Uptown Residential Cube Tower

WesternGulf

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's planned to go up at 524 Westheimer. That's the southside of the street near the intersection of Whitney. Pre-sales will be starting shortly. I've heard they expect some neighborhood reservations about the height (24 floors overlooking Cortlandt Place) but that the developer says he is committed to the project and will just move locations if this one doesn't work out.

Frankly, I hope it works. It's been awhile since a Houston project has pushed the limits and this one will certainly get people to react. I like buildings that make people think about architecture and how it truly does affect daily life in the city. Let the discourse begin!

It's planned to go up at 524 Westheimer. That's the southside of the street near the intersection of Whitney.

According to HCAD, 524 Westheimer is on the North side of the street and closer to Stanford.

The owner of 524, also owns the two adjacent properties, 520 and 528 Westheimer.

Also as a sidenote.. the new shapes / lines function on Gmaps is cool, but pretty useless if when linking to the map, it doesn't maintain the created shape.

524Westhimer.jpg

Frankly, I hope it works. It's been awhile since a Houston project has pushed the limits and this one will certainly get people to react. I like buildings that make people think about architecture and how it truly does affect daily life in the city. Let the discourse begin!

Great news and well said.

I really like this tower. Although, it does seem like an odd location. It will be totally unique in it's surroundings. I expect some of the neighbors will pitch a fit as usual. But maybe not - at least it's going in the most liberal, and open minded neighborhood in Houston. Where the untraditional have a little more freedom to stick out.

I hope it brings some friends.

Bummer. I was hoping it was the Southside of the street and I was really hoping it would replace that god-awful strip center that went up over the last few years. That surface parking lot is a definite eyesore and totally breaks the streetscape.

I too like that it is so close to midtown/downtown. I'd prefer it if it were close to midtown (maybe on Elgin) but I wont complain too much. It beats trying to put it on a side street somewhere (like the Robinhood).

it looks early in stages if that. I would hope they add some balconies. Also some green space would be nice, the building in dubai did a pretty cool job with the green space.

I personally like the building as-is, but then that's only because I only have to drive by it, not live in it. If I lived there, I'd want one or more balconies. Although it'd ruin a lot of the aesthetic considerations, most buyers at this price point are really less concerned with outward appearance than interior comfort, so they might run into a wall with that issue.

Yeah I don't see any room for balconies in this design - it's supposed to be a clean, geometric sort of design. But maybe there could be a rooftop garden or something, like you see in places like NYC? That would be cool! Although it would probably would not be big enough for everybody.

Just out of curiosity - how many residential buildings in Houston lack balconies?

Yeah I don't see any room for balconies in this design - it's supposed to be a clean, geometric sort of design. But maybe there could be a rooftop garden or something, like you see in places like NYC? That would be cool! Although it would probably would not be big enough for everybody.

Just out of curiosity - how many residential buildings in Houston lack balconies?

The Beaconsfield doesn't have balconies, but makes up for it with large windows that open on three sides. Like the other poster said, a significant number of downtown lofts do not have balconies.

Balconies would just ____ up the whole look of the building.

I'm not saying that this building should have balconies, it would take away from the design. However, if I were in the market for a high rise condo, I wouldn't buy a unit without a balcony. That's one of the biggest reasons to be in a high rise, to walk out on the balcony and have a view.

I think this design should be for a commercial building, not residential.

I'm not saying that this building should have balconies, it would take away from the design. However, if I were in the market for a high rise condo, I wouldn't buy a unit without a balcony. That's one of the biggest reasons to be in a high rise, to walk out on the balcony and have a view.

I think this design should be for a commercial building, not residential.

Have you ever lived in building with a balcony? They're very overrated. Balconies offer zero privacy and they obstruct your view, which is the real reason to live in a highrise. If you want fresh air open a window or go for a walk.

Have you ever lived in building with a balcony? They're very overrated. Balconies offer zero privacy and they obstruct your view, which is the real reason to live in a highrise. If you want fresh air open a window or go for a walk.

I live in a building with balconies. Most buildings do not have continuous balconies, therefore, in most buildings the balcony obstructs only some views, and well designed balconies are not an obstruction IMHO. Opening windows for fresh air is a bad idea in most hi-rise buildings -- interferes with pressurization and HVAC balances in the building. I won't go into details, but I enjoy entertaining and certain pleasures on my balcony that are not an option on a walk. :wub:

That things looks just as horrid as that Dubai tower.

I have to agree. However, I personally doubt that this is the final design for the tower. And even if it is the final design, it's better to get something than nothing at all. ;)

Archived