Central Bank Buildings

jdbaker

I was wondering if something was happening to that Days Inn building because they have boarded up alot of the windows. I guess that is a product of compliance with the building code.

I really don't understand the cities take on these building. When pressed on the issue, the mayor's office insists that these building are structurally sound, and thus nothing can be done. Yet, everyday I drive by the old Savoy (the 1910 portion) and see daylight shining through as a result of a collapsed roof. Further, the cracks in the upper portions of the outer walls continue to widen. I'm no engineer, but to me it seems painfully obvious that at least one of these building is no longer structurally sound.

I would absolutely love for something to be done with this structure. However, I'm not awaiting any modifications with baited breath. This case is a prime example that the city should be doing to constructively encourage development that spurs further thoughtful development. (Tax breaks and insightful planning anyone?)

How many years has this property been vacant? Obviously, Houston had to bounce back from the mid 80s slump, but prime real estate (?) shouldn't sit unimproved for this long. Let's hope that this thing turns around! And then for God's sake please someone redevelop the old Holiday Inn site. That's a damn shame in a nutshell. I betcha' if that property were in Dallas or Atlanta a developer would've already done something cool with it... No kidding. WAKE UP HOUSTON!!!!

I was quite disappointed in the report as well.

To me, all it really did was point out the abandoned buildings (which if you lived/worked anywhere close to downtown you knew about) and provided little other information.

Then again, I think that was pretty much the entire point of the report: "See? we have buildings here. They're still here. They might be here for the foreseeable future."

• 5 months later...

looks like it is probably related to this "building addition/remodel" permit for the newer, smaller bank building:

Project No:

Date:

9/27/2007

USE:

BUILD. ADD./REM. 1-1-5-B-B BANK 2003 IBC

Owner / Occupant:

CENTRAL BANK

Job Address:

2217 MILAM ST

Buyer:

O'DONNELL/SNIDER CONSTRUCTION

Address:

1900 WEST LOOP SOUTH 350 77027

Phone:

• 7 months later...

I didn't know if this fit in any other Central Bank threads, so I started this one. Please move if its more applicable as part of another thread.

To the point--I saw several cars (around a dozen or so) parked on the grounds of the building as well as inside the parking garage this afternoon. A few people were talking and milling about on the outside. Also, there were 2 port-a-pottys and one of those large, red construction dumpsters inside the parking garage.

Could something finally be in the works for this place? Any info?

This is on the grounds of the abandoned building, not the bank branch that's almost done with the remodeling across the street.

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday as well. The guys hanging out didn't look like your typical construction worker. They seemed more like engineers. I'll see if anything else is going on today when I drive by.

Sorry folks, it was a police &/or military operation (which I've seen before & the niche can verify).

edit: I drove by yesterday and saw uniformed soldiers in the loading bay/parking garage area w/ plain clothed guys hanging out about their trucks outside.

Sorry folks, it was a police &/or military operation (which I've seen before & the niche can verify).

edit: I drove by yesterday and saw uniformed soldiers in the loading bay/parking garage area w/ plain clothed guys hanging out about their trucks outside.

Yep, the broker has told me that they've used this place for SWAT training going back several years.

• 5 months later...
I didn't know if this fit in any other Central Bank threads, so I started this one. Please move if its more applicable as part of another thread.

To the point--I saw several cars (around a dozen or so) parked on the grounds of the building as well as inside the parking garage this afternoon. A few people were talking and milling about on the outside. Also, there were 2 port-a-pottys and one of those large, red construction dumpsters inside the parking garage.

Could something finally be in the works for this place? Any info?

This is on the grounds of the abandoned building, not the bank branch that's almost done with the remodeling across the street.

saw a few men in hard hats outside the Central Bank building on Friday...is something in the works?

• The title was changed to Old Central Bank Activity
  • The title was changed to Central Bank Buildings

Archived