo on Eagle Mountain Lake, I loved the thriving downtown, and as long as I stayed away from the Stockyards, I never saw rednecks, and never got stampeded by cattle drives. I also enjoyed living on West 4th Street, which allowed me to walk to several world renowned art museums (on 7th Street), something I could NEVER do in the cosmopolitan burg to the east. And, us Cowtowners laughed when the Fort Worth Ballet changed its name to the Fort Worth-Dallas Ballet, because the easterners did not have one. They have since gone even more vanilla, changing the name to the Texas Ballet Theater, though still based in Fort Worth.

In fact, if not for my being homesick for the Gulf of Mexico, I'd still live in Cowtown. I have nothing but fond memories and good things to say about Fort Worth. If that makes me insecure, so be it.

Actually, I like it because I lived there for 7 years, and the people were refreshingly real, compared to the plastic and superficial jerks I met during my 2 years living in another city to the east. I loved the huge collection of 1930s bungalows on the westside, I loved my lakefront condo on Eagle Mountain Lake, I loved the thriving downtown, and as long as I stayed away from the Stockyards, I never saw rednecks, and never got stampeded by cattle drives. I also enjoyed living on West 4th Street, which allowed me to walk to several world renowned art museums (on 7th Street), something I could NEVER do in the cosmopolitan burg to the east. And, us Cowtowners laughed when the Fort Worth Ballet changed its name to the Fort Worth-Dallas Ballet, because the easterners did not have one. They have since gone even more vanilla, changing the name to the Texas Ballet Theater, though still based in Fort Worth.

In fact, if not for my being homesick for the Gulf of Mexico, I'd still live in Cowtown. I have nothing but fond memories and good things to say about Fort Worth. If that makes me insecure, so be it.

Have you ever cruised around the neighborhood just NE of 8th ave and W Allen ave in the south side? That where my grandmal been living since the early 70's the houses were built in the early 1920's. Beautiful neighborhood.

Have you ever cruised around the neighborhood just NE of 8th ave and W Allen ave in the south side? That where my grandmal been living since the early 70's the houses were built in the early 1920's. Beautiful neighborhood.

Absolutely! I had several friends that lived off of 8th Ave., a little bit south of W. Allen. I tried to put an offer on a 1923 house back in there once, but the owner would not sell it. She didn't live in it, but grew up in it, and could not stand the thought of anyone else living in it. It just sat there, empty. My best friend lived 2 houses down from it. What a waste.

Fort Worth was surprisngly hilly the last time I went there (earlier this month).

Yeah, when I was a kid I would go to Fort Worth in the summertime. I would ride my bike down W Myrtle st. you would go so fast that you could not keep up with the peddling.

Archived