Sugar Land As A Regional Destination City

ChannelTwoNews

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
when i'm asked "what are you doing this weekend?" i would never think to say "i'm going to Sugarland." i guess the phrase destination city means something different to me.

And if you lived anywhere else but Sugar Land, one of its adjoining communities, or in the "country" to the south or southwest - then you probably would never say this. Sugar Land is trying to make itself a self-sustaining community for those I just listed above - and not for Houstonians or anywhere else.

This is why I don't think the stadium will get built here. It wouldn't make sense to the team to select a location not centralized to the city, much less its potential customers. I think they will ultimately choose a location downtown. I still think its noble that SL is at least attempting to raise the bar for itself by throwing its name in the hat for these type of developments.

Everyone look at the thread topic title: Sugar Land As A Regional Destination City Is that not exactly what it is becoming to those who live around it - especially those to the more rural south & southwest? It is truly becoming its own destination, and in my opinion, a great example of what a successful "Edge-City" can be in a southern, automobile driven, sprawled out city like Houston. To all you that live to the north & northeast of Sugar Land - especially those with fragile egos in Houston: stop panicking. Sugar Land is not trying to take away your urbanity. It is simply trying to do for its residents and neighbors what Houston does for you.

And if you lived anywhere else but Sugar Land, one of its adjoining communities, or in the "country" to the south or southwest - then you probably would never say this. Sugar Land is trying to make itself a self-sustaining community for those I just listed above - and not for Houstonians or anywhere else.

Everyone look at the thread topic title: Sugar Land As A Regional Destination City Is that not exactly what it is becoming to those who live around it - especially those to the more rural south & southwest? It is truly becoming its own destination, and in my opinion, a great example of what a successful "Edge-City" can be in a southern, automobile driven, sprawled out city like Houston. To all you that live to the north & northeast of Sugar Land - especially those with fragile egos in Houston: stop panicking. Sugar Land is not trying to take away your urbanity. It is simply trying to do for its residents and neighbors what Houston does for you.

most suburbs (such as sugarland, clear lake, woodlands, kingwood, etc) are self-sustaining. you never have to leave unless you choose to leave. businesses of all types are already there so it isn't necessary to stray far from your home. i personally don't see it any differently than the other big burbs around houston, each is already its own entity. The label "destination city" is a misnomer to me. It almost sounds as if it is attempting to be touristy.

I work out in Clear Lake and it amazes me how many people rarely (even never) leave clear lake. it is a suburban nightmare to me, but I guess it would be a regional destination city too per your definition as would many other suburbs.

which leads us back to why sugarland isn't a destination city for most people.

No it doesn't. Downtown Houston isn't a destination for most people, but it is still very much a regional destination.

most suburbs (such as sugarland, clear lake, woodlands, kingwood, etc) are self-sustaining.

I wouldn't go that far...

No it doesn't. Downtown Houston isn't a destination for most people, but it is still very much a regional destination.

So you bring up an excellent question: What criteria makes an area a region destination? It will certainly vary by region, but what are some constants?

I can't think of any reason I would ever need to visit Sugar Land. Is there something compelling I'm missing? Something I can't find in Houston -- even ITL? Even if I want to go experience unspoilt nature and was going to drive out of my way to go see the Brazos, I don't think SL would be my stop. So it's not a regional city to me. Maybe if you live in Rosenberg it'd be different. :)

I never said houston is a destination. i was speaking about sugarland.

as for the burbs not being self sustaining. for you and i they aren't, however most people are happy living there and really don't venture out to the "big city".

I never said houston is a destination. i was speaking about sugarland.

as for the burbs not being self sustaining. for you and i they aren't, however most people are happy living there and really don't venture out to the "big city".

And based upon the criterion you cited, I named another place that isn't a destination in order to provide a sense of comparison.

The burbs and the city are symboitic; neither is self-sustaining.

And based upon the criterion you cited, I named another place that isn't a destination in order to provide a sense of comparison.

The burbs and the city are symboitic; neither is self-sustaining.

what criteria did i cite specifically?

in general each is independant and while yes there is always symbiotic relationship with nearby communities, in most peoples' day to day lives, this relationship doesn't affect them at all. the SL resident doesn't have to drive to houston to get their cleaning, go out to eat, go to the movies, etc, they can stay in sugarland and get everything they need to live.

You were stuck on this line of reasoning that if you don't use it, then it isn't a destination city.

the way the article reads, mods to the Brazos River Park, the potential Dynamo stadium and creating new districts for business and entertainment with cause sugarland to become a destination city. when i think destination city, i would tend to think that someone would book a flight from another city just to go to sugarland to hang out for the weekend. if you live in a small town sw of Houston then perhaps you would go there for shopping etc out of necessity but i don't see it becoming touristy anytime soon. that is all.

i always thought that the term "destination city" specifically meant tourist destination. i've heard of san antonio described as a destination city. the woodlands wants to be a "destination city" and has created a visitor's and convention bureau. it seems to be the new hot term for areas that want to elevate themselves in significance, much like "town center". i cannot see SL as a tourist destination in its current state.

the way the article reads, mods to the Brazos River Park, the potential Dynamo stadium and creating new districts for business and entertainment with cause sugarland to become a destination city. when i think destination city, i would tend to think that someone would book a flight from another city just to go to sugarland to hang out for the weekend. if you live in a small town sw of Houston then perhaps you would go there for shopping etc out of necessity but i don't see it becoming touristy anytime soon. that is all.

Folks that live south of the Brazos don't have to go to Sugar Land for shopping. They do because there's a better selection, and selection is a luxury sought after in destination cities.

Take McAllen for example: it sucks. But Mexicans still shop there in droves because it is the shopping destination of first resort. It is a sucky destination, but a destination nevertheless.

I can't think of any reason I would ever need to visit Sugar Land. Is there something compelling I'm missing? Something I can't find in Houston -- even ITL? Even if I want to go experience unspoilt nature and was going to drive out of my way to go see the Brazos, I don't think SL would be my stop. So it's not a regional city to me. Maybe if you live in Rosenberg it'd be different. :)

I agree, especially if you already live in Houston. However, if you live outside of Houston, and in this case, beyond Sugar Land, then what SL is doing would directly apply to you. They're not trying to replace anything of Houston that draws people in, but rather establish themselves as an independent destination - in particular to all those who live in unincorporated and unorganized suburban areas around Sugar Land.

Here is are two excerpts from the article itself which further clarify and best explain their collective goal:

Economic development director Joe Esch this week told city council he would like to make the city a "regional draw," with entertainment, education and business opportunities that could distinguish the city from other suburban areas and bring in outside visitors.

However, Esch said he has also developed goals to expand higher educational opportunities, cultural arts centers and possibly a regional employment center that would be a cluster of businesses like the Westchase District in Houston.

Sugar Land is simply trying to establish itself as the new destination versus one more area to pass through before getting to the existing destination (traditionally Houston). So if you're already living in the existing destination (Houston), then ANY edge city attempting to do this would have no bearing on you (be it the Woodlands, Sugar Land, Cinco Ranch, or Clear Lake), unless that new destination offered something your existing destination didn't. Which for a city the size of Houston, is rare.

An MLS soccer stadium however, could change that though.

It already is.

According to the article,...it isn't.

An ambitious plan to make Sugar Land a regional "destination" will be considered in the coming months by business, community and cultural leaders within the rapidly-growing city.

Take McAllen for example: it sucks. But Mexicans still shop there in droves because it is the shopping destination of first resort. It is a sucky destination, but a destination nevertheless.

read the article. then i think we'll be on common ground.

i always thought that the term "destination city" specifically meant tourist destination. i've heard of san antonio described as a destination city. the woodlands wants to be a "destination city" and has created a visitor's and convention bureau. it seems to be the new hot term for areas that want to elevate themselves in significance, much like "town center". i cannot see SL as a tourist destination in its current state.

and neither do its leaders. that is why they are leading the efforts to create one. i agree with you bach

Let's see...

Houston Grand Opera, Alley Theater, Houston Symphony, Houston Ballet, Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, Houston Astros, Houston Comets, Houston Aeros, Houston Rockets, Art Car Parade, Thanksgiving Day Parade, Cinco de Mayo Parade, Freedom over Texas 4th of July Event, Dragon Boat Races, I-Fest, Houston Marathon, NBA All-Star Game, MLB All-Star Game, Main Event for the Super Bowl, Angelika Theater, Verizon Wireless Theater, Quilt Show at the GRB, UH-Downtown, South Texas College of Law, Market Square, Light Rail, Central Library, concerts from artists like The Police, Fleetwood Mac, Keith Urban, Justin Timberlake, Jimmy Buffet, Chayanne, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eric Clapton, and more, fine dining (Artista, Vic and Anthony's, Mia Bella...), boutique and upscale hotels (Icon, Four Seasons, Magnolia, Alden...), the Aquarium, Bayou Place, and more to come (Houston Pavilions and Discover Green).

vs.

A Marriott Hotel, The Candle House, Ann Taylor Loft, New Balance, Sharper Image, Perry's Steak House, The Burning Pear, Ben + Jerry's, Chipotle, and Baker Street Pub.

I think I will stick with downtown Houston.

I think we are forgetting that people from other cities consider Houston as everything that makes up Houston. That is Sugar Land, The Woodlands, Downtown, The Galleria, Clearlake, etc. We have to work together to bring tourism to Houston because it has several places to visit and see.

SL is no different from any other suburb whether it be The Woodlands or Webster. They are areas/cities that exist because of Houston. So let's just celebrate those that choose to live there daily pump $$ into the CoH's coffers. I'm thankful to take their contributions to build new sidewalks, reconsturct streets, built new water lines and construct new sewage lift stations in Sunset Heights and beyond.

SL is no different from any other suburb whether it be The Woodlands or Webster. They are areas/cities that exist because of Houston. So let's just celebrate those that choose to live there daily pump $$ into the CoH's coffers. I'm thankful to take their contributions to build new sidewalks, reconsturct streets, built new water lines and construct new sewage lift stations in Sunset Heights and beyond.

:D

According to the article,...it isn't.

As you and other HAIFers may have figured out by now, I don't play by the definitions offered by newspaper reporters for soft and fuzzy concepts being thrown around by local politicians.

My condo complex is a regional destination because as many people go there as leave on any given day, and those people come from all over the region. The only variable unmentioned is the magnitude of the destination. My complex is quite small. Sugar Land is large. The City of Houston is extremely large.

As you and other HAIFers may have figured out by now, I don't play by the definitions offered by newspaper reporters for soft and fuzzy concepts being thrown around by local politicians.

My condo complex is a regional destination because as many people go there as leave on any given day, and those people come from all over the region. The only variable unmentioned is the magnitude of the destination. My complex is quite small. Sugar Land is large. The City of Houston is extremely large.

again, if you read the article, it was referencing destinations with respect to tourists/visitors. i'm just trying to stay on topic. my next regional destination with be the restroom. ;)

I disagree, Sugar Land has been around for over 100 years. If Houston was never here, Sugar Land still would be. It might look different, hell if might have millions of people, but it would be a self-sustained city. That's how SL is different than The Woodlands, Kingwood, and the Great Northwest.

Archived