Prairie Style - Craftsman Era

bachanon

Are there any HAIF members or guests who could contrast and compare the "Prairie Style" with the "Craftsman Era"? Is the Prairie Style exclusively a design discipline formed by Frank Lloyd Wright? Is Craftsman specifically cottage style bungalows (with detailed iron fixtures & hardware)?

awesome, awesome, awesome!!! thanks subdude. am i the only person that wouldn't hate it if the prairie style were a little more popular in houston?

i like the craftsman bungalows, but those big prairie style houses just make me tingle.

As I understand it the Craftsman Style was part of the Arts and Crafts movement that covered a lot of the decorative arts.  The Prairie Style is related but is really primarily associated with the Midwestern houses designed by FL Wright.  Here are a couple of links with definitions:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

The homes in that 3rd link are gorgeous. THis is the type of thing I would like to start seeing built in Sharpstown in place of the aging mid-cents.

I've always loved both styles and have always thought of prairie as somewhat of a subcategory of arts and crafts. They share a lot of the same basic details but the prairie style has a little more refinement in some areas.

I also find it fascinating how many of those houses were way ahead of their time. Many of the Wright prairie houses built before 1920 have a lot in common with some of what you see in some of what was built in the 1950s and early 1960s. Having toured a couple of pre-1920 Wright houses it's often hard to tell when you're inside the house or standing outside looking at it that it's as old as it really is. Some areas like kitchens will usually give it away, but the original furniture designed for these houses, along with the art glass that was used, goes completely against the prevailing styles of the era in which they were built.

I haven't seen much revival of these styles in Texas, although there are a few examples I mentioned earlier today in another post that are located along N. and S. Braeswood inside the loop. However, a few years ago my aunt and uncle that live half the year in the Seattle area were looking at a new development there that was entirely made up of 1- and 1

ssullivan- did you ever get to tour the wright home here in Houston? I did go by and see it. Looks about what I would expect from the road.

I love the praire style mentioned above. I also love the victorian era Stick Style seen in the NE.

I like both styles, but in the context of an urban environment I prefer the Arts & Crafts. It depends on ornamentation more than size, and those bungalows seem to have a nice scale for relatively dense development. The Prairie Style is more expansive and has a strong horizontal orientation, which seems to require larger or more suburban lots to work to full effect. It was designed to reflect the openness of the prairies.

ssullivan- did you ever get to tour the wright home here in Houston?  I did go by and see it. Looks about what I would expect from the road.

I love the praire style mentioned above. I also love the victorian era Stick Style seen in the NE.

No Lowbrow, I've only seen it from the outside since it's a private home. The only Wright buildings I've been in are public buildings like the Guggenheim in NYC, or houses and other buildings open to the public for tours as historical sites.

My absolute favorites of the buildings I've been in are the Dana-Thomas house in Springfield, IL, and the Price Tower in Bartlesville, OK.

No Lowbrow, I've only seen it from the outside since it's a private home. The only Wright buildings I've been in are public buildings like the Guggenheim in NYC, or houses and other buildings open to the public for tours as historical sites.

My absolute favorites of the buildings I've been in are the Dana-Thomas house in Springfield, IL, and the Price Tower in Bartlesville, OK.

Aye, I had just wondered if ours ever made it onto one of the Architectural Tours. That is kind of a shame that it hasn't. (if it hasnt) Although I'm sure it can be weird having a bunch of strangers walking through your house.

I should show up with my steam cleaner and offer to do their rugs for free. :)

ps. I've seen pics of both those buildings youve seen. I'm red with envy.

pss. I ended up liking the Gaudi buildings in Barcelona a wee bit less that I thought I would... but still a great trip.

Here are some photos from my Treo's camera. Pardon the quality.

GentrysTrio032_06Jan05.jpg

GentrysTrio033_06Jan05.jpg

GentrysTrio035_06Jan05.jpg

GentrysTrio036_06Jan05.jpg

Here is another one being built on the same block, not the same style, but I am gonna guess same architect.

GentrysTrio034_06Jan05.jpg

And one for the "Double-You Tee Eff" files:

GentrysTrio031_06Jan05.jpg

THis is the type of thing I would like to start seeing built in Sharpstown in place of the aging mid-cents.

Those Pseudo-Prairie houses pictured above are WRETCHED.

They are tragic interpretations and disgrage the handsome Prairie period of architecture. The vast expanses of plastic stucco and press-on cement-stone can not begin to recreate this style with any reality. The proportions are all wrong also.

The mid-century houses of Sharpstown, if thoughtfully restored and updated, are the most appropriate dwellings for an area designed at the mid-century. The contemporary style houses are the most appropriate and valuable since they were an appropriate response to the time period in which they were created.

i'm afraid i'm disappointed too. i'm glad the effort is being made to be different than your average red brick or stucco mcmansion, but if your going to do prairie DO PRAIRIE.

thanks for the pictures though.

wow, yall are tough. Considering the venue Im not surprised though. I like them, I think they are gorgeous. They aren't like the houses in Evanston, IL that I love so much, but I appreciate the modern interpretation of them.

As far as materials, means to an end. Seeing them in person they are beautiful, but I would guess you would have to view them with no preconceived notions about their supposed style. Kinda like watching Episode I & II of Star Wars, lol.

I think these homes are merely supposed to be inspired by Prairie style homes, not be spitting images of. In my amateur eye, they look better than any of the modern prairie instances I have seen on the internet. I like the visually complex feel of them.

If you wand horrid, what is with that last house? It looks like a waiting booth for a ride at astro-world.

They're not original but they look great to me. Better than the standard McMansion.

There have been architectural revivals in the past, recently the Craftsman style has been copied a lot so this seems natural.

A whole neighborhood of these would look great, but not if they're knocking down historic original homes.

A whole neighborhood of these would look great, but not if they're knocking down historic original homes.

Well that's what's happening in the Braeswood area. However, a number of the homes that have been torn down for these are houses that were severely damaged by flooding in Allison. In some cases they were damaged beyond feasible repair. Many of the newer houses being built in the area are somewhat elevated; notice the steps going up to the front door. There are others where the elevation is more pronounced than it is in these.

I do like a number of these houses. They aren't authentic prairie style but I don't expect them to be. They're more influenced by that style. I do think it's a nice change from some of what we've been seeing, and I don't think they clash too horribly with many of the neighboring houses.

If you wand horrid, what is with that last house?  It looks like a waiting booth for a ride at astro-world.

Yeah, that last one is weird. It looks like they started out building a Taco Cabana, then changed their minds at the last minute. What's with that roof? That looks more like the ride itself at Astro World, not the booth.

I guess someone thought it looked sharp. Could be an owner-design. Some guy designed his own house in my neighborhood and it really looks totally goofy, not to mention he poured cement all the way up to the foundation, no grass......a real architectural velvet Elvis in our neighborhood.

That house has been like that for a while. Its funny you mention astroworld, I liken it to a waiting area for a ride at astroworld. You guys should see it in person, it is truly comical. It is on Wateka on the east side in between Beechnut and Bissonnett. Cant miss it.

As for the others, I love 1 and 3.

I dont really get the 'dont tear down old homes' thing. So long as we keep shining examples, it isnt necessary to keep all of them. It is the natural progression of things.

I am hoping to buy a house in my neighborhood, remodel it with one of those as inspiration. My neighborhood wouldnt aesthetically allow for a full on prairie.

• The title was changed to Prairie Style - Craftsman Era

Archived