Houston First's

Gary

A good friend of mine is starting a cable access show (Houston media source), and is in the beginning stages of compiling "Houston first's". In other words, he's looking for historical facts regarding Houston inovations and important happenings such as, the Astrodome (first domed stadium), First word on the moon (Houston), NFL collective bargaining aggreement (Luv Ya Blue), largest med center in the world, etc. Pretty much anything that makes Houston great.

It's a big spectrum of information I know, but we would really appreciate anyones help in this. Of course HAIF and each individual will recieve credits on the show.

Thanks.

Houston is the largest city in Texas.

The Port of Houston is the busiest port in the U.S. in terms of foreign tonnage.

The first heart transplant in the U.S. was performed in Houston.

Houston has the largest Nigerian population in the U.S.

I think Houston has the largest "medical center" in the world, though I'm not sure how that's defined/measured. [Oops - see you had that one already.]

Houston was the first city to be graced with my presence upon graduating high school and winning my freedom. You all gotta be proud of that! ^_^

Like a proud Papa. :rolleyes: Niche, I know you've got something to add here, so bring it on.

Among the first (perhaps second?) to have electric street lighting, in 1882 - only a few months after Edison lighted part of NYC. At least that's what they told us when I worked for HL&P.

I remember reading in the Marmac guide to Houston, in the 80s, that Houston had more railroad grade crossings than any other city in the world except Bonn, Germany. And this was way before light rail!

marmer

How could I forget! Houston was the first major city to start the Head Start Program for children around 1965. This could go under the education section?

I still have a certificate from Kashmere Gardens Elementary 1966. Too little to see The Beatles that year but oh well...

See link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_Start

As an addition: Pertaining more towards womens lib era in Houston 1973, there was the infamous:

Battle of the Sexes between Billy Jean King & Bobby Riggs. Man, it sure was a big deal that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_Start

Here are some firsts from the University of Houston...

1) UH ranks as the nation's most diverse research institution. The student breakdown is 39.5% white, 18.7% Asian/Pacific Islander, 18.1% Hispanic, 13.0% African-American, 8.1% International, 0.4% Native American/Eskimo and the rest unknown.

2) KUHT-PBS Houston was the nation's first public educational television station.

3) Arte Publico Press is the largest publisher of contemporary and recovered literature by U.S. Hispanic authors. Arte Publico also produces children's literature under a division called Pinata Books.

4) On January 20, 1968, #2 Houston upset #1 UCLA 71-69. The game was played in the Astrodome infront of 52,693 fans (largest regular season attendance for basketball) and infront of a national tv audience (the FIRST regular season game to be nationally televised and the game credited for making college basketball into the giant that it is today).

Rice University firsts...

1) In 1963, Rice opened the nation's first space science department

Port of Houston firsts...

1) First direct shipment of cotton to Europe in Nov. 1919

2) ranks #1 in foreign tonnage

others...

Houston Comets win the first WNBA title

The first ever nationwide regualr season NCAA basketball game was played in the Astrodome in 1968.

#1 UCLA vs. #2 Houston - The Big E vs. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

It was also the largest crowd to have ever seen a college basketball game at 52,629.

Man, I was typing about the game of the century the same time you were, Kinkaid.

The first ever nationwide regualr season NCAA basketball game was played in the Astrodome in 1968.

reminding me of the bobby riggs/billie jean king tennis match. most ever in attendance for a tennis match and i believe also most watched tennis event on the tele.

Rice University firsts...

1) In 1963, Rice opened the nation's first space science department

Of arguably greater significance is the discovery of the fullerenes at Rice in 1985, a milestone that ultimately led to the awarding of the 1996 Nobel Prize in Chemistry to Rice professors Richard Smalley and Robert Curl and University of Sussex professor Sir Harold Kroto.

Fullerene (Wikipedia)

Archived