Wortham Theater Center At 501 Texas Ave.

Subdude

While the GRB at least made a stab at mid-1980s post-modern stylishness, this monstrosity was ugly from the word go. The ugly plain exterior is offset by a tacky, low-quality interior, highlighted by a strange plastic "sculpture." At least the front facade of the Wortham is partly hidden from the street by the trees in the plaza in front.

wortham-home2.jpg

Wortham%20Theater-%20Day_lres_web.jpg

WorthCtr.jpg

• Like 1

While the GRB at least made a stab at mid-1980s post-modern stylishness, this monstrosity was ugly from the word go. The ugly plain exterior is offset by a tacky, low-quality interior, highlighted by a strange plastic "sculpture." At least the front facade of the Wortham is partly hidden from the street by the trees in the plaza in front.

As i mentioned in the GRB thread, The economic downturn in the '80s resulted in some not so artistic designs here. This building is one of of those. They felt it would be more important to ensure a nice interior vs a nice exterior.

It actually was the first major opera house in the US that was built in 25 yrs.

I personally like the interior.

wortham-interior-1.jpg

wortham-interior-1.jpg

Someone once asked me what the sculptures on either side of the escalator meant. I told them evolution of man. :lol:

And actually, I know of at least one wedding that used that window as a backdrop. Well, it was either a wedding or a wedding reception. Either way, it's available for rent.

As i mentioned in the GRB thread, The economic downturn in the '80s resulted in some not so artistic designs here. This building is one of of those. They felt it would be more important to ensure a nice interior vs a nice exterior.

It actually was the first major opera house in the US that was built in 25 yrs.

wortham-interior-1.jpg

I realize it was built in the bust of the 1980s, but I'm not sure if I would consider that an excuse or not. Unfortunately, ugly buildings can come in any economic climate.

Thanks for the interior shot. It shows that grubby plastic whatever-it-is by the main escalators. What were they thinking? Last time I was there I thought the interior was looking a little ragged in spots. Given the budget design and construction, I would expect it to start showing its age soon.

wortham-home2.jpg

Wortham%20Theater-%20Day_lres_web.jpg

WorthCtr.jpg

If I remember my Houston history, it was built during the (oil) bust years and much of it was built with individual and corporate dollars. Maybe that's why it's low-class.

• 2 weeks later...
I realize it was built in the bust of the 1980s, but I'm not sure if I would consider that an excuse or not. Unfortunately, ugly buildings can come in any economic climate.

Exactly. Just look at the Hilton Americas and the Hobby.

Thanks for the interior shot. It shows that grubby plastic whatever-it-is by the main escalators.

I'm not sure if you are refering to the grubby plaster lobby surrounding the escalators or the Albert Paley sculptures flanking the escalators. He also did the door pulls on the ground level entrances.

However, the performance space is top notch. The fly space can still handle the largest shows and Operas and dressing suites and commons are far more than adequate

• 1 month later...

What the heck at least they used in a few films as a backdrop.

I can only say that having attended several Annual blacktie Gala's at this venue, it was far more than ecceptional. The place has real class maybe not on the outside but once inside you have change of heart. Without getting too dramatic, I remember these people rolling out the red carpet and it was no holds barred when it came to accomodating the crowd. There was a live orchestra playing in the center lobby and the sound carried nicely throughout. It was hypnotic. (remember the Percy Faith music we discussed in other topic). The trumpet sound flowed like champagne.

So again, its not so much what the place appears like, it's the people that make the elegance and ambiance that makes the place jump. I love this palace.

I still have numerous photos of the grand opening when they allowed the public to take tours.

:P

Edited by Vertigo58

• 1 month later...

I don't feel that strongly that it is that ugly. I did identify with someone's response that the exterior looks like a Dillard's department store, but I think it looks nice on the interior. I do appreciate that the arch of the external front entrance tried to be evocative of 19th-century opera halls (look at the 1893 Grand in Galveston), but the exterior is pretty boxy.

What about Jones Hall, I have always thought that was pretty ugly. And the seating, too. I hate climbing over a hundred people to get to my seat. Or the Alley? That looks like a Cold War bomb-proof bunker.

The Hobby Center is alright, but it reminds me too much of an airport terminal, and it isn't just the name making me think that. Give the exterior another look.

Why, oh why couldn't they have built Fort Worth's Bass Hall in Houston?

Another thing - why tear down the Music Hall. It needed some modernization, esp. the acoustics, (oh, and the parking garage, too) but it could have been saved and kept as a landmark and authentic example of Art Deco (which Houston loves to tear down - watch out River Oaks Theater and Alabama Bookstop) as well as a vibrant theater venue, and we would not have needed to build the Hobby.

What about Jones Hall, I have always thought that was pretty ugly. And the seating, too. I hate climbing over a hundred people to get to my seat. Or the Alley? That looks like a Cold War bomb-proof bunker.

Jones Hall and the Alley are both really good examples of their day's architecture. And they work pretty well for what they do. Especially the Alley, which is a perfect place to see a stage play.

Another thing - why tear down the Music Hall. It needed some modernization, esp. the acoustics, (oh, and the parking garage, too) but it could have been saved and kept as a landmark and authentic example of Art Deco (which Houston loves to tear down - watch out River Oaks Theater and Alabama Bookstop) as well as a vibrant theater venue, and we would not have needed to build the Hobby.

I always thought that the acoustics were one of the best things about the Music Hall. Having said that, the backstage spaces and theatrical equipment were not up to the requirements of most modern shows, especially touring ones. And lots of the seats were really far away. And the restrooms and lobby were woefully inadequate. And we lost the horrible Coliseum too, don't forget, which was a worthless venue as far as I could tell. Every time I went to the Music Hall I thought "I like Art Deco and old buildings, and the acoustics are pretty good. So why do I hate it here?" It looked like a low-budget municipal version of Jones Hall. And the MCM-inspired '50s lobby addition just looked incongruous.

The smaller sizes of the two Hobby theatres work much better for local arts groups. I tend to be strongly anti-demolition and tend to think that many new Houston structures are not improvements over what they replace. The Hobby Center is probably the most shining counter-example in Houston.

Jones Hall and the Alley are both really good examples of their day's architecture. And they work pretty well for what they do. Especially the Alley, which is a perfect place to see a stage play.

I always thought that the acoustics were one of the best things about the Music Hall. Having said that, the backstage spaces and theatrical equipment were not up to the requirements of most modern shows, especially touring ones. And lots of the seats were really far away. And the restrooms and lobby were woefully inadequate. And we lost the horrible Coliseum too, don't forget, which was a worthless venue as far as I could tell. Every time I went to the Music Hall I thought "I like Art Deco and old buildings, and the acoustics are pretty good. So why do I hate it here?" It looked like a low-budget municipal version of Jones Hall. And the MCM-inspired '50s lobby addition just looked incongruous.

The smaller sizes of the two Hobby theatres work much better for local arts groups. I tend to be strongly anti-demolition and tend to think that many new Houston structures are not improvements over what they replace. The Hobby Center is probably the most shining counter-example in Houston.

I might be wrong on the acoustics, it has been so long. I'm thinking of some place that I thought had bad acoustics. Oh, I remember - the Arena. I hate theatre-in-the-round anyway. I can believe you are right about the backstage and theatre equipment being outdated, though a lot of that could be redone. I agree the Coliseum is no loss. And now that you mention it, I totally remember the bathrooms. It felt like you had to go underground to access them, and the lines were hideously long at intermission. I guess people in the 30s must not have needed to go to the bathroom as much :rolleyes: Remind me of the lobby addition, I can't remember what it was like.

The parking was the biggest think I remember as being outdated and scary. Inside you felt like a mugger was lurking everywhere, and driving past it, you were sure it was going to fall off and plunge into the bayou.

Jones Hall works inside, except access to seats. Heck of alot better than Broadway theaters. Alley is great for straight plays, not so good for musicals, so thank goodness they only occasionally try one (last i saw there was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum 2 or 3 years back.) I just think Alley is ugly as sin - a bunker - on the outside.

Most of my reaction to Music Hall being demolished probably comes from nostalgia rather than it really being that great a venue.

Edited by Reefmonkey

I might be wrong on the acoustics, it has been so long. I'm thinking of some place that I thought had bad acoustics. Oh, I remember - the Arena. I hate theatre-in-the-round anyway.

When the Houston Symphony played there in beginning in the '50s until Jones Hall was built, there was quite a bit of acoustical work done with wall treatments, reflectors, etc. It was relatively reverberative because of its size, which is desirable for orchestral music and less so for theatre. The occasional rock or jazz concert there tended to be very successful.

I can believe you are right about the backstage and theatre equipment being outdated, though a lot of that could be redone. I agree the Coliseum is no loss. And now that you mention it, I totally remember the bathrooms. It felt like you had to go underground to access them, and the lines were hideously long at intermission. I guess people in the 30s must not have needed to go to the bathroom as much :rolleyes: Remind me of the lobby addition, I can't remember what it was like.

The production issues had more to do with the size of backstage and support areas, hallways, stairs, loading dock, orchestra pit, etc. Those things are really hard to re-do. Not so much lighting, rigging, or audio equipment.

The parking was the biggest think I remember as being outdated and scary. Inside you felt like a mugger was lurking everywhere, and driving past it, you were sure it was going to fall off and plunge into the bayou.

I never felt unsafe there, but it was cramped and the angles were too steep. It was certainly not built with modern cars in mind. As far as I know it was one of the first parking garages downtown.

Jones Hall works inside, except access to seats. Heck of alot better than Broadway theaters. Alley is great for straight plays, not so good for musicals, so thank goodness they only occasionally try one (last i saw there was A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum 2 or 3 years back.) I just think Alley is ugly as sin - a bunker - on the outside.

Most of my reaction to Music Hall being demolished probably comes from nostalgia rather than it really being that great a venue.

I've gotta disagree with you there. The "no center aisle" design is called "continental seating" and I've never had a problem with it in Jones Hall. It's the best way to get seats closer to the stage with better sight lines. When it is done, code requires a much wider aisle than it does in theatres with center aisles. I also love musicals in the Alley. Of course they don't have a pit, so they have to do non-traditional shows or stagings. But I've seen several and never a bad one. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the exterior. I think it is the best New Brutalist building in Houston, and one of the only ones left. It looks like a castle to me.

The lobby addition to the Music Hall happened in the '50s. It was the glass walled wraparound lobby, and yes, the restrooms were downstairs. I don't know why older theatres had so many fewer restrooms, but I have noticed that too. Most of the stairs and floors in the Music Hall common areas were hard institutional tile rather than the carpet found in newer venues. I was always afraid of falling and hurting myself on the stairs, and the lobby was deafeningly noisy. Of course their attempts to retrofit to ADA standards looked really tacked on, too, and I'm not sure if there even was an elevator to the balcony.

When the Houston Symphony played there in beginning in the '50s until Jones Hall was built, there was quite a bit of acoustical work done with wall treatments, reflectors, etc. It was relatively reverberative because of its size, which is desirable for orchestral music and less so for theatre. The occasional rock or jazz concert there tended to be very successful.

The production issues had more to do with the size of backstage and support areas, hallways, stairs, loading dock, orchestra pit, etc. Those things are really hard to re-do. Not so much lighting, rigging, or audio equipment.

I never felt unsafe there, but it was cramped and the angles were too steep. It was certainly not built with modern cars in mind. As far as I know it was one of the first parking garages downtown.

I've gotta disagree with you there. The "no center aisle" design is called "continental seating" and I've never had a problem with it in Jones Hall. It's the best way to get seats closer to the stage with better sight lines. When it is done, code requires a much wider aisle than it does in theatres with center aisles. I also love musicals in the Alley. Of course they don't have a pit, so they have to do non-traditional shows or stagings. But I've seen several and never a bad one. We'll just have to agree to disagree on the exterior. I think it is the best New Brutalist building in Houston, and one of the only ones left. It looks like a castle to me.

The lobby addition to the Music Hall happened in the '50s. It was the glass walled wraparound lobby, and yes, the restrooms were downstairs. I don't know why older theatres had so many fewer restrooms, but I have noticed that too. Most of the stairs and floors in the Music Hall common areas were hard institutional tile rather than the carpet found in newer venues. I was always afraid of falling and hurting myself on the stairs, and the lobby was deafeningly noisy. Of course their attempts to retrofit to ADA standards looked really tacked on, too, and I'm not sure if there even was an elevator to the balcony.

That makes sense then about the acoustics. I never went to symphony stuff there (not a fan of sitting still watching people play instruments, but that's just me), but went to lots of theatre productions there.

Understood about the backstage - you'd pretty much have to rebuild the thing, and then what's the point of preserving it after that?

I'm not sure the garage was built with ANY cars in mind. Seems the large boats of the 40s would be much harder to drive in there than today's front-wheel drive sedan with power steering. It's probably good they tore it down before Suburbans and Hummers became so common, though.

I do agree that continental seating does result in higher numbers of good seats, so it's a good tradeoff.

I do remember in the Music Hall as a kid wearing my treadless dress shoes on that slick tile and slipping.

New Brutalist style - I've never heard of it before, but it is a good name for the Alley's architecture. I guess part of it is I think Alley's company's forte is in stright plays, esp. drama, not musical.

I do believe Hobby is a good venue, and despite the airport terminal effect it has on me, is a nice addition to downtown. Now that TUTS is finally doing some better stuff, it makes for a nice evening.

I went to an opera there, and was underwhelmed. The performance was great, but the seats were terribly uncomfortable. They were small and the pitch was too much. I didn't even have nosebleed seats. It didn't seem that they had any trouble filling the place, so I submit that Houston needs a bigger opera house. One with more comfortable seating, and enough seating that they don't have to cram people in.

I went to an opera there, and was underwhelmed. The performance was great, but the seats were terribly uncomfortable. They were small and the pitch was too much. I didn't even have nosebleed seats. It didn't seem that they had any trouble filling the place, so I submit that Houston needs a bigger opera house. One with more comfortable seating, and enough seating that they don't have to cram people in.

Oh, yeah, I'm not even afraid of heights, but I get a feeling of vertigo walking around in the upper balcony area of Wortham, it is so steep.

Music Hall:

I'm pretty sure that garage was built in the 30's, and most cars then were narrower than now, and much smaller than they were by the late 50s. Still, it didn't have the benefit of modern planning or engineering. It was just a giant open space.

New Brutalist: yes. Also the Houston Post building on 610 and the former HISD admin building.

Wortham balcony: agreed, the stairs are scary, the interrupted railings understandable (sight lines) but weird, and the seats are far too small and the aisles too narrow.

Generally speaking, for opera, you don't want your theatre to be too big of a rectangular box. That means seats are added by going higher (as in the Galveston 1894 Opera House) instead of farther back (as in Jones Hall and the late somewhat lamented Music Hall.) The reason is that with fly space and sets over the stage house you can't have a reflective ceiling "shell" over the stage to direct sound toward the audience as you would for an orchestra concert and even professional singers have a limit to how loud they can sing, unamplified, for hours at a time. I think both the Brown and Cullen Theatres of Wortham are lovely places to see and hear an opera, but I do feel the balcony and Grand Tier seats are too small and too close together. It's a conundrum: how do you balance ticket prices, auditorium size, and seat size? You'd like to sell 3000 tickets but only sing in a room that's big enough for 1000 seats. The trade-off decisions are made and that leads to small seats (to fit more in) and expensive tickets (cause you don't have very many to sell). That's why Broadway houses are so cramped (plus the fact they're really old.)

That is a shame. Thanks for the information.

Is there some reason the performers aren't amplified? Is it for artistic or acoustic reasons?

Like so much in classical music, it's tradition. Certainly when most well-known operas were written there was no good way to amplify singers. That's why so many opera singers grew to such large sizes (it's not over 'til the fat lady sings) because they had to build up their lung capacity and breath support. Miking singers has really only become practical in the last thirty years or so, and even then I'm sure you've seen shows where it didn't work well. It has become standard in modern productions of Broadway type shows but I've never seen it in a traditional opera.

Remember, too, operas are LONG. Two and a half hours is standard and longer is common. Some early operas would last as long as five hours (that would be a week's worth of entertainment, you see) and it really takes a huge amount of stamina to sing that long.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Perhaps it was self immolation due to its exclusion from Phaidon's 21st century atlas, while it's neighbor down the street got a space? ;)

Yes yes, I still can't stop laughing at that argument/fact.