Favorite Houston Buildings And Places

marc

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In conjunction with Morris Architects. They were recently named in the AIA top 150 of America's favorite architecture. www. aia150.org

That was in response to Montrose1100 and what he said about 3 of the building being designed by Philip Johnson.

Well the only one I've ever seen praised outside of Houston were Pennzoil Place 1 & 2, and Bank of America Center. But I guess I'm basing that off of general popularity, and not an architect, or architecture fans' opinions.

Houston Ship Channel

Johnson Space Center

The Galleria (even though I think it is tacky and overblown)

Pennzoil Tower

Williams Tower

The 610 Loop

Beltway 8

Kemah (only a matter of time before it is annexed)

Galveston (only a matter of time before it is annexed)

Kingwood (aka "The Liveable Forest" unlike The Woodlands which is just like Pleasantville)

Hmmm... what else

Old 3rd Ward (before it became Midtown or whatever it's being called)

Texas Southern University (how many Texas cities have their own HBCU?)

The Astrodome

The Houston Medical Center

There's prolly more, but that'll get me started.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe we can have David Addicks (I know I spelled that wrong) make a giant astronaut helmet for NASA's front lawn. If tourists start getting their pictures taken in front of it, we're in business!

I have actually floated the idea of a Giant Monument of a Astronaut along the Gulf Freeway in one of those empty fields, on this board for few years now. People could stop on their way to Galveston, and take pics in front of it like they do the Monument of Sam Houston in Huntsville. Or, in the style of Houston, they could build it with a giant parking lot next to it, and a specialized bus could shuttle visitors over to Nasa from the monument.

I have actually floated the idea of a Giant Monument of a Astronaut along the Gulf Freeway in one of those empty fields, on this board for few years now. People could stop on their way to Galveston, and take pics in front of it like they do the Monument of Sam Houston in Huntsville. Or, in the style of Houston, they could build it with a giant parking lot next to it, and a specialized bus could shuttle visitors over to Nasa from the monument.

i like the planes on nasa rd 1 in front of JSC. only thing more space oriented would be a shuttle or rocket.

The view of the city and landscape itself is my favorite icon. The view is great at about 500ft- 1000ft when landing at Bush Intercontinental. Looks like there are 3 distinct downtown areas rising from a sea of thick and very vast forest!

Just curious, do you mean when landing from east to west? It's great because when I fly in from the east the plane flies to a point just east of Bolivar, then banks west over the northern section of Galveston Bay and over Lake Houston to IAH. That flight path allows me to see Galveston, the San Jacinto Monument, and the Houston Ship Channel all the way to downtown. It's quite a sight.

648px-Williams_Tower.jpg

H-town Icon Williams Tower hands down

I think to a generation of Houstonians (myself included) the Williams Tower represents landmark on the city landscape similar to the Gulf lollipop all those years ago.

It has such a great visual presence and dominates the local area like no other building. But seriously, it was a groundbreaking concept when it was built.

Have you seen that steel yard on 288 just south of 610? They have a bunch of things (gorillas, dinosaurs, planes, etc.). Lots of people do just that (stop and take pix).

Just curious, do you mean when landing from east to west? It's great because when I fly in from the east the plane flies to a point just east of Bolivar, then banks west over the northern section of Galveston Bay and over Lake Houston to IAH. That flight path allows me to see Galveston, the San Jacinto Monument, and the Houston Ship Channel all the way to downtown. It's quite a sight.

East/west doesnt matter ;) The view of the city of Houston is the same. Only difference is the side of the airplane that it can be viewed from when considering an east west landing :)

East/west doesnt matter ;) The view of the city of Houston is the same. Only difference is the side of the airplane that it can be viewed from when considering an east west landing :)

so are there any tips on how to best see downtown from the plane. Because so far I haven't been very lucky, only once have I caught a glimpse, and it wasn't that impressive because it was too far away. That's a pity, because I have been far luckier with places like NYC, Chicago, London and Hamburg... (in Asia I usually don't see much either, although I have been lucky with Japanese mountains such as Mt. Fuji and also Sakurajima)....

Sakurajima_Landsat_image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, Phillip Johnson has been good for our fair city.

Now, if we can only land a Foster or Renzo Piano...............

Renzo Piano designed the main Menil Collection building.

Although relatively small, I think it is one of the best buildings in the city (and state).

It is truly a primary jewel for the city!

Renzo Piano designed the main Menil Collection building.

Although relatively small, I think it is one of the best buildings in the city (and state).

It is truly a primary jewel for the city!

I like the inside better than the outside. By the by, where exactly is it located in Houston? I would like to visit it when i am there in July.

Thanks TxDave.

m. B)

westheimeruo0.png

That is funky, but cool. Who is the architect? It sort of reminds me of the Calatrava proposed in NY.

Yes, that would be an identifiable building. Too bad it isn't taller.

m.

Allen Biachi. There is a topic about it here:

Westheimer Tower proposal.

It would be cool if it were taller, but since it is proposed for a residential neighborhood it would be very noticeable. Somehow I don't think it is in the right location to be a symbol for the city, if that makes any sense.

That rotating tower is a riot. Two visuals stand out.

1. A stack of cow patties

2. A stack of pebbles from the beach.

They can't be serious. No way, it's got to be a gag of some kind. A child's drawing could be taken more serious. Rotating indeed.

I think Houston has it's icon.. it just doesnt utilize it to it's fullest. It's a shame Williams Tower isnt modified and marketed as a tourist attraction.

Didn't there used to be an observation level ?

Is that something that could be incorporated now... stripping half a level near the top and having a dedicated tourist elevator.

Having a seperate tourist entrance, mini musuem at the bottom.. a la how they run the Sears tower.

Was the Sears Tower skydeck opened when the building finished completion, or was it modifed later to also be open to tourists ?

Think of the view for tourists just opening the eastern half of one level.. looking down on the rest of uptown.. seeing downtown and med center skylines in the distance.. seeing all the green in between.... it would give visitors an incredibly new look at what Houston is.

Marketing Williams Tower could be this lone tower (.. lone star state) that watches over the rest of the city, like the lightouse it is... It could be wonderful...

Last I was there the observation room in Williams tower faced west, so you missed the better view towards downtown. It seemed like a waste.

Did they have a dedicated elevator..

The one they had was never marketed as a real tourist attraction, inside the icty or outisde.... Hines could do it right and free up the eastern half of a level and go into the tourism biz.

I think Houston has it's icon.. it just doesnt utilize it to it's fullest. It's a shame Williams Tower isnt modified and marketed as a tourist attraction.

Didn't there used to be an observation level ?

Is that something that could be incorporated now... stripping half a level near the top and having a dedicated tourist elevator.

Having a seperate tourist entrance, mini musuem at the bottom.. a la how they run the Sears tower.

Was the Sears Tower skydeck opened when the building finished completion, or was it modifed later to also be open to tourists ?

Think of the view for tourists just opening the eastern half of one level.. looking down on the rest of uptown.. seeing downtown and med center skylines in the distance.. seeing all the green in between.... it would give visitors an incredibly new look at what Houston is.

Marketing Williams Tower could be this lone tower (.. lone star state) that watches over the rest of the city, like the lightouse it is... It could be wonderful...

That sounds like an awesome idea! NOW, to market such a thing........hmmmmmm.

Good ideas.

Keep them coming.

m. :)

That sounds like an awesome idea! NOW, to market such a thing........hmmmmmm.

Good ideas.

Keep them coming.

m. :)

Soon after completion of the (Transco) now Williams Tower, civilians were allowed to go up and view from atop. I know an old friend of mine proposed marriage up there to his wife :lol: Should could have pushed himoff? :lol:

9/11 must have ended that as they did many other towers in Houston soon after that terrible event.

Soon after completion of the (Transco) now Williams Tower, civilians were allowed to go up and view from atop. I know an old friend of mine proposed marriage up there to his wife :lol: Should could have pushed himoff? :lol:

9/11 must have ended that as they did many other towers in Houston soon after that terrible event.

Yeah.. but they still manage to do it at the Sears Tower and the Empire State.. and people are still allowed to the viewing floor at Chase.... you can't half-ass it... you can have make it extreme controlled access at the tourist entrance.... but it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

That tower is fascinating and will be a great addition to Houston's collection of significant buildings.

However, I think the parcel on Westheimer is an odd location for any high rise, let alone such a prominent building.

I hope the developer does decide to relocate this one to somewhere in Midtown, Uptown, or the Museum/Medical District.

I think it would compliment/elevate any of those neighborhoods without appearing to be an "odd man out"

I like the inside better than the outside. By the by, where exactly is it located in Houston? I would like to visit it when i am there in July.

Thanks TxDave.

m. B)

I agree, the inside is awesome! Cool and calming, yet stunning and inspiring...

The museum address is: 1515 Sul Ross

which is located within Alabama, Richmond, Montrose, and Shepherd.

Here is a link to the site:

http://www.menil.org/

I don't get it how people use 9/11 as a reason to close down observation decks in some buildings and others are left completely open to the public (like Chase). Do they believe that Williams Tower is more of a security risk than Chase? I guess so... and I guess they are too lazy to install any security like the Empire State Building. It also seems to me that the fact that the World Trade Center had an observation deck really had nothing to do with the disaster, so this banning of observation decks seems a little bit strange to me. At least there are two observations decks downtown that are open and free and have excellent views.

It's a shame I can't go up to the top of Williams Tower, I've always wanted to - but I'd rather see a view to the East than West.

That being said, I don't think the Williams Tower is much of a Houston icon, despite being a nice skyscraper and all. I mean, I'm an outsider and I had never heard of it before I moved here. Yet I know all about the Sears Tower and the Golden Gate Bridge and I've never been to Chicago or San Francisco.

Unfortunately, I didn't know much of anything about Houston before I read about it in Wikipedia (just before I decided to apply to Rice), besides the fact that the Katrina evacuees live here. I have to say, I was more impressed with Houston from what I learned on Wikipedia than I expected to be. Houston seriously needs to have a better world image, and I think a landmark icon would be a great start, it's just that I have no idea what it could be.

Archived