Live at 5 30 years old

texianjoe

Wow, I just got done viewing the first Live at Five. It's pretty amazing to see how things have changed drastically. Bob Allen looks way different and so did Ed Brandon. What happened to Jan Carson, she seemed to be what is now a Gina Gaston. The set was cool back then also. I did'nt know they had the capability to make the background change in 1977. ABC 13 should show more footage like this.

Wow, I just got done viewing the first Live at Five. It's pretty amazing to see how things have changed drastically. Bob Allen looks way different and so did Ed Brandon. What happened to Jan Carson, she seemed to be what is now a Gina Gaston. The set was cool back then also. I did'nt know they had the capability to make the background change in 1977. ABC 13 should show more footage like this.

you probably looked way different 30 yrs ago too. ;) i know i do.

gina gaston is no jan carson.

chroma key blue technology has been used for quite some time now.

• This was downtown, and Jan Carson was like that is a nice shot. There is like 6 buildings.
    434tzit.jpg
  • Ed Brandon has hair.
  • The reporters are working for their 6 o'clock reports at their desk still, and you can here the typewriters in the background.
  • The use of the blue screen for overlays
  • And Fred Hofheinz, Roy's son, was mayor.
  • They call the entertainment report at look at the "world of the beautiful people". I guess no ugly people existed in the entertainment world back then.
  • The dirty dog commercial . . . adults talking in dog costumes, really now . . .
  • Dynamo laundry, cost less than powders, no kidding!
    Recommended by women who used to use powders
    . . . I guess men never did laundry back then, lucky them!
  • Charlie Chaplin was still alive :o
  • Construction progress at the Galleria!
    2cmlno0.jpg33vgu2f.jpg
  • Marvin almost looked the same.
    43mv8rq.jpg
  • The Million Dollar movie, I rememeber that from the 80's still.
  • The "official" Nazi photographer
  • Ed did not even do the weather, he talked about demographics with dirty air and cancer.
  • Watch the very end, the tape rewinds and fastforwards

musicman:

no home computers.

That's funny because before the video begins, there's a commercial for AC Collins Ford and I wasn't paying attention to it, I was looking at another screen listening to it while waiting for the video to start and I thought it was an original commercial airing before the broadcast. They start talking about dropping your cell phone while driving and it took a couple of seconds for it to register with me that it wasn't part of the original broadcast.

Thinking about the theme music again, it actually sounds like "The Lawrence Welk Show" trying to be hip in the '70s during the height of disco. It's very Lawrence Welk simply with a disco beat.

What a fascinating time capsule! I do hope that Channel 13 shows more vintage video on their web site. I wish that 2 and 11 cared half as much about their past as 13 does. Maybe next year they'll show the first Eyewitness News broadcast from 1973.

Ruminations:

-This and the Ed Brandon Hurricane Alicia clip reminded me of 13's tendency to tilt their logo at times. (Look at the backgrounds.) I also remember the tilted 13 in a promo and on their helicopter. Anybody have any idea why?

-Why is it that blue-screen technology is in use, but Ed is still drawing on the weather map?

-Disco music on a news broadcast! I love it.

-I remember Lorne Greene doing Alpo ads and the giant in the Brawny ads, but it's been a very long time.

-United Jewelers, Woolco and Sage Drugs-retailers lost to history. I remember United's "U" on their storefronts and my parents buying me Duplos at Sage when I was 2. However, I have no memory of Woolco. My parents went discount-store shopping at K-Mart.

What a fascinating time capsule! I do hope that Channel 13 shows more vintage video on their web site. I wish that 2 and 11 cared half as much about their past as 13 does. Maybe next year they'll show the first Eyewitness News broadcast from 1973.

Ruminations:

-This and the Ed Brandon Hurricane Alicia clip reminded me of 13's tendency to tilt their logo at times. (Look at the backgrounds.) I also remember the tilted 13 in a promo and on their helicopter. Anybody have any idea why?

I think that was done to differentiate the news department and their reporters and talent in the field from the rest of the station's programming. Just my guess anyway. By the mid 80's the logo had been 'straightened' for all programming.

-Why is it that blue-screen technology is in use, but Ed is still drawing on the weather map?

Good question. Maybe it had something to do with the availability (or lack therof) of satellite photos, filmed radar loops & such. By the early-to-mid 80's it was worked into their "Virtual set" which still stands out as just about the best I've seen anywhere from that period.

I have part of a 1979 newscast from KTRK around here somewhere... Maybe there is a difference over just a few years presentation-wise? I'll check it.

I think it's awesome to see something like this so well preserved and archived myself. KPRC, I think has a similarly well archived selection... they just don't share it with viewers as often and as openly as 13 has. At the very least, I recall reading they had at least 500 episodes of "The Eyes of Texas" stored away in addition to their newscasts. All about sharing, I think. B)

That would be nice. I distinctly remember one year, right after the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, KPRC ran a documentary about the station's history. I think it was to mark the station's 40th anniversary, but I could be wrong.

The thing I find interesting in the video is the attention they gave to city government. I don't think I see those kinds of stories leading off their newscasts these days.

That would be nice. I distinctly remember one year, right after the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve, KPRC ran a documentary about the station's history. I think it was to mark the station's 40th anniversary, but I could be wrong.

The thing I find interesting in the video is the attention they gave to city government. I don't think I see those kinds of stories leading off their newscasts these days.

They might if any of the stations were actually near city hall. The closest is KHOU, and it seems to cover more politics than the others. All the others are heavy into shootings and traffic, which is what their people are exposed to working along the Southwest Freeway (KPRC, KTRK, KRIV, KHCW).

They might if any of the stations were actually near city hall. The closest is KHOU, and it seems to cover more politics than the others. All the others are heavy into shootings and traffic, which is what their people are exposed to working along the Southwest Freeway (KPRC, KTRK, KRIV, KHCW).

i was talking to a councilmember last month about this subj. she said that in the past, they could put out media alerts and all the press would come. now no press responds. press wants to cover the more sensational stories. during yesterday nasa action, i thought some of len cannon's comments from KHOU made him sound amateurish. just no knowledge of houston.

i was talking to a councilmember last month about this subj. she said that in the past, they could put out media alerts and all the press would come. now no press responds.

Often this is because when the media wants to talk to a politician about an important story they run away, don't answer the phone or just yell "no comment." Then they get all bent out of shape when the TV cameras don't come running when they're fixing fences in their wards.

press wants to cover the more sensational stories.

More accurately, their consultants convince them it is necessary in order to retain and gain viewers. Unfortunately, it's true more than it is false. Here's a good example... Which newsroom in Houston is most independent, most thoughtful, and least likely to do flash-and-trash stories? 39. When was the last time you watched 39's news?

I e-mailed channel 13 and thanked them for the clip. I also asked them to bring back the theme music. Do you think they will?

I seem hung up on that theme music, I know. It's just that it seems so reflective of those times: happy and not a care in the world. There's always been bad, but it's incomparable to now.

Which newsroom in Houston is most independent, most thoughtful, and least likely to do flash-and-trash stories? 39. When was the last time you watched 39's news?

watching right now. reggie aqui just did a story for them

I'm only through the first third of the video but am amazed at how high-brow it started off as! They even used the phrase "trial balloons," which I haven't heard on television in ages. Lots of details, good research and coverage, etc.

The graphics look crummy, but for that time, I'm sure that they were respectable. I frankly prefer the simple clean look to the flashyness of today.

And when they were talking about celebs in the "Personal" segment, they started off talking about Henry Kissinger and Lloyd Benson, then gave Farrah last billing! Since when does the well-endowed blonde get put at the tail end of a newscast!?

• 4 weeks later...
I'm only through the first third of the video but am amazed at how high-brow it started off as! They even used the phrase "trial balloons," which I haven't heard on television in ages. Lots of details, good research and coverage, etc.

The graphics look crummy, but for that time, I'm sure that they were respectable. I frankly prefer the simple clean look to the flashyness of today.

And when they were talking about celebs in the "Personal" segment, they started off talking about Henry Kissinger and Lloyd Benson, then gave Farrah last billing! Since when does the well-endowed blonde get put at the tail end of a newscast!?

right where she belonged, I 'd say

• 2 weeks later...
I seem hung up on that theme music, I know. It's just that it seems so reflective of those times: happy and not a care in the world. There's always been bad, but it's incomparable to now.

I asked a friend of mine to track down the music from the collection of old reel-to-reels he has, so I figure that I'd share for yall to download if you wish. :)

The first is the one used for the open to the newscast. Very 70's & 2 minutes to boot.

The second is another variation of the song, but some bumpers and the close was pulled from this version.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On Thursday, April 19, 2007 at 0:33 PM, sevfiv said:

oh my - the hair, the theme song!!!

and what's with the name flashing beneath Dave Ward?

13_77.jpg

edit - it was a mistake - Dan Rosen is a reporter...oops!

Anyone have the full video of this newscast ?

Archived