Move To Repeal Brazoria County Blue Laws

For those of you who live in Pearland, I'm sure you're aware that the Pearland and Alvin portions of Brazoria County are dry. There is a petition drive underway to have an election to change the laws.

There are two seperate issues so there will be two petitions circulating. 22,000 signatures are needed. They call for the following:

"The legal sale of mixed beverages in restaurants by food and beverage

certificate holders only"

and

"The legal sale of beer and wine for off-premise consumption only"

Today, petitions will be available to sign at both Pearland Walmarts

located on Broadway (518) from 1pm to 7pm.

If you know anyone in Alvin, there will be petitions at the Alvin

Walmart as well - I'm told the same times will apply.

On Wednesday (tomorrow) petitions will be available from 9am to 7pm at:

Pearland Krogers

Walmart Supercenter on N. Main

This Friday and Saturday evening, petitions will be available at local

restaraunts. I'm still waiting on clarification for which restaraunts

and times, so be looking for that soon.

Things are moving quickly now that the 60 day window is open.

I'd be happy to sign your petition but just for referances sake, the City of Pearland passed this a couple of years ago. Liquor by the drink is available with no membership at any food service place in Pearland that wants to get the liscense and sell it. Additionally, beer and wine is available at Wal Mart, Krogers, and any service station within Pearland City limits. The only thing we lack are liquor stores, but for me thats not a problem because I live on the east side of Pearland and have access to the liquor store on 518 in Friendswood just across the Galveston county line. You must live in Silverlake or SCR and go to the resturants not in the city limits of Pearland.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think wine is sold in any of the stores in Pearland city limits. We go into Cost Plus or Central Market.

There is a liquor store scheduled for construction at NE corner of Kirby and BW8 also. I usually go to one near work or the one down at 35 and BW8.

I agree that Brazoria County's liquor laws should be changed. The whole anti-drinking laws did not work in the 1920s, and they clearly do not work today.

Brazoria County is no longer a solidly rural and industrial county - Now Houston suburban influence is seeping in through Pearland and into Manvel and Alvin.

I don't think wine is sold in any of the stores in Pearland city limits. We go into Cost Plus or Central Market.

There is a liquor store scheduled for construction at NE corner of Kirby and BW8 also. I usually go to one near work or the one down at 35 and BW8.

Whoo hoo! Isn't there a Spec's that is supposed to go up somewhere near BW8 and Pearland Parkway. Usually I go the Spec's downtown. Can't beat their variety. But in a pinch I go to BW8 and Cullen.

I really hope we see some change in Pearland liquor laws. I really wish we could just buy wine in the grocery stores. Makes no sense that beer is available, but no wine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Whoo hoo! Isn't there a Spec's that is supposed to go up somewhere near BW8 and Pearland Parkway. Usually I go the Spec's downtown. Can't beat their variety. But in a pinch I go to BW8 and Cullen.

I really hope we see some change in Pearland liquor laws. I really wish we could just buy wine in the grocery stores. Makes no sense that beer is available, but no wine.

According to the article County Commisioners will canvas the polls November 14th and after that wine can be sold in the stores as soon as the businesses have the right permits. As far as the Specs at Beltway 8 and Pearland Parkway that can happen anytime they build it since that location is not in Brazoria County. The county line is just south of there where the bridge goes over Clear Creek. This election was not holding that up at all. The laws still do not allow for liquor stores in Brazoria County so we still have to travel for the hard stuff.

When do you believe that will change? Will it change when Pearland and Alvin become large?

Pearland at 100,000 and no one has even talked about it so no I don't have any idea when or if it will change. As clearman points out as long as the stores are near Pearland in Harris county no one seems to be to concerned. And since a lot if not most of the population of Brazoria county lives in the northern section around Pearland its not to big a concern. Added to that the southern parts of the county have muncipal laws that allow for liquor stores there and I don't see anything that will lead to a change.

Pearland at 100,000 and no one has even talked about it so no I don't have any idea when or if it will change. As clearman points out as long as the stores are near Pearland in Harris county no one seems to be to concerned. And since a lot if not most of the population of Brazoria county lives in the northern section around Pearland its not to big a concern. Added to that the southern parts of the county have muncipal laws that allow for liquor stores there and I don't see anything that will lead to a change.

Then would it become an issue once central and southern cities such as Angleton, Lake Jackson, and Freeport develop?

There's also Potter's Liquor on 518 which I believe is in unincorporated Galveston County between Friendswood and Pearland. (actually, I'm not sure that there is anything between Friendswood and Pearland any more; maybe Potter's got grandfathered.)

Then would it become an issue once central and southern cities such as Angleton, Lake Jackson, and Freeport develop?

I don't think it will be much an issue in a lot of those places because municipal ordinances currently allow liqour sales within thier borders. I know you can buy it in Surfside, Angleton, and Freeport. There are not enough people outside of those areas to really care beyond that.

There's also Potter's Liquor on 518 which I believe is in unincorporated Galveston County between Friendswood and Pearland. (actually, I'm not sure that there is anything between Friendswood and Pearland any more; maybe Potter's got grandfathered.)

C

The Potter's Liguor is actually within Friendswood City limits (but outside the original dry part of F'wood)

• 1 year later...
.....and they are building a huge liquor warehouse at BW8 and Kirby.....

Finally work started on this "8,000sq ft Liquor warehouse" or whatever they are building in that location.

There is also some activity in the southeast corner of BW8 & 288.... I had heard somewhere about a Holiday Inn express, don't know if that is what they are building there. With Obama's head making his arrival to Pearland's Presidential park before President's Day, good idea more Hotels are coming to the area for the opening of the park late 2009.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Move To Repeal Brazoria County Blue Laws

Archived