Landfill West Of Shadow Creek Ranch

noodlemonger

I just read this story about the landfill west of Shadow Creek Ranch.

My wife and I were looking hard at moving down to Shadow Creek Ranch. We love the houses and community amenities. But that story about the landfill gives me pause.

Do you folks think the landfill will cause problems in terms of sewage leakage, odor, and property devaluation?

Thanks!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was Blue Ridge but who knows....

technically, Shadow Creek is surrounded by landfills to the East and West...the land the community sits on was nothing but prairie land and didn't open up until the 90s anyway..

but as a kid I remember going to the dump on Anderson Road a few miles North of Shadow Creek and the Blue Ridge one was always there.

Once you cross the Beltway or if you take Hooper Road from the Beltway there's another Landfill also...

I just read this story about the landfill west of Shadow Creek Ranch.

My wife and I were looking hard at moving down to Shadow Creek Ranch. We love the houses and community amenities. But that story about the landfill gives me pause.

Do you folks think the landfill will cause problems in terms of sewage leakage, odor, and property devaluation?

Thanks!

Yes, it's the Blue Ridge landfill just west of SCR on FM 521. There were a lot meetings between BFI and affected citizen and BFI gave their "assurance" that there would be no problems with leaks or odors, but I doubt they can have control over a landfill of the size they are proposing. Currently the Blue Ridge landfill has been in use since the early 1990s and under the current contract will remain open for another 13 years. If BFI is allowed to expand I think the new landfill will be open for more 40 years. So far the city of Pearland has gotten involved and formally stated they are an affected group with this expansion. Hopefully BFI's landfill expanision will be denied. However, I think there has been only one denial for this type of request. Somewhere in the Northeast and it was fairly recent.

The only other landfill that is sort of nearby is one that is inside the Beltway on Almeda Genoa (I think). I see a sign for it when I take FM 521 to avoid 288 in the morning, but have never actually seen the landfill or smelled it. East of SCR is 288, shopping centers, and a subdivision. Haven't seen any landfills that way.

• 1 month later...

We were looking to buy a home (first time buyers) in/around houtson area and have almost narrowed it down to shadow Creek Ranch (SCR) in Pearland. Other day, I was talktng to a person who is currently living in SCR for more than a year and he firmly advised me not to buy in SCR. He feels he made a mistake. Why ? Not because of the builder/neighbor/Commute/Crime/Schools...But because of the proposed Expansion of a LandFill quite adjacent to SCR. The issue is " Blue Ridge Landfill owner BFI is going to expand the facility from its current 530-acre, 58-foot-high capacity to 784 acres, with refuse piled up to 170 feet high. The landfill sits on a total of 1,345 acres at 2200 F.M. Rd. 521 just opposite to West-boundary of SCR " . He also added that he smells garbage sometimes even now (dueto the CURRENT Landfill).

It seems like, after the expansion - it will be like a 17 story building of Garbage and he is concerend about the Sewage , Smell and environment issues. Read more here http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2266/stavi...expansion-plans

Some people have reported that they would have bought somewhere else, if they had known about it before. . (It appears that the expansion was a secret, until very recently).Another person days, he cancelled his builder contract risking the Option money

Though there are some potests and media coverage happening about this, it appears that it will be a fruitless effort since Fortbend County (where the land fill is) has a written agreement with the Landfill owners that they wont protest any future expansion.

So, I put a hold on my house hunt for the time being. I would like to get some comments from the the current residents living in any (SCR,SilverCreek, silver Lake/etc) Communities next to this landfill.<script language=JavaScript>

I live in Silverlake. I guess it's all relative but I don't consider myself being next to Blue Ridge, nor or all parts of Shadow Creek.

I'm sure it's making many potential homebuyers think long and hard about whether or not they want to buy in the area, as it should. But I know in my particular neighborhood in Silverlake (and I can only speak for my specific subdivsion/village) people are still buying and homes don't stay on the market long.

And yes, KTRK, KHOU and Fox are all filing a lawsuit to stop the expansion. This is along with the ongoing suit by Shadow Creek, Teal Run and other Fresno residents.

I agree that SCR has been hurt by landfill expansion. I personally wouldn't have bought there if I had known. If fact I even asked about the landfill before I bought and was told that it would be "done" in the next 5 years. Any reasearch I did back in 2005 didn't indicate that it was under review for expansion until I still reading about it in some articles about the summer of 2006. I think Allied really tried to get this under the radar becuase it's on the county line they used that as a reason for not notifying SCR residents or the City of Pearland of the expansion. I personally have only smelled the landfill on very few occasions, but I imagine when it's a tower I will know its there all the time. I think we have another two years before the expanision can really be approved and I'm hoping now that it has more media attention, particularly by channel 11 and 13, that we will get some more results. I work in downtown and don't really have a problem with the commute (I'm an early bird), and the crime is more about housing supplies, but I have been disappointed with the SCR HOA. They are not involved and do not respond to any requests or questions I have in a timely manner.

I've been living in SCR since May 2006. I did not know about the landfill before buying nor did any of the builders tell me about it. I would not have bought in SCR had I known.

That said, I do notice a foul odor periodically, usually at night, depending on the winds, I imagine. However, I do NOT think the smell is because of the landfill. It smells much more chemical, probably from one of the chemical plants along 521. It does not smell like sewage or garbage, which I would hope I could identify. My neighbors all agree with me on this.

One family in my neighborhood built a home but backed out of the contract when heard about the landfill. The house was on a lake and would probably have a stunning view of the landfill if it were increased. He moved to the east end of SCR near Kirby. By doing so, from his next-door-neighbor-to-be, he apparently took a $40k hit by moving. OUCH!!

I'm happy to hear the media outlets are opposing it. That could be a big deal. But from what I've heard through the grapevine, it will be approved, sadly. I do fear being able to sell my house in the future because we do not intend to stay there forever and ever, more like 3-6 years.

Home sales in SCR have dropped off a cliff since we moved in last May. However, new home sales throughout the country have been slow for the last year, too. My subdivision has been better lately, with 6 sales in the last 2 months. Not great, but better.

Why hasn't SCR had a flyer in every single door of a SCR residence? They should be getting much more involved than they have. But nope. Oddly silent.

I don't know anything about the Shadow Creek Ranch neighborhood or the landfill. But some of the issues raised in this thread reminded me of issues discussed in the cover article of the most recent issue of the Houston Press, and a couple of related sidebar articles, about another neighborhood ("Woodwind Lakes subdivision built on oil and gas field turns on neighbor who pointed out the contamination"). That situation is probably very different, but the article discussed residents' concerns about falling property values and the role of the HOA, and so I thought it might be worth mentioning.

I take 521 down to my airport for flying lessons and drive right by the back wall of SCR. The smell there is often quite strong -- and I agree, it's more of an amonia or chemical smell than a garbage smell. I'd be very upset if I lived in that very nice neighborhood and ever smelled that coming into it.

Can someone post a link to the lawsuit by Channel13,11,26 on this issue ? I could not find it..

Actually it's not a lawsuit. The first step is to formally contest with TCEQ. The story is in the following link.

http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2790/tv-st...-public-at-risk

ETA one more story...

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/pearlan...ws/4714130.html

Actually it's not a lawsuit. The first step is to formally contest with TCEQ. The story is in the following link.

http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2790/tv-st...-public-at-risk

looks like the tv stations didn't know about the plan til after the public comments period was over. their only recourse now is most likely a legal one.

I would like to get some comments from the the current residents living in any (SCR,SilverCreek, silver Lake/etc) Communities next to this landfill.<script language=JavaScript>

I have been a SCR resident since 2005. Did not know anything about this landfill until few months ago. I guess I was lucky to buy on the East side far away from the landfill.

Of course it has been on the best interest of the developers and homebuilders to keep this issue as low key as possible; but from what I see now, it might start hurting their sales, especially on the Fort Bend side of the neighborhood which is the closer to 521 and the landfill. I think SCR is getting close to the 3,000 houses already built, so I hope that with the support of the city of Pearland, the TV stations and some of the other affected neighborhoods there is something that we can do.

When I moved to Pearland, I used to work in the Galleria and since then I changed offices to Sugarland. If you have no business in the north part of town other than the occasional International flight from IAH or visit to the Woodlands, SCR is a great conveniently located place. From other threads in this forum, I imagine you have seen the type of commercial developments taking place and hopefully expansions to our road systems that will be necessary in a very few years.

If I were in your position Brain, it would be a hard call..... Most of the remaining good areas and builders are developing the west side of SCR close to the landfill and for sure if the expansion is approved, most likely re-sale could be an issue.

Did you check Southern Trails just south of SCR which also is closer to 288 than to 521? There are also still some East subdivisions of SCR with lots available and don't see them being affected visually or with the smell that might come from the Landfill.

Good luck with any decision you finally make!

Thanks for everyone sharing their views.

After reading lots of materials on this topic, this is my view

* Since state (TCEQ) has already ruled ins favour of Allied, they are half-done with it [Yes, better begun is half done]

* Also, it is the same TCEQ who will decide on the "request for contested hearing" (RCH), I would not be surprised if that request is denied again

* If RCH is granted, it will be another 2 years or so, for the final decision.

* Missoury city and Fortbend already agreed to receive 'tipping fees' (Legal Bribe ?) for their silence

* Eventhough TV stations are in the battle, I doubt how serious is their battle. They do know everything else in the city but they did not know about this until the last minute ? hmmmmmm..

* Allied is a multi-million business and so are the TV stations. Sadly, but true - money is the guiding force at many places. Allied may offer to cover (partially) expenses to erect 230 ft high MEGADopler towers. Who knows ?

* I read somewhere that, different projects that were about to be started near SCR is on hold. Not sure whether it is correct or not, but of it is - that is not a good sign. They get the confirmed rumours quicker than 'Fire ants'

* HOA and Newland (the actual owners of SCR) prefer to remain silent. They fear that once they voluntarly inform existing residents and Potential new residents, there will be panic and the typical "horror, get out and run". They want as many units to be sold as quickly as possible. Once the units are sold, they dont care whether it is 170 ft tall garbage or 1700 ft tall garbage.

* Its a 40-60 game, favouring Allied

* Since state (TCEQ) has already ruled ins favour of Allied, they are half-done with it [Yes, better begun is half done]

* Also, it is the same TCEQ who will decide on the "request for contested hearing" (RCH), I would not be surprised if that request is denied again

* Missoury city and Fortbend already agreed to receive 'tipping fees' (Legal Bribe ?) for their silence

* Eventhough TV stations are in the battle, I doubt how serious is their battle. They do know everything else in the city but they did not know about this until the last minute ? hmmmmmm..

* Allied is a multi-million business and so are the TV stations. Sadly, but true - money is the guiding force at many places. Allied may offer to cover (partially) expenses to erect 230 ft high MEGADopler towers. Who knows ?

* I read somewhere that, different projects that were about to be started near SCR is on hold. Not sure whether it is correct or not, but of it is - that is not a good sign. They get the confirmed rumours quicker than 'Fire ants'

* HOA and Newland (the actual owners of SCR) prefer to remain silent. They fear that once they voluntarly inform existing residents and Potential new residents, there will be panic and the typical "horror, get out and run". They want as many units to be sold as quickly as possible. Once the units are sold, they dont care whether it is 170 ft tall garbage or 1700 ft tall garbage.

You'll be OK if you move to SCR. From my gut (which is based on "business common sense") the common good tends to work out in situations like this. There will be enough pressure from "grass roots" organizations/people that Allied will make consessions. Also, there are too many resources tied up in this area of town to let it be dissolved by a landfill. Allied is not that powerful. But if you must wait then that is a viable option too.

I sat in on one of the council meetings regarding this subject and the expansion was not approved to the best of my limited memory. The TCEQ, County officials, etc, can approve any permit they would like, but it is the City that has the final word in what happens withing its boarders (to some extent). A good example of this is that the county does not limit my desire to have an open fire on my property in the county, nor does the TCEQ if I want to doze my trees and burn them. The City, on the other hand, has ordinances that make it illegal for me to do that without a permit - which they will not approve.

Funny thing about these landfills are that they have been around for a long time and were originally put in a good location considering the proximity to the city and populated areas. Now they are smack dab in the middle of things because nobody imagined the type of growth we would have. Brio on Dixie Farm and Beamer is another example of that.

G

I sat in on one of the council meetings regarding this subject and the expansion was not approved to the best of my limited memory. The TCEQ, County officials, etc, can approve any permit they would like, but it is the City that has the final word in what happens withing its boarders (to some extent). A good example of this is that the county does not limit my desire to have an open fire on my property in the county, nor does the TCEQ if I want to doze my trees and burn them. The City, on the other hand, has ordinances that make it illegal for me to do that without a permit - which they will not approve.

Funny thing about these landfills are that they have been around for a long time and were originally put in a good location considering the proximity to the city and populated areas. Now they are smack dab in the middle of things because nobody imagined the type of growth we would have. Brio on Dixie Farm and Beamer is another example of that.

G

It appears that the actual 'City' of this landfill is 'Fresno' . ( MAP ) I know Pearland is opposing the expansion but did not read much about Fresno anywhere.

So George, it appears that you are optimistic that the expansion will not happen eventually. Did I get that right ?

It appears that the actual 'City' of this landfill is 'Fresno' . ( MAP ) I know Pearland is opposing the expansion but did not read much about Fresno anywhere.

So George, it appears that you are optimistic that the expansion will not happen eventually. Did I get that right ?

I would say yes but we never know what goes on behind closed doors.

G

those landfills were there way before shadow creek was thought of.....there are more landfills right on the other side of the beltway so technically the area is surrounded by landfills

Right. But the new issue is that BFI is planning to do a massive expansion to the landfill, which after completion will be a 17 stories high heap of trash :unsure:

well...development has killed alot of isolated areas that could hold a landfill in Pearland......you can't go towards Missouri City because that area is developed already and South on 521 is Fresno and a bunch of smaller ares with people living on acreage...only other place is prison country....

I grew up 5 miles from Shadow Creek and the southern area of my old area is bordered by oil fields...they aren't going anywhere either so what are the options for BFI?

developers probably knew that going in but didn't think the area would've grown so fast...I commuted to Angleton in 2001 and Shadow Creek was nothing but a field and 518 and 288 and beginning to grow...a few years later look at what has happened...

http://www.khou.com/topstories/stories/kho...ar.fb2abb8.html

Landfill could blind TV weather radars

07:09 PM CDT on Thursday, April 26, 2007

By Jason Whitely / 11 News

FRESNO - Truck by truck the Blue Ridge Landfill grows everyday. Its owner, Allied Waste, wants to expand it even more.

But three TV stations, including KHOU-TV, now oppose the controversial plan.

Allied Waste asked the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality for permission to more than triple the height it can pile trash, from 53 feet right now to 170 feet.

Trash piled that high is what worries TV stations.

"If you put a 200 foot landfill in front of a radar you're going to have problems with coverage and being able to let the radar do its job picking up storms and tracking systems within the Gulf especially, the Galveston area would be affected and all of the whole Houston area would be affected," said KHOU-TV Director of Technology Frank Peterman.

The trash could end up 100 feet higher than the weather radars. Engineers at KHOU‑TV say that will prevent "HD Doppler" from seeing storms and hurricanes to the southeast.

"We're surprised this is the first time the issue has come up," said Gary McCuistion, Allied Waste spokesman.

Allied Waste said neither KHOU-TV nor KTRK-TV and KRIV-TV, also fighting the proposal, ever attended the public hearings on the expansion.

"It's my understanding they weren't notified," said Richard Morrison, environmental attorney representing the Coalition Against Blue Ridge Landfill Expansion. "That's how the process works. If you're a landowner you're supposed to be notified so you have an opportunity to go to the public hearing."

By law, Allied Waste says it only has to notify landowners within 500 feet.

Most of the weather radars are two or three miles away.

So TV stations are taking legal action now, hoping to convince the state to keep Blue Ridge from getting any bigger and potentially blinding the region from approaching storms.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that builders are in a hurry to close out before the news get spread. I saw an ad that Perry is offering 10K bonus and Steel appliances upgrade for all potential buyers in Eden Cove in SCR. That would ring a bell when you notice that Eden Cove is a subdisvision in SCR kissing almeda/Landill

It appears that builders are in a hurry to close out before the news get spread. I saw an ad that Perry is offering 10K bonus and Steel appliances upgrade for all potential buyers in Eden Cove in SCR. That would ring a bell when you notice that Eden Cove is a subdisvision in SCR kissing almeda/Landill

10K? Let me know when they're offering 40k bonuses. Then you know they're trying to sell. On average priced houses, 200k-250k, a 10k bonus is TYPICAL. I got a 10k bonus 16 months ago in SCR. All the builders tweak their "deals" over time in order to make it look attractive and different. I've seen upgrades at 1/3 price (of course, that is with no bonus money so it's ALL out of pocket). I've seen free plasma TVs, free sprinklers, free granite upgrade. But typically, that comes out of the bonus money. My plan went up $7000 in base sales price over the course of one year. Once you factor that in and consider they're offering essentially the same options and discounts, and it's all really equal. However, perhaps they should ramp up the discounts since home sales have been slow throughout Houston and the rest of the country for the past year.

Archived