Stonewall Jackson Junior High School At 5100 Polk St.

Guest danax
Apparently, this style of design was popular for schools around this time. I call it the prison look.

I'd have to say that the current high schools, especially in inner city areas, are much more prisonesque. Sometimes they only have slits for windows.

I like the old brick construction and Jackson actually has some nice architectural features, like the arches at the entrance and the cream colored accents.

I'd have to say that the current high schools, especially in inner city areas, are much more prisonesque. Sometimes they only have slits for windows.

I like the old brick construction and Jackson actually has some nice architectural features, like the arches at the entrance and the cream colored accents.

I drove by very slowly the other day. It has only recently had new windows added all around plus you can actually read the name of the school in front above those arches. It had been neglected for years. Now it looks like windows are sealed. Kids used to toss desks, books and just about anything out the windows. Maybe teachers too! I always wanted to go and locate where my lockers were. Most of us have never set foot back in there since we left. Those type of buildings must have been made to last, that is they used them for hurricane shelters too. We almost bought the house on the hill right across the street. Thank God that never happened. When the bell rings the kids always walked over all neighboring yards and had big fights on them too. It was like The Blackboard Jungle only fist fights though. :ph34r::lol:

• 1 month later...
Even school was fun back then. There were no gangs or guns or knives. When our parents dropped us off in the mornings they knew we were in a safe place. All fights were with fists... that is unless the faculty got wind of a fight to be and it was nipped in the bud. Wow, did I just quote Barney Fife?

Susan...I think I was just a few years ahead of you at Jackson, but I have a much different memory of it. For me there were plenty of knives and guns and gangs. There were hispanic gangs that we called Pachucos back in '67-68 that used to rob me of my lunch money all the time at knifepoint. I think the Pachuco look was left over from the 40s and 50s and was like the Zoot Suit look without the suit. I knew someone who refused to give up his lunch money and got slashed across the face with a razor for it.

There was a large gangfight in either '67 or '68 that we called the Eastwood Park Fight. I knew a guy named Cowboy (don't know what his real name was) that got stabbed in the back with a butcher knife in that fight. I knew more than a few people that brought guns to school on more than one occasion. Coach Herman showed me a box up in the coaches office once that was full of all the switchblades, brass knuckles, pipes, and chains that had been confiscated. There were a few kids at Jackson who's parents were Bandidos and the kids would wear the colors around the school. Maybe things quieted down after you got there. Many people I knew used metal shop to make knives. Drugs were also quite common.

Susan...I think I was just a few years ahead of you at Jackson, but I have a much different memory of it. For me there were plenty of knives and guns and gangs. There were hispanic gangs that we called Pachucos back in '67-68 that used to rob me of my lunch money all the time at knifepoint. I think the Pachuco look was left over from the 40s and 50s and was like the Zoot Suit look without the suit. I knew someone who refused to give up his lunch money and got slashed across the face with a razor for it.

There was a large gangfight in either '67 or '68 that we called the Eastwood Park Fight. I knew a guy named Cowboy (don't know what his real name was) that got stabbed in the back with a butcher knife in that fight. I knew more than a few people that brought guns to school on more than one occasion. Coach Herman showed me a box up in the coaches office once that was full of all the switchblades, brass knuckles, pipes, and chains that had been confiscated. There were a few kids at Jackson who's parents were Bandidos and the kids would wear the colors around the school. Maybe things quieted down after you got there. Many people I knew used metal shop to make knives. Drugs were also quite common.

I had Coach Herman too. He was quite "hip" to the trouble makers. Best to remember the way it was. You know how they have stats that show how schools rank? It would be interesting to see how it stands today. We kids compared it to San Quentin and that was in the late 70's. Others will say I exagerrate or make it up so I will leave it alone. Peace on Earth, good will.... :blush:

I was there from fall of 69 til spring of 72. It was pretty quiet for the most part. My first year there was when intergration started. I remember the first morning the bussing started. We were pretty nervous and those kids getting off the busses were more nervous than we ever thought about being. Some kids got into fist fights but for the most part it was calm. I remember the drugs but it was mostly pot. I cant remember anyone taking heroin or cocaine and crack was still far in the future. I lucked out. My time spent there was very mellow, same as with Austin.

I was there from fall of 69 til spring of 72. It was pretty quiet for the most part. My first year there was when intergration started. I remember the first morning the bussing started. We were pretty nervous and those kids getting off the busses were more nervous than we ever thought about being. Some kids got into fist fights but for the most part it was calm. I remember the drugs but it was mostly pot. I cant remember anyone taking heroin or cocaine and crack was still far in the future. I lucked out. My time spent there was very mellow, same as with Austin.

True,

I was at Jackson from around 74-76. Only on occasion would you see kids smoking cigs or the occasional reefer out in the field. I never witnessed any real hard drugs within during this time. There were bad riots in the cafeteria and always in the gym even in the hallways. The lunch room was quite dangerous. They used those aluminum lunch trays then and when those become airborn watch out! Sometimes we would hear of someone being busted for carrying a pocket knife but never would anyone even think of a gun.

These were the days when paddling was in full swing (pardon the pun) and when I got paddled ouch!!! I learned my lesson. The principal would drill holes in the paddle so it hurt twice as much. The humiliation of waiting on the chair while everyone that entered the room was enough. They knew you were in trouble and were waiting your turn to get smacked. All the admins knew my family too so they always had to call mom and fill her in on why I was there. No use making up a story! Going back into your classroom was even more humilaiting as everyone knew. Or at least it was written all over your face. :blush::ph34r::lol:

True,

These were the days when paddling was in full swing (pardon the pun) and when I got paddled ouch!!! I learned my lesson. The principal would drill holes in the paddle so it hurt twice as much.

I was a bit mischievous in jr. high so I got my share of pops. Me and a friend of mine had a contest to see who could collect the most chalk board erasers. Each of us had a bout 15 of them in our gym bags which got searched while were were lining up in our team rows. Coach Herman called us to his office and when we got there he and Coach Gross had the erasers all in a pile on their desk. He was grinning, but he still gave us swats.

I remember those courtyards in the middle of the school, one was cemented in and was used to pass through from one wing to the other, but the other one had plants growing in it and was always closed off.

Somebody mentioned throwing things out of the window. I had a teacher once on the third floor who got called to the principals office and, while she was gone some of the mean boys in the class (no...not me) took everything out of her desk and threw it all out the window. All of her papers were blowing down Polk street. I think she about had a nervous breakdown over that.

Another thing mean boys used to do was to flush M80 firecrakers or Cherry Bombs down the toilet on the third floor in the boys room...they would travel down to the 2nd floor and then explode in the pipe, sending a geyser of water up onto whoever happened to be sitting in the 2nd floor girls bathroom stall.

Coach Herman and Coach Gross

Coach_Herman.jpg

Edited by isuredid

Principal Skaines

Principal_Skaines.jpg

Can't believe you got his photo! He used to scare us when he came down the hall with ruler in hand mind you. Big dude and always dressed up too.

The woman next to him is either his wife or one of the main administrators in the office. One looked just like Rosalind Russell (Mame) tall and had a mole on her cheek (face).

The other one was Mrs........? was short had brunette bouffant and go-go boots she was a bit too old to be wearing but she did it anyway.

Go Leopard's, go! Like Eastend Susan says!

Olga Campos Then

Olga_Campos_Cheerleader.jpg

Olga Campos now

Olga_Campos.jpg

Where in the world did you come up with these pics? They are incredible. In the cheerleader pics was one of the blondes Bonnie Kruse and the other Donna Phillips?The one with the brown hair looks kinda like Kathy Seeber and the other one with long dark hair looks like Sylvia Lamas. I remember Olga but I was friends with her sister Edna and her brother Adrian. I had forgotten what Mr. Skains looked like. I still have a orange and white trash can that says Jackson Leopards on it. I bought it during gym class. Its nice to have someone remember the same places and people that I do. Like Bob Hope said.. Thanks for the memories.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

Where in the world did you come up with these pics? They are incredible. In the cheerleader pics was one of the blondes Bonnie Kruse and the other Donna Phillips?The one with the brown hair looks kinda like Kathy Seeber and the other one with long dark hair looks like Sylvia Lamas. I remember Olga but I was friends with her sister Edna and her brother Adrian. I had forgotten what Mr. Skains looked like. I still have a orange and white trash can that says Jackson Leopards on it. I bought it during gym class. Its nice to have someone remember the same places and people that I do. Like Bob Hope said.. Thanks for the memories.

I was in 10th grade at Austin when those pix were taken. My running buddy Louis Trevino had asked Olga Campos to homecoming so me and another friend of mine went to the Jackson game to see Olga cheerleading. Bonnie Kruse and Kathy Seeber sound right. Donna Phillips sounds familiar, but I don't think I knew her. For homecoming we went to Valian's. It was a fun night, but I don't think Louis and Olga dated much beyond that night. I knew Adrian quite well. He was in the same class as I was.

Louis Trevino

Louis_Trevino_2.jpg

Edited by isuredid

I was in 10th grade at Austin when those pix were taken. My running buddy Louis Trevino had asked Olga Campos to homecoming so me and another friend of mine went to the Jackson game to see Olga cheerleading. Bonnie Kruse and Kathy Seeber sound right. Donna Phillips sounds familiar, but I don't think I knew her. For homecoming we went to Valian's. It was a fun night, but I don't think Louis and Olga dated much beyond that night. I knew Adrian quite well. He was in the same class as I was.

Louis Trevino

Louis_Trevino.jpg

I never went to a single football game at Jackson. Where did they play? Oh, Donna Phillips became a majorette at Austin and was the drum major her senior year 1974 right after Tracy Bloomfield in 1973. She was one of the sweetest people I have ever met not to mention very very pretty.

Most games were played at Barnett Stadium.

Whats funny about the photo of Mr Skaines is that everyone is sitting far away from him. Told you he was intimidating to some.

Mrs Blair was the admin or asst princ I recall she was tall with the brunette beehive, then Mr Morgan came later? he was like a playboy asst principal.

Wonder if anyone recalls the Woodshop teachers name? Remember the building was all glass all round. They could open each pane one by one. We always made the simplest projects. Mine always came out warped. :wacko:

Edited by Vertigo58

Most games were played at Burnett Stadium.

Whats funny about the photo of Mr Skaines is that everyone is sitting far away from him. Told you he was intimidating to some.

Mrs Blair was the admin or asst princ I recall she was tall with the brunette beehive, then Mr Morgan came later? he was like a playboy asst principal.

Wonder if anyone recalls the Woodshop teachers name? Remember the building was all glass all round. They could open each pane one by one. We always made the simplest projects. Mine always came out warped. :wacko:

I remember a Barnett stadium but it didnt open until 1976. I remember all of Austins home games were played at Jeppesen Stadium, at least until 1976.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

I remember a Barnett stadium but it didnt open until 1976. I remember all of Austins home games were played at Jeppesen Stadium, at least until 1976.

I hope we dont have our stadiums mixed up? Barnett is the one over off of Telephone Road & 610 not far from Gulfgate Mall (behind Frank's Grill) . It seemed very old to me back then. I know Jackson had some games way over at the stadium off of Mangum Road at 610 & 290. This was around 74 though I used to go to see friends in the football team play there. Was it Butler Stadium?

Again I am almost sure that Barnett was made way before 1976. I could be wrong though. Last I saw there were just hundreds of school buses parked on the land.

I hope we dont have our stadiums mixed up? Barnett is the one over off of Telephone Road & 610 not far from Gulfgate Mall (behind Frank's Grill) . It seemed very old to me back then. I know Jackson had some games way over at the stadium off of Mangum Road at 610 & 290. This was around 74 though I used to go to see friends in the football team play there. Was it Butler Stadium?

Again I am almost sure that Barnett was made way before 1976. I could be wrong though. Last I saw there were just hundreds of school buses parked on the land.

Golfcrest Country Club closed on December 31, 1970.

Then they would have to clear the site and build a stadium.

so i think East End Susan is probably right or very close to being right.

I checked on the Texas High School Stadium Database Texasbob.com and it has Barnett Stadium as being built in 1976. I graduated in 1975 and never went to a game at Barnett. I think thats where Austin ended up playing their home games. Glad I was NOT there for that. Jeppesen Stadium was so very cool. I remember I was going to go to Austins homecoming game in 1977 but found out it was held at Barnett stadium and chose not to go. I drove by the stadium and was very disappointed at what I saw. It was just another stadium. No history like Jeppesen.

Edited by EastEnd Susan

There may have been a previous Barnett Stadium, but the one on Fairway was opened in 1976. Butler Stadium is way out S. Main Street past Hiram Clark. Delmar Stadium is the one off 290 and Mangum.

In reference to one of your previous post, when I first started going to Jackson I rode a yellow school bus to school and Mr. Marcontel was the bus driver. I guess he needed the extra money. The kids on the bus were always mean to him and he had a hard time with taking control. I don't remember the wood shop teacher, but my metal shop teacher was Mr. Morrison. I had Mrs. Law for Texas History and Drama. I had a teacher named Mr. Porter for math. He was very shy and wore thick horn-rimmed Clark Kent type glasses. He would pace back and forth behind his desk during the entire class and had worn off all the varnish on the floor. He used to write little witticisms on the board every day. He spoke so low you could hardly hear him...he was a low talker. Wasn't there another teacher named Camarata?

Edited by isuredid

There may have been a previous Barnett Stadium, but the one on Fairway was opened in 1976. Butler Stadium is way out S. Main Street past Hiram Clark. Delmar Stadium is the one off 290 and Mangum.

In reference to one of your previous post, when I first started going to Jackson I rode a yellow school bus to school and Mr. Marcontel was the bus driver. I guess he needed the extra money. The kids on the bus were always mean to him and he had a hard time with taking control. I don't remember the wood shop teacher, but my metal shop teacher was Mr. Morrison. I had Mrs. Law for Texas History and Drama. I had a teacher named Mr. Porter for math. He was very shy and work thick horn-rimmed Clark Kent type glasses. He would pace back and forth behind his desk during the entire class and had worn off all the varnish on the floor. He used to write little witticisms on the board every day. He spoke so low you could hardly hear him...he was a low talker. Wasn't there another teacher named Camarata?

(I am grinning) as you named each teacher I could mentally picture the names above each door as you walked down the halls. Mr Marcontel, I mentioned him above somewhere. I had him at that 3rd floor corner room. Yes, everyone was quite mean to him. Ironically enough, I had him for summer school one summer at Dee Dee Jr High :ph34r: little did I realize that was PURE rock n roll high school! made Jackson look like a Catholic school! Even there the kids there used to torment that poor man. Mr Marcontel's class room is where kids would toss out desks/chairs, etc to the bushes below. Miracle they didnt toss him out too! Now he is someone that should have been given a taser gun. Hee Hee.

I wonder what ever happended to all of those relic trophys in the glass cases in the main entrance? They had footbal team pics from like the 1920's Wow!

I graduated from Milby in 1977 and attended Jackson Jr High prior to that. I played football and can tell you that all of our Jr High home games were played at what they called Little Jeppesen. It was was west of Jeppesen stadium behind the old fieldhouse. There are U of H residential apartments on the site today. The Little stadium also doubled as a baseball field in the spring and therefore the bleachers went all the way down the field, and then turned left to form a corner. In that corner was where home plate was for the baseball field. I played high school football at Jeppesen till my junior year and in the fall of 1976 which was the start of my senior year all district 17-4a home games were played at Barnett which was built on the site of the old Golfcrest Country Club. Golfcrest moved to its current location in Pearland in 1971. When they closed the old course my friends and I used to go swimming in the old ponds that were part of the course. If you want to see some neat architechture right next to Barnet is the old Spanish styled Golfcrest clubhouse that they still use as an office for HISD transportation. There is also a bus barn at the old Golfcrest site.

I also played baseball in high school and we played at Little Jeppesen until 1977 when Barnett's baseball fields were opened. In college at U of H I played Lacrosse and during my junior year we were allowed to play our home games at Little Jeppesen and that brought back a lot of memories.

I graduated from Milby in 1977 and attended Jackson Jr High prior to that. I played football and can tell you that all of our Jr High home games were played at what they called Little Jeppesen. It was was west of Jeppesen stadium behind the old fieldhouse. There are U of H residential apartments on the site today. The Little stadium also doubled as a baseball field in the spring and therefore the bleachers went all the way down the field, and then turned left to form a corner. In that corner was where home plate was for the baseball field. I played high school football at Jeppesen till my junior year and in the fall of 1976 which was the start of my senior year all district 17-4a home games were played at Barnett which was built on the site of the old Golfcrest Country Club. Golfcrest moved to its current location in Pearland in 1971. When they closed the old course my friends and I used to go swimming in the old ponds that were part of the course. If you want to see some neat architechture right next to Barnet is the old Spanish styled Golfcrest clubhouse that they still use as an office for HISD transportation. There is also a bus barn at the old Golfcrest site.

I also played baseball in high school and we played at Little Jeppesen until 1977 when Barnett's baseball fields were opened. In college at U of H I played Lacrosse and during my junior year we were allowed to play our home games at Little Jeppesen and that brought back a lot of memories.

Thanks....I was just doing research on that very topic...so now I can stop. I couldn't remember if it was called Jeppesen Jr. or what, and so was searching for the answer, but you are right...that's where we played Jackson home games. I played football at Jackson too 10 years before you. I also ran around the Golfcrest Country Club after it closed. We used to go hunting with our pellet rifles over there. I didn't take long for it to go wild.

Edited by isuredid

I also ran around the Golfcrest Country Club after it closed. We used to go hunting with our pellet rifles over there. I didn't take long for it to go wild.

So true, now the area is AK-47s, pellet guns are out of fashion around there now. :wacko: They could film "Cops" on location at any time.

The real irony of all of this part of town was no matter where you were going wether it was shopping at the mall, grocery stores, eat out, Telephone Road was always nearby. We all laugh about it now. It seems almost everyone we knew growing up was close to Telephone. No one wants to admit though. :ph34r: Wonder why! chuckle, chuckle...

Like the local saying goes, "For every broken curb/beer bottle on Telephone Road there's a broken heart"

Here's a photo of the band from that same football game. Check out the outfit that woman is wearing..the 60s weren't over for her

I cannot recall that music teachers name but I had him too. He was in a shack as soon as you came in from, was that Baird street? I was learning the trumpet while in his class and the song

"Color My World" by Chicago was played many at time at his piano. That teacher was very dramatic in his hand gestures, he also had a short temper. Speaking of shacks, last time I passed by there it looked as if all of them are gone. My homeroom was in a shack near to this music teachers. I recall that most of the teachers around our homeroom were very young & beautiful of course. I had a Ms Epstein for a while and next door was I think Ms Farr? Ms Duty was my art teacher all were gorgeous. :blush:

Susan...do you know the name of the girl with the pixie haircut?

New_Jackson_Cheerleaders_II.jpg

I'm thinking it's Connie Wood. I emailed Olga Campos and she mentioned Connie as being one of the cheerleaders. I wrote to her to tell her about the cheerleader pics. She came to HAIF and saw them and said "What a blast from the past!" Her parents still live on Weaver right there by Jackson. I think Lynn Ayers might be the other one in that pic. Olga also mentioned she was still in touch with Lynn. She recently went to her birthday Party.

Edited by EastEnd Susan