Four Leaf Towers

The Warwick

1400 Hermann

The Park Lane

The Spires

Museum Tower

Seven Riverway

Lofts on Post Oak

Museum Tower has lots of balconies, as will the new Park One tower. Finger knows how to sell high-end product. 7 Riverway, The Spires, and others have adequate numbers of balconies, too, but they are tastefully integrated into the design. And that's really the critical thing, here, is that they can have them but not ruin the design. You cited the Parklane as having "few or no balconies," but it probably has one of the highest ratios of balcony footage per floor perimeter footage of any highrise in town! They're just designed well.

09.jpg

012.jpg

floor_elevation.jpg

floor_4.gif

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you ever lived in building with a balcony? They're very overrated.

I've lived in high-rises both with and without balconies anywhere from the 21st to the 50th floors. I prefer a balcony, but don't find that not having one makes enough of a difference to choose one place over another. The only thing I've ever used a balcony for is growing plants.

Still, this argument makes no sense.

Balconies offer zero privacy

Since when is a balcony's purpose to protect your privacy? That's what walls are for. Right now I'm looking out my living room window at the building next door, and the apartments without balconies I can see right into. The ones with balconies (even though they have glass railings) are at least somewhat obscured because people have plants and barbecues and tables and chairs on them.

and they obstruct your view, which is the real reason to live in a highrise.

If I stand right against my windows (floor-to-ceiling windows) I can see about 120 degrees left and right, up and down. If I had a balcony I could lean over and see 180 degrees or more. How does a balcony restrict the view?

If you want fresh air open a window or go for a walk.

Rain. Heat. Cold. Wind. Fatigue. There are lots of reasons to use a balcony instead of walking. Why do you think people sit on their porches? It's the same thing. People like to survey the world around them from the comfort of their own domain. If you told someone sitting on a porch that they're better off going for a walk, they'll look at you like you're crazy.

There are a lot of reasons to dislike balconies, but yours don't make any sense.

If I stand right against my windows (floor-to-ceiling windows) I can see about 120 degrees left and right, up and down. If I had a balcony I could lean over and see 180 degrees or more. How does a balcony restrict the view?

In all fairness, balconies do tend to disrupt the view, but only from the interior. And since that is where high-rise residents tend to spend the bulk of their time, that can make a difference.

Places with few or no balconies;

Four Leaf Towers

The Warwick

1400 Hermann

The Park Lane

The Spires

Museum Tower

Seven Riverway

Lofts on Post Oak

Your list needs some major editing. Every unit in The Park Lane has a balcony. I think the same is true for The Spires. Seven Riverway appears to have a lot of balconies and I think The Warwick does as well. Same goes for Lofts on Post Oak. As Niche also mentioned, Museum Tower has balconies all over the place.

Your list needs some major editing. Every unit in The Park Lane has a balcony. I think the same is true for The Spires. Seven Riverway appears to have a lot of balconies and I think The Warwick does as well. Same goes for Lofts on Post Oak. As Niche also mentioned, Museum Tower has balconies all over the place.

As I've said previously, balconies are relevant to the tenants. I have a couple of older friends that live in Four Leaf. They moved there for the amenities and the views-not because they did or didn't have balconys. Conversly, I have younger friends who live in Park IV who initially loved their 10th floor east facing balconies. One of them does and the other would rather have the additional square footage rather than a balcony. There's a mix of potential buyers and there is no reason why buildings with no balconies trump those with balconies. Should Westheimer Tower without balconies be succesfull-great.

However, if you look at the elevations, there is any number of possible balconies at the offsets. I'd just love to see something like this to go up so I'd have a full service place to retire to.

B)

• 1 month later...

Having never lived in anything over 5 storeys; those who know, how is it on a balcony in a say,

15-50 storey highrise? I would LOVE to be able to sit outside on pleasant days, sipping some libation and just watching the world from a bird's eye view. Sounds wonderful. BUT, does it get too windy to do this after around the 20 storey mark?

I am curious, because when i move back to Houston i want to either live DT or UT in a highrise, but want the ups and downs of it before i do. Make sense? I need all the honest input i can get.

Thanks,

m. B)

Having never lived in anything over 5 storeys; those who know, how is it on a balcony in a say,

15-50 storey highrise? I would LOVE to be able to sit outside on pleasant days, sipping some libation and just watching the world from a bird's eye view. Sounds wonderful. BUT, does it get too windy to do this after around the 20 storey mark?

I am curious, because when i move back to Houston i want to either live DT or UT in a highrise, but want the ups and downs of it before i do. Make sense? I need all the honest input i can get.

Thanks,

m. B)

I haven't spent a lot of time on highrise balconies, but I've experienced balconies at about 8 stories and on the 33rd-story penthouse at 1200 Post Oak, as well as the from the 40th-floor 'hat' of 1500 Louisiana (the newer Enron building), and the roof of Central Bank. Most experiences were surprisingly serene. Traffic noise dissipates once you're far enough up there and smaller buildings and single-family homes just look almost like toys.

Although it is exceptionally hard to justify the expense, I do wish I could live in one. ...I might just have to come up with my own creative solution to make it happen, though. No further comment. ;):ph34r:

I have a balcony on the 3rd floor - not very high but very different from my last apartment which was a ground level garage apartment. The biggest difference I notice is there are NO MOSQUITOS up here and at my old place, I'd get bitten every time I opened the door from April until until December!!! Maybe that was because my landlords had a poorly landscaped yard with lots of puddles and standing water, or because there were more trees, but whatever the reason, a 3rd floor balcony is way better than a small 1st floor yard. There is also a very slight breeze up here, as compared to ground level. I could only imagine a higher balcony would have less mosquito problems and a better breeze, definitely good things.

:D thanks TheNiche. Boy you have been around. I would LOVE to go to the top of the former Enron Tower II. How were you able to do that? Is there an observation deck for the pubic, or do you have connections?

Anyway, thanks for the info. By the way, your last part was very............clandestine. ;)

m.

I have a balcony on the 3rd floor - not very high but very different from my last apartment which was a ground level garage apartment. The biggest difference I notice is there are NO MOSQUITOS up here and at my old place, I'd get bitten every time I opened the door from April until until December!!! Maybe that was because my landlords had a poorly landscaped yard with lots of puddles and standing water, or because there were more trees, but whatever the reason, a 3rd floor balcony is way better than a small 1st floor yard. There is also a very slight breeze up here, as compared to ground level. I could only imagine a higher balcony would have less mosquito problems and a better breeze, definitely good things.

You are right Jax, the higher up the apartment, the fewer mosquitos and above the 5th floor, NO MOSQUITOS! Something to market I think. BTW, I reviewed your flickr photos, the very best ever, you are such a pro.

:D thanks TheNiche. Boy you have been around. I would LOVE to go to the top of the former Enron Tower II. How were you able to do that? Is there an observation deck for the pubic, or do you have connections?

I'm in the industry. To my knowledge, there is no observation deck planned for 1500 Louisiana. You'd have to talk to Chevron about that.

I think you made a mistake, Editor. On the upcoming Houston projects you list Houston Cent re is under construction.

Houston City Centre is U/C at the old Town & Country site. Camden's City Center apartment project is also U/C.

The one on Main Street hasn't even gone public yet with its plans.

No No No. Hold up!!!

Let's get back on the subject regarging the comment Ricco made. I want some answers.

Ricco, what do you mean it IS under construction

Edit: Nevermind, Niche answered the question in the above post. I let my excitement get away because i only had the proposed one downtown in mind. My bad.

Although they have their obvious differences, the first thing that came to my mind was Calatrava's 80 South Street proposal for Lower Manhattan.

It reminded me of 80 South Street too.

I'm shocked that so many people here do not like this building and are bashing it!?! Architecture should be progressive, it should represent ideas and forward thinking. The Riparian and 2727 Kirby are nice, I do like them, but this building just makes a great statement. It's all a matter of taste. Most people love buildings like Montebello in Uptown, but I'm not fond of it.

The response that I am seeing in this project reminds me of The Richard Meier towers in the West Village of Manhattan. When it was being built, it was quite controversial. Now, people are starting similar projects all over Manhattan by the finest architects (I'm crazy about 40 Mercer by Jean Nouvel.) This building, if completed, could represent a major shift in what will come in this city that I, for one, would love to see. On the other hand, the response could be hated like that of Tremont Tower, though Tremont really is ugly.

Allen Bianchi has some really good work. I hope this project will be built, and if the prices aren't insane, I'll buy one. I like it that much.

It reminded me of 80 South Street too.

I'm shocked that so many people here do not like this building and are bashing it!?! Architecture should be progressive, it should represent ideas and forward thinking. The Riparian and 2727 Kirby are nice, I do like them, but this building just makes a great statement. It's all a matter of taste. Most people love buildings like Montebello in Uptown, but I'm not fond of it.

The response that I am seeing in this project reminds me of The Richard Meier towers in the West Village of Manhattan. When it was being built, it was quite controversial. Now, people are starting similar projects all over Manhattan by the finest architects (I'm crazy about 40 Mercer by Jean Nouvel.) This building, if completed, could represent a major shift in what will come in this city that I, for one, would love to see. On the other hand, the response could be hated like that of Tremont Tower, though Tremont really is ugly.

Allen Bianchi has some really good work. I hope this project will be built, and if the prices aren't insane, I'll buy one. I like it that much.

Who's bashing it? It seems that a lot of us really like the aesthetic. But the truth is that highrises aren't built so that passers-by can oogle them, only so that units can sell. And in Houston, which does not have a mature highrise market on account of other housing options being so affordable, developers have to be generalists when it comes to design; they must appeal to the broadest market possible because that market is so small. Designs that are too avant garde carry a high risk because a large segment of the market just won't 'get it' and even those prospective buyers that do 'get it' will still weigh their options with competing buildings (such as those that have balconies).

I'm just saying that it is riskier from a financial and marketing perspective. That's all.

Who's bashing it? It seems that a lot of us really like the aesthetic. But the truth is that highrises aren't built so that passers-by can oogle them, only so that units can sell. And in Houston, which does not have a mature highrise market on account of other housing options being so affordable, developers have to be generalists when it comes to design; they must appeal to the broadest market possible because that market is so small. Designs that are too avant garde carry a high risk because a large segment of the market just won't 'get it' and even those prospective buyers that do 'get it' will still weigh their options with competing buildings (such as those that have balconies).

I'm just saying that it is riskier from a financial and marketing perspective. That's all.

A couple of people did bash it. "Horrid" was the word used. Horrid seems like an emotional word, hence my calling it bashing.

I completely agree that developers ultimately want a building to sell more than they want it to be beautiful. You are right. But the reality is that the exterior of a huge building in a neighborhood ultimately impacts those neighbors and passers-by and effects more people than the amount that inhabit it. Because of this, it thrills me that developers and architects in Houston are starting to consider the impact of design and how successful it has been in other large cities. I do agree with you that designs that are too avant garde risk success in sales, but sometimes all it takes is one or two examples of success and others will follow. Randall Davis decided to convert old warehouses into moderately expensive apartments, sometimes only containg one room and a bathroom. This was hardly normal in Houston, but now it is. You can get a loft (such a loosely used term now) in nearly any part of the Houston, and they get a premium over standard condos and apartments.

A couple of people did bash it. "Horrid" was the word used. Horrid seems like an emotional word, hence my calling it bashing.

That's true, but I bet for every one person that doesn't like this building there are 10 who do like it. I think it's awesome, but it probably would work better as an office building. I would want a balcony if I were going to live in a highrise.

I completely agree that developers ultimately want a building to sell more than they want it to be beautiful. You are right. But the reality is that the exterior of a huge building in a neighborhood ultimately impacts those neighbors and passers-by and effects more people than the amount that inhabit it. Because of this, it thrills me that developers and architects in Houston are starting to consider the impact of design and how successful it has been in other large cities. I do agree with you that designs that are too avant garde risk success in sales, but sometimes all it takes is one or two examples of success and others will follow. Randall Davis decided to convert old warehouses into moderately expensive apartments, sometimes only containg one room and a bathroom. This was hardly normal in Houston, but now it is. You can get a loft (such a loosely used term now) in nearly any part of the Houston, and they get a premium over standard condos and apartments.

Some developers are flippers. That's great as far as it goes. Some want lasting beauty, economy and utility-which ultimatly reaps greater rewards. Some love One Houston Center for it's bulk and mass. It's long term return has been less than Two Houston because more companies prefer the quality and utility of Two with it's elegant entrance, quality use of materials in it's public spaces and span as opposed to One's street level some-times revolving doors. That's a great side-by-side comparison. Some are driven to excellence. They know the long term benefits. Others settle for the mundane and reap the rewards of their low expectations. It's really no different than residential real estate: If you offer a quality property you get quality buyers/renters. If you offer up crap then you get crap and who wants to visit crap?

That's true, but I bet for every one person that doesn't like this building there are 10 who do like it. I think it's awesome, but it probably would work better as an office building. I would want a balcony if I were going to live in a highrise.

Hopefully 9 out of 10 would like it. The scheme is so preliminary that it is possible that there could be balconies, but they may compromise the composition. One of my favorite residential hi rises has electrically sliding glass panels built into the walls so that the room may act as a balcony. But it costs a pretty penny for that feature. I'd prefer some balconies as well, but I guess some of the other hi rises around town without them have been successful. As for the office vs. residential, if it is built in the proposed area, I'd love to see this building be mixed use. Maybe the first couple of floors could be galleries, restaurants, shops, or offices.

Anyone have any other info on this potential project? The only info I can find is on the link:

westheimeruo0.png

Looks kinda like those new hideous aluminum sided 'lofts' that are sprouting up all over Houston.

Houston City Centre is U/C at the old Town & Country site. Camden's City Center apartment project is also U/C.

The one on Main Street hasn't even gone public yet with its plans.

Off topic, but I didn't find out until recently that Camden is a Houston based, publicly traded company.

I posted the same comments in another thread, but I would love to see this building in a more established/prominent location...

That tower is fascinating and will be a great addition to Houston's collection of significant buildings.

However, I think the parcel on Westheimer is an odd location for any high rise, let alone such a prominent building.

I hope the developer does decide to relocate this one to somewhere in Midtown, Uptown, or the Museum/Medical District.

I think it would compliment/elevate any of those neighborhoods without appearing to be an "odd man out"

I hope the developer does decide to relocate this one to somewhere in Midtown, Uptown, or the Museum/Medical District.

I think it would compliment/elevate any of those neighborhoods without appearing to be an "odd man out"

i think it would be an "odd man out" in midtown and the museum district too. i still think it would fit well in greenway.

Archived