Is it me or is Houston's Air quality improving?

I've been driving to work and have noticed that Houston's air quality really seems to have been improving. Every day when i drive to work downtown, i can't remember the last time i've seen that brown cloud surrounding the City's skyline. Also when i look at the other skylines throughout the city, the air seems clearer.

I'm not sure if this could be a result of the lawsuits and litigation that Mayor Bill White has thrown at the City's that contain these chemical plant factories/ facilities. Maybe i'm just hopeful to see my city improve.

Has anyone else noticed the air quality improving or staying the same?

I've been driving to work and have noticed that Houston's air quality really seems to have been improving. Every day when i drive to work downtown, i can't remember the last time i've seen that brown cloud surrounding the City's skyline. Also when i look at the other skylines throughout the city, the air seems clearer.

I'm not sure if this could be a result of the lawsuits and litigation that Mayor Bill White has thrown at the City's that contain these facilities. Maybe i'm just hopeful to see my city improve.

1st I must say Scarface breaks me up. Am I speaking to Tony Montana?

I am not sure about better air. I have noticed a dark film on the outside of my house from top to bottom. Kind of makes me wonder what that's all about? I am near a heavily travelled street so I will blame it on car emissions. :)

I'm not sure if this could be a result of the lawsuits and litigation that Mayor Bill White has thrown at the City's that contain these chemical plant factories/ facilities. Maybe i'm just hopeful to see my city improve.

wait til later in the year and see if you still say this. right now, the weather conditions have helped. air isn't stagnant which means the pollution is dispersed. at this point mayor white hasn't done anything. so far just planning.

wait til later in the year and see if you still say this. right now, the weather conditions have helped. air isn't stagnant which means the pollution is dispersed. at this point mayor white hasn't done anything. so far just planning.

Rain doesn't hurt, either.

Once it gets warmer, the VOCs and NOx will cook to create more smog.

Guest Marty

I would say "yes" most definitely. My friends and I would smell the refineries in Pasadena in the early 1980's several times a week around the Aldine Westfield & Little York area but slowly the smell subsided, by the time I moved in 1994 you can only smell it within a 1/4 of a mile from Halls bayou because the pollution would flow up wind through the channels like canyons in West Texas.

I would say "yes" most definitely. My friends and I would smell the refineries in Pasadena in the early 1980's several times a week around the Aldine Westfield & Little York area but slowly the smell subsided, by the time I moved in 1994 you can only smell it within a 1/4 of a mile from Halls bayou because the pollution would flow up wind through the channels like canyons in West Texas.

In that context, you are correct that the air quality has improved.

Archived