Blacks, Hispanics fare worse in traffic stops

musicman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
houstonmacbro, it will never change unfortunately.

We have yet to see any evidence of reverse racism.

Whites are the majority, and until the population demographics change, it is what it is.

In Houston, I thought, the population had changed. If I am not mistaken, there is no majority ... unfortunately, that is probably not the case on the police forces.

In Houston, I thought, the population had changed. If I am not mistaken, there is no majority ... unfortunately, that is probably not the case on the police forces.

Have we determined the skin color of the police officer in question here ? Did I miss that part ? It was probably your Karma Howard, it was just catching up with you for something else you did, and never got caught doing.

Quit being paranoid, they really ARE out to get you !

What a laughable assertion. I guess you've never been a white guy in a predominantly black part of town.

I have been for a four years now. I honestly can't say that I've been the victim of any outright racist hostility. If there's any racism directed my way, it's very subtle. I may just not be perceptive (or sensitive) enough to catch it...

I thought for a little while that I was being discriminated against at the Popeye's near our house, but I soon realized that they offer the same $hitty service to all their customers, regardless of race. <_<

Now, I don't mean this to say that I think we're beyond racism. It's just not the outright, in-your-face racism of my parents' generation. Many of the same fears are still there, but it's just not PC to voice them. Racism is a subtle, unspoken thing nowadays.

No, this is what happens when you don't provide all the information, where in this post does it say, he slowed down for you to pass so that he could get a look at you ?

He pulled you over for the bright lights not your skin color, I have been pulled over for the same offense, but I purposely had them on because I knew one of my lowbeams were out. This was a hispanic DPS officer, he then proceeded to do a field sobriety on me, which I failed because I couldn't stand on one leg and do ABC's. Which I informed him I couldn't do before I even attempted it, so I didn't even attempt it. So he cuffed me and stuffed me, then when my breathalizer cleared, after about an hour of harassment by jailers and other police, This WHITEBOY was given a ticket for the light and I fought and got dismissed. I have been pulled over somewhere about 27 times or so. It is all about your ATTITUDE towards the officer. If you have one when he/she asks for your license, you are in for a rough time. You simply say yes sir or yes ma'm. Don't ask stupid questions like, "What did you pull me over for ? I didn't do nothing !" The officer WILL explain it to you in due time. Let him do his job, and if you are apologetic and say things like "I didn't realize I couldn't go 75 in a school zone sir". He may very well let you off with a warning. I have only been written up half the times I've gotten pulled over, because I cooperate.

Are you arguing that there is racism or there isn't, because you are are actually proving examples for it; looks like you got away with more than you should, while he got something he shouldn't be getting.

Are you arguing that there is racism or there isn't, because you are are actually proving examples for it; looks like you got away with more than you should, while he got something he shouldn't be getting.

This officer was trying to make an example of me, but couldn't make it stick. He tried to run me down for DWI over a broken headlight ? Just a tad excessive, but again, he was doing his job and I wasn't drunk AT ALL. Better safe than sorry. Do I think it was racism, NO, I NEVER felt it was because I was a whiteboy and he was hispanic with a badge and gun. I think it was a slow Saturday night, and he needed to earn his pay. I was in the wrong to begin with (had the highbeams on) and I simply complied with the officer, and it all came out as it should. I am arguing that there was NO racism in Howard's case or mine.

You don't get excused of the law just because you are ignorant of it ? Howard should have been aware that his brights were on, that is what the little blue headlamp indicator is for, and it usually sits right above your gauges that you are supposed to be checking.

This officer was trying to make an example of me, but couldn't make it stick. He tried to run me down for DWI over a broken headlight ? Just a tad excessive, but again, he was doing his job and I wasn't drunk AT ALL. Better safe than sorry. Do I think it was racism, NO, I NEVER felt it was because I was a whiteboy and he was hispanic with a badge and gun. I think it was a slow Saturday night, and he needed to earn his pay. I was in the wrong to begin with (had the highbeams on) and I simply complied with the officer, and it all came out as it should. I am arguing that there was NO racism in Howard's case or mine.

You don't get excused of the law just because you are ignorant of it ? Howard should have been aware that his brights were on, that is what the little blue headlamp indicator is for, and it usually sits right above your gauges that you are supposed to be checking.

That doesn't make any sense. you saying that you, a white dude, got away with the same offense, while howard, a non-white dude, had to pay $100 for the same offense; therefore, there is no racism and howard is just paranoid?

So after being blinded by your high-beams, he was still able to look into your vehicle, in the dark, and was able to see your skin color? I won't even take into account that almost all police cars have dark tint which at night would hinder their vision, also that you might have tinted windows.

So even if he did give you a ticket based on skin color, it surely wasn't because he was able to determine that fact before pulling you over.

The point was to understand that minorities get treated differently by the police more often...

There were street lights, if he was that blind he wouldnt have been able to drive let alone see me. He was white. No tinted windows for me. I guess he didnt see me when I have him my license and registration. Or when I told him I didnt realise my brights were on (I dont stare at the dash when I am driving only a quick look at my speed). I easily could have gotten a warning but I got $100.00 ticket.

Racial or not. We have to deal with racial issues often. Sometimes subtle sometimes not. Its part of a minorities life, if you look at the proof rather than try to ignore it or dispell it you may understand why we feel this way. Or you are just happy with not believing the truth.

Game over, thanks for playing.

What a laughable assertion. I guess you've never been a white guy in a predominantly black part of town.

Well, in that case, the whites would be the minority and the black the majority.

Let generalize that minorities will always be discriminated by the majority.

Is this becuase they are black or becuase they drive cars that scream "pull me over".

Examples include multiple La Raza FM stickers or Dub rims with curb feelers.

Whitey likes to blend in.

Now, THAT'S the definition of a free society.

As long as you "blend in", you won't be arrested. Where's the Proud To Be An American thread when I need it.

That doesn't make any sense. you saying that you, a white dude, got away with the same offense, while howard, a non-white dude, had to pay $100 for the same offense; therefore, there is no racism and howard is just paranoid?

I didn't get away with ANYTHING. I got a ticket for it, just like he did. He obviously didn't go to court to plead his case. This was ten years ago, and I actually got 2 tickets, one for the highbeams and one for a broken headlamp. So, yes, for the third time I will tell you that there was no racism.

Interesting read.

My sister and brother-in-law are both lawyers.

My brother in law is a familiar face in the courts. Things he has to say about officers giving tickets to certain people of certain skin color or race is very interesting. He firmly believes there is discrimination happening and it is centered around a number of policemen, small number. He says, just show up at traffic court, watch the offenders and the officers. The same set of officers will most likely be standing in court to support thier issuance of a ticket to a black or hispanic person. He says he sees it over and over again. One of those things that make you go, hmmmmm. He also says this discrimination, as he sees it, by the officers crosses racial lines---meaning the officers themselves are white and black, from his observations. Hes convinced that both white and black officers, especially the select few he has personally witnessed time and again in the courts, are discriminating against black and hispanic citizens. BTW, my brother-in-law is WHITE ;)

I have heard from my Mini Me that he has been followed several times by officers and the officers appeared to be running his plate. Could it be because hes a young black man driving a brand new pick-up truck? Hmmm.

My oldest son has said the same has happened to him many times and he was once issued a ticket for not having his seat belt on. The ticket for the seat belt was as follows----

He got into his car which was parked in a strip center and drove maybe 2500 ft to another store in the same strip center and the cop which was there in the parking lot followed him to issue him a ticket. Could it be because hes a young black man driving a shiny new convertible? Hmmm.

Many things have changed for the better race wise. Many things also have stayed the same race wise.

He got into his car which was parked in a strip center and drove maybe 2500 ft to another store in the same strip center and the cop which was there in the parking lot followed him to issue him a ticket. Could it be because hes a young black man driving a shiny new convertible? Hmmm.

Could it be because he's breaking the law?

My brother in law is a familiar face in the courts. Things he has to say about officers giving tickets to certain people of certain skin color or race is very interesting. He firmly believes there is discrimination happening and it is centered around a number of policemen, small number. He says, just show up at traffic court, watch the offenders and the officers. The same set of officers will most likely be standing in court to support thier issuance of a ticket to a black or hispanic person. He says he sees it over and over again. One of those things that make you go, hmmmmm. He also says this discrimination, as he sees it, by the officers crosses racial lines---meaning the officers themselves are white and black, from his observations. Hes convinced that both white and black officers, especially the select few he has personally witnessed time and again in the courts, are discriminating against black and hispanic citizens. BTW, my brother-in-law is WHITE ;)
So how is it racist if a Black police officer gives a black person a ticket, but its NOT racist if a White officer gives a white person a ticket?

Also, if your brother works in the City of Houston Municipal Courts building then YES, he is going to see the same HPD officers over and over again. HPD is split into two divisions: traffic & patrol. Half of the traffic division officer's job is to show up in court and make sure the 30-40 tickets he issues daily stick. This is why when you go to court, you'll see just one officer for a good amount of the people in court.

My oldest son has said the same has happened to him many times and he was once issued a ticket for not having his seat belt on. The ticket for the seat belt was as follows----

Did he at anytime leave the private parking lot and enter a public road? If not then I'm pretty sure it should have been dismissed. Also, you know as well as anyone that you can only believe half of what your kids ever tell you - especially when they've gotten in trouble.

Could it be that he is PRESUMED to be breaking the law BECAUSE he is black?

Could it be that you are making a HUGE assumption to validate feelings of victimhood? It's not hard to see the status of someone's seatbelt in a convertible.

I recall even back in the 70's we were always warned to really watch it driving through places like Pasadena because the cops didn't care what the hell color you were but if you were young and looked hippyish you are asking for it. To get stopped that is. Cops assume your up to no good because the person may be on drugs or something. In those days anyone with long hair or questionable bumper stickers were targets. :wacko:

Bellaire also has always been know as a hot bed for anxious cops just dying to ticket regardless of who or what you are. Still is.

The victim mentality is too well imbedded in the psyche. Blame, blame, blame. :wacko:

No. It's to ask a question that I would like an answer to. YOU are presuming EYE meant something by asking it.

Here's your answer:

YES, it COULD be that he was presumed to be breaking the law because he was black.

However, that is one of several possible explainations for why he got the ticket and you offer no evidence that it is any more valid than the others.

Was he, in fact, wearing his seat belt?

If he was not, then he, in fact, deserved the ticket, regardless of his skin color. Case closed.

Here's your answer:

YES, it COULD be that he was presumed to be breaking the law because he was black.

However, that is one of several possible explainations for why he got the ticket and you offer no evidence that it is any more valid than the others.

Was he, in fact, wearing his seat belt?

If he was not, then he, in fact, deserved the ticket, regardless of his skin color. Case closed.

Thanks for the answer but case is not closed. Who died and made you HAIF god?

Archived