Cool little Texas museums

editor

There's lots of little museums around Texas worth visiting. Some near, some far. List some of your favorites. Mine are:

• Forbidden City in Katy - Some Chinese businessman has recreated the wonders of Beijing in miniature in order to foster cultural understanding around the world.
  • Museum of Asian Cultures in Corpus Christi - Very small, but worth popping in if you're in the area.
  • Texas Prison Museum in Huntsville - You won't believe the things the inmates can make behind bars with a little time and garbage.
  • Border Patrol Museum, El Paso - I earned a new respect for the work of Border Patrol agents and their quarry when I visited this one. Don't know if it's since been chanced to the I.C.E. museum or not.
  • Crawford County Museum? - Not sure about this one. It was outside of San Antonio. An old haunted jail turned into a small museum. I'll have to look it up.

269906980_994e9f3712.jpg

the original terminal at Hobby Airport is now a museum. It's in the process of being restored. You can even go up to the conning tower, out on the roof, the tarmac, etc. It's alot of fun to sit and watch the jets take off and land.

• 2 months later...
269906980_994e9f3712.jpg

the original terminal at Hobby Airport is now a museum. It's in the process of being restored. You can even go up to the conning tower, out on the roof, the tarmac, etc. It's alot of fun to sit and watch the jets take off and land.

Sad to report it's one of the best kept secrets in town, but it's one of my favorite places.

It even has a great website with a lot of great photos. http://1940airterminal.org/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Baytown has a nice museum located in the old downtown Goose Creek section. It leans toward the (Humble/Exxon) refinery but has some excellent exhibits that would be of interest to anyone.

Archived