How hard is it to start a bar in Midtown? What does it take?

Anyone have any idea what all the steps are to start a bar in Midtown and about what it takes capital wise to open one? Also any opinions on if Midtown could take another bar/club and what you think would do well there?

depends on your intensions. midtown's bars have flipped quite a bit. IMO many of the ones that have opened are more concerned with making money vs. creating more of an atmosphere where you'd want to go back.

depends on your intensions. midtown's bars have flipped quite a bit. IMO many of the ones that have opened are more concerned with making money vs. creating more of an atmosphere where you'd want to go back.

Thats a contradictory statement but I guess I know what you mean. What do you mean by flipped? How is the area around Bond and Escobar? Anyone think that area is going to be like the next 6th street?

Thats a contradictory statement but I guess I know what you mean. What do you mean by flipped? How is the area around Bond and Escobar? Anyone think that area is going to be like the next 6th street?

by flipped i mean after a yr or so it closes and changes names under new ownership. what is contradictory? IMO Bond and Escobar are both clubs that won't be in existence for a long time. the clientele are all around the same age. there is nothing to draw other age groups which would lead to a more well rounded clientele which leads to longevitiy. While i have been to both, it was only briefly because both places are not my style. "Kiddie" club comes to mind.

Actually, Escobar is panned by people that went to try it and others by it's "snob factor". I'm sure that club will last a couple of more years.

Clubs in Houston are notorious for having a short shelf life, you're better off trying to make something that will probably last for a number of years or at least attract a good steady business.

That can take the form of an Ice House, a small pub, or a bar that can take several personalities. (karaoke' mondays or whatever)

I'd look into the scene for awhile before I'd settle on the location.

Of course, that would require you to go to quite a few clubs in the area, y'know. :)

I went to Cobain's for the first time on Saturday. I hope it will stay around a little while, had a great time there.

If 3 friends walked in to a club and all of you hung around for at least 2 hours. You would get the same or different experiences of the place from each of them I bet. It never fells. Theres nothing wrong with that. There are times I go in a place have a great time go back a month later and its not as fun. It all has to do with mood, attitude and who you are with at that given moment. I have been with my share of Debby-Downers that can really affect your evenings experience. Everyone has thier own take just like in food, movies etc. Back to topic, I would not open "anything" near that beautiful, crime-free Greyhound Bus Station with lots of nice guys walking around / see past threads. :ph34r:

If you are serious, do something different. Not another pretty club, but aim at the alternatives....continental club, numbers, blancos, all have been around longer than the avg club life

If you are serious, do something different. Not another pretty club, but aim at the alternatives....continental club, numbers, blancos, all have been around longer than the avg club life

Places like #'s have withstood the test of time because they don't give damn about following the trends like most mainstream places do. Its one of the only places I know where one minute your hearing a hardcore british band then the next minute your hearing a waltz. Its a shock to the system of yuppy/trendy types. Totally flips them out! Yeaaa!

These 1st or 2nd time owners try to bring in a crowd that looks/acts like the cast of "Friends" arggg! Thats your first sign of failure. Yes, I want to be just like Chandler, Mr Cool, not. Then you have the places that force you to tuck in a shirt or you have to fit the image they percieve as "acceptable". I could go on but I guess everyone can relate. Final tip, dont try to attract a bunch of Deperate Housewive/Sex In The City types either! Like DEVO sang "Were through being cool" - "Eliminate The Ninnies and the Twits" :lol:

• 1 month later...
Anyone have any idea what all the steps are to start a bar in Midtown and about what it takes capital wise to open one? Also any opinions on if Midtown could take another bar/club and what you think would do well there?

Save yourself and take a selfish vacation... DON'T DO IT!!

There are so many things to consider when you want to open a bar. First and foremost, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

My sister and I opened a small bar with practically zero capital, and are about to celebrate 2 years. We bought a little dive that has been in business for the past 25 years (only two previous owners). It was already sucessful, so the only thing we changed was the name and the carpet. We have 'regulars' who have been going to that bar for 20+ plus years. One of our bartenders has been employed there for 15 years (yes, we got her in the purchase too!). Basically, this place would do well regardless of who owned it... the regulars will keep coming.

Aside from the above, you will literally sell your soul to the State. You have so many regulations/requirements/etc., to deal with that it's just mind-blowing. You have to a permit for every direction the damn wind blows... my favorite: Dance Floor Permit. Yes, you read that correctly.

If you truly want to open a bar, you can drop a line via HAIF and I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. However, my best advice would be to just hang-on to your sanity and remain a patron. ;)

I forgot to say what it takes to make a bar in Midtown, a really good design idea that will last for more than 6 months, and about $500,000 to $750,000 in operating capital, depending on how big and what you put inside.

numbers is still open?!?!? LOL

wow i went there a long time ago..must say that was quite an experience, lol

anyway, back to topic opening a bar is going to cost quite a bit, well depending if you make it nice or not. i worked a little on salud winery and martini park and there's alot you have to take into consideration. licenses etc. it's a scary investment cuz like musicman said they tend to not last long. do you have a specific theme for your bar???

Archived