Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired Homes On Braeswood Blvd.

gwilson

Hey guys, hope this is the right forum.

I have been driving to the medical center a lot lately for my dad, and I have noticed a few rather nice houses going up on the inbound side of Braeswood before the Med Center that remind me of F.L. Write designed homes. I am probably grossly misjudging the inspiration, but from the exterior they are nice.

Anyone here involved with those?

Is this the next aesthetic trend here in Houston or is Spanish/Mediteranian going to continue to go strong?

If anyone has pictures, I would be appreciative.

• Like 1

i hope you're right, gwilson. i'm anxious to drive by and see what you've seen.

i think a "neo-prairie" style movement would be refreshing in the builder/developer community. in fact, i think it's way overdue. the increase in available home accessories and fixtures from the craftsman era are an example of the public's increasing interest in this type of design.

I live in the area and there are a couple of new prairie-inspired style homes going up. A couple that have been finished for a few months-a year or two are located near S. Braeswood and Greenwillow, and there are a few under construction or recently completed off N. Braeswood between Brompton and Stella Link. And there are some definite FLW influences on a couple of them.

I live in the area and there are a couple of new prairie-inspired style homes going up. A couple that have been finished for a few months-a year or two are located near S. Braeswood and Greenwillow, and there are a few under construction or recently completed off N. Braeswood between Brompton and Stella Link. And there are some definite FLW influences on a couple of them.

Are the houses on the north side of North Braeswood between Stella Link and Kirby and south of Holcombe/Bellaire? If so, this is a neighborhood that experienced very heavy flooding during Allison. Almost all of the older houses in this street and several blocks north had water in them. Many of the ruined houses have been torn down and replaced by pier-and-beam structures that appear enormous. Some of them do appear in the neo-prairie sytle which I think is appealing in this area. There is much new construction throughout this neighborhood, partly due to the flood and partly due to its close-in location.

No, these are off Beechnut/Braeswood off the bayou.  I can see how these new homes are built to make for better flood protection though.

There are some others off N. Braeswood in the area I mentioned, inside the loop that are very similar in style.

All of the new homes in my section of the Braeswood area are being elevated quite a bit to get them above the Allison flood level.

There are some others off N. Braeswood in the area I mentioned, inside the loop that are very similar in style.

All of the new homes in my section of the Braeswood area are being elevated quite a bit to get them above the Allison flood level.

We're all writing about the same general area, I think. The larger houses seem to be east and west of Buffalo Spwy, north of N. Braeswood (which eventually becomes Beechnut.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired Homes On Braeswood Blvd.