Rice Design Alliance Southampton Tour This Weekend

marmer

Looks really great although the membership fee is a bit steep. I wanted to join anyway, so I guess it's OK. Anyone done one of these before? How bike-friendly is it? It looks like the houses are too close together to drive, but too far apart to be able to see them all if you have to walk between them.

http://rda.rice.edu/index.php?topgroupid=6...&groupid=78

Thanks,

marmer

We'll be touring but not docenting this year (have to get them all in on Saturday). It should be bikeable this year being in one neighborhood, but in the last 2 years it was not bikeable, maybe it was boatable last year?

No Mid Century Moderns this year so that's too bad, but I still look forward to it.

Jason

I hope to go on Sunday. Last year's tour -- featuring homes on the bayou -- was awesome.

You should get the RDA membership -- then you'll receive their excellent quarterly, Cite.

Any favorites?

2129 Quenby (Leslie Elkins, 2003) was my favorite. It was very efficient and very open; the anti-McMansion. Maybe it reminded me the most of my own place...

1825 Albans (Harrison Kornberg Architects, 2006) was pretty cool too. I really loved the layout downstairs, but the upstairs didn't do it for me.

I was also inspired by the bamboo at 2 of the houses. We bought bamboo like that, but it's not as thick yet. I went straight out and bought some ozmicote to speed up the growth on mine! I'm also going to have to trim my bamboo, so seeing how it's supposed to look was inspiring as well.

We walked the whole thing and it was a wonderful afternoon. I really would have loved the mods we walked by (esp. Anderson Todd, 1970) to have been on the tour, but you can't win 'em all.

Jason

Any favorites?

2129 Quenby (Leslie Elkins, 2003) was my favorite. It was very efficient and very open; the anti-McMansion. Maybe it reminded me the most of my own place...

1825 Albans (Harrison Kornberg Architects, 2006) was pretty cool too. I really loved the layout downstairs, but the upstairs didn't do it for me.

We walked the whole thing and it was a wonderful afternoon.

1825 albans was definately my fave and I agree with you, the downstairs layout was almost perfect.

but i am a sucker for craftsman houses with original details, so my second favorite was the 1901 bolsover house.

the woodwork was beautiful and the incinerator chutes were cool B)

i also loved the grounds at the other older house on the tour, 2201 Albans. the bedroom overlooking the small pool and rear garden was great. the old turquoise bath fixtures were cool too :ph34r:

All the houses were interesting and had some outstanding detail.

Sunday was definately an ideal day, glad I didn't do it Saturday.

I'm glad someone brought this up. I got the brochure for this trip in the mail, and it showed all of the homes. But I don't see what the point is of touring them. They look just like any other collection of East Coast homes.

I know I'm not trained as an architect or engineer like many of the other HAIFers, so that's why I'm hoping someone will explain the appeal of these (to my eyes rather ordinary) homes. I'm looking for an education here.

I know I'm not trained as an architect or engineer like many of the other HAIFers, so that's why I'm hoping someone will explain the appeal of these (to my eyes rather ordinary) homes. I'm looking for an education here.

it is a matter of personal preference IMO. i helped a friend sunday as a docent for the orange show eyeopener tours at her home. some person's trash is another person's treasure.

I went on Saturday. It started out windy and cold but got pleasant by late afternoon. Biking was definitely the way to go for this one. I parked at Rice and rode my bike to the houses. Little traffic, no parking problem, much less time than walking. Saw all of them in about four hours.

2015 Albans: Nice interiors and courtyard, friendly, pretty calico cat.

2201 Albans: Loved the original screen porch.

1825 Albans: Probably my favorite of the "hard" mods. It had a certain warmth and liveability about it.

1809 Dunstan: My favorite on the tour. Great use of natural light, lots of neo-moderne touches like the segmented window glass and the brick details. A boy's paradise with all the sports equipment, electronics lab, model airplanes, and vintage cars and Indian motorcycles!

1901 Bolsover: Really interesting because of its originality. Trash chutes, basement with coal furnace, plaster details in the (now enclosed) screen porch, lovely terra-cotta and black tile original bathroom with original shower stall and domed tub enclosure.

2011 Quenby: Carlos Jimenez. Lots of light, but a little cold for me. I thought the color and scale worked well though.

2129 Quenby: Well, if you want small, simple, and stark, this is the house for you. I thought it was a little too understated.

2217 Bolsover: Spectacular use of interior color. An 80's house that has aged well. Second-floor deck was a nice amenity. The owners were present and happy to explain their remarkably eclectic art collection.

2307 Dunstan: Probably the most spectacular house, a multi level essay by Tom Wilson, who was present in the house. The interior levels were particularly effective, especially the second floor screened dining porch and the sunken living room. Bedrooms were scattered throughout the upper and lower floors. I would think that all the level changes, many somewhat hard to see, would be a fall hazard. A small swimming pool was in the front yard, screened by a brick privacy fence. I went to Rice with the eldest daughter of this family, though I didn't know her all that well and had never seen the house before.

I too noticed some spectacular bamboo and more than one of the houses had small wading-pools with fountains in their back courtyard. The close-set houses, backyard courtyards, alleys, and lush landscaping reminded me of Galveston, though the houses were not architecturally similar to most Galveston houses. Although these homes are not as large as those found in River Oaks, Broadacres, or Shadyside, they are all quite opulent. (well, except for 2129 Quenby!) All in all it was among the best home tours I've ever attended. Great job by the docents, too, for being welcoming and informative.

I took a few exterior pictures; if any seem particularly good I'll post them.

marmer

• The title was changed to Rice Design Alliance Southampton Tour This Weekend