macing dogs

GREASER

Everytime we walk with our dogs, there are always dogs that come up and charge my dogs...of course mine are on a leash and theirs arent. There have been a couple of small fights with them...I usually go after the dog and kick them if I can and that stops it....is it against the law to spray them with mace...I am tired of this crap. How fast does the pound respond to loose dogs? Does any one have a suggestion?

I have the same problem and think it is a great idea. There is something at Petsmart called dog stop, its mace for dogs. Sprayed at their nose rather than their eyes. Would make more sense to mace the owners for being stupid. I have also considered capturing the offending dog and tying him to a tree till the owner comes to get it. Probably get arrested for that though. I dont think the pound is much help, they often require you to capture the dog first as it will likely be gone when they get there. Our HOA had the nerve to send out a notice that all dogs without collars would be picked up. So I guess it is okay for your dog to run loose if it has a collar on.

Even if the stray dog isn't aggresive it is very hard to walk two large dogs when you have a stray that comes up and wants to play. I understand that dogs will get out by accident from time to time but people that constantly let their dogs run loose should be fined.

Everytime we walk with our dogs, there are always dogs that come up and charge my dogs...of course mine are on a leash and theirs arent. There have been a couple of small fights with them...I usually go after the dog and kick them if I can and that stops it....is it against the law to spray them with mace...I am tired of this crap. How fast does the pound respond to loose dogs? Does any one have a suggestion?

Capturing the dog is actually a good option, I haven't thought of that and that might have some merit if you just want to send them to the pound. The only downside is that it may be traumatic (and possibly dangerous) to your pet.

I was going to suggest you carry doggy mace (brilliant!), but to have a small pellet gun to help dissuade repeat offenders and a knife in case things get ugly.

I was going to suggest you carry doggy mace (brilliant!), but to have a small pellet gun to help dissuade repeat offenders and a knife in case things get ugly.

Airsoft. Biodegradable 6mm platic BBs. A rapid-fire stream of low-velocity plastic never fails. It is just enough to bruise, not enough for a welt or to break skin.

I recommend one of the cheap novelty guns that cannot under any circumstances possibly be confused for anything but a toy, like shown below:

m16minielectricweb.jpg

Can't mace a dog in Texas, huh? Who'd a thunk it?

When I lived in Cincinnati, I remember there was some controversy because across the river in Kentucky the state law was written so that you could shoot any dog that "worries" you. People were shooting their neighbors dogs all the time, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

After losing a couple of purebreds, I bet bad dog owners started leashing their pets all the time. Maybe Houston needs a similar law.

Cop neighbor says its a 500 fee for loose dogs..I think I may take him on a walk with me this week as there is one house thats a repeat offender..

Mace first, ask questions later. Better than risking a gaping hole to your dog's neck. You may be able to combat a charge by using the 3rd party protection law that allows you to use up to deadly force whlie defending someone else's life.

Try carrying a bat or something. I'd shy away from mace b/c there's too much of a chance you'll mace your pups too. We have a couple people in the 'hood who walk around with bats and it seems to do the trick. Of course if your not accurate with that it'll cause the same problem.

Airsoft. Biodegradable 6mm platic BBs. A rapid-fire stream of low-velocity plastic never fails. It is just enough to bruise, not enough for a welt or to break skin.

I recommend one of the cheap novelty guns that cannot under any circumstances possibly be confused for anything but a toy, like shown below:

m16minielectricweb.jpg

I'm not so sure I'd want to take that around my neighborhood with me. Believe me, there are people who can confuse that with real, esp if they are not familiar with guns.

Try something plastic, in a neon color, and clearish, like a water gun. Fill it with Tabasco and spray into the eyes. That would stop anything, I would think.

I'm not so sure I'd want to take that around my neighborhood with me. Believe me, there are people who can confuse that with real, esp if they are not familiar with guns.

Try something plastic, in a neon color, and clearish, like a water gun. Fill it with Tabasco and spray into the eyes. That would stop anything, I would think.

Yeah, paint the tip neon orange and problem solved. Either that or buy one of the ones that looks like a mini-AK-47. It looks even more toy-like.

What I like about Airsoft as opposed to mace or tabasco is that 1) you have a longer effective range and 2) you don't have to aim for the eyes. Point and shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, waddya know, Houston ranks high in dogs biting mail carriers.

Link

But the Legislature is reacting.

May 17, 2007, 10:55PM

If your dog attacks, you may go to prison

By JANET ELLIOTT

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

Dog owners could face felony charges the first time their pets attack and seriously injure or kill another person in an unprovoked attack. Under the current "one free bite" law, an owner can be charged with a misdemeanor only if their dog has already attacked someone or been deemed dangerous by a court or animal-control official.

House Bill 1335 returns to the House with Senate amendments that exempt attacks at dog shows, hunting outings, farm or ranch work and if the dog is on a leash or the owner is making reasonable attempts to regain control.

For serious injuries, an owner could be charged with a third-degree felony, punishable by up to 10 years in prison. Attacks involving death could bring a second-degree felony charge, with a maximum sentence of 20 years.

Link

Myself, I just bought some dog-repelling pepper spray, but I haven't had to use it. Yet.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marty

I would take a walk without your dogs next time and try to lure them with beacon strips in your back pocket's then run to your house and call the the dog pound to pick the agitator up or 911 if you are a slow runner.

Dogs are territorial ... can you simply change your route?

Archived