It's funny to see how the Texans' start is viewed by the national media:

"Impressive win over the Chiefs, but the first true test is next week at Carolina."

"Impressive win over Carolina, but the first true test is next week against Indy." :rolleyes:

Maybe the Texans are just pretty darn good after all?

It was areally good game.Dalas did well also. The new coach for the TEXANS is from Houston.

Dallas blows Chunks, and I didn't even know they HAD a mascot !

Please go whine about Dallas somewhere else, this is the Texans thread, it's not about any other "team" or teams in the NFL. Texans only please.

Texans = 2008 Playoffs.

Edited by TJones

It's funny to see how the Texans' start is viewed by the national media:

"Impressive win over the Chiefs, but the first true test is next week at Carolina."

"Impressive win over Carolina, but the first true test is next week against Indy." :rolleyes:

Maybe the Texans are just pretty darn good after all?

At 2-14 the Texans were pretty good. right now they are starting to put together a team. Kube is getting his scheme in place and getting the missing pieces to the puzzle. Indy will be a heck of a test to see how the Defense holds up against a real field general, that reads defenses like most people read the Chronicle, and calls audibles to adjust to them as well as any QB in the league. The ability to adjust is the key to success. New Orleans had Peyton Manning's number in the first half when they played, Peyton took them apart in the second half. The Texans ability to adjust to Indy will be tested, but all teams are tested any time they take the field.

Kube is a student of the game. if the front office leaves him alone and supports all his efforts, he will build a team like Houston has never seen. A team that is in the playoffs every year, not just a flash in the pan.

On a side note, did anyone see the HBO Bob Costas special and the interview with Earl Campbell? That was truly sad to see the most punishing runner ever to strap on pads, reduced to the state he is in now. And the way he takes it all in stride, like it was suppose to be this way is truly amazing. I really lost some respect for Bum Phillips when Costas asked him point blank if he felt he may have run Earl into the ground, or if he felt any remorse. Bum sat there and said "Nope". I just sat there in disbelief at the smug answer. It was truly sad.

On a side note, did anyone see the HBO Bob Costas special and the interview with Earl Campbell? That was truly sad to see the most punishing runner ever to strap on pads, reduced to the state he is in now. And the way he takes it all in stride, like it was suppose to be this way is truly amazing. I really lost some respect for Bum Phillips when Costas asked him point blank if he felt he may have run Earl into the ground, or if he felt any remorse. Bum sat there and said "Nope". I just sat there in disbelief at the smug answer. It was truly sad.

No, I didn't catch it, but Earl is certainly THE cautionary tale that every RB today has in the back of their mind.

EC certainly was a punishing rusher, we just had no idea that he was the one getting punished.

John McClain said on the radio a month or so ago that the reason why he is that way is not b/c of football. He has some spinal condition that they didn't find out about until he was into adulthood. He said if the doctors would have found out about it before he played football as a kid, they never would have let him played.
It's funny to see how the Texans' start is viewed by the national media:"Impressive win over the Chiefs, but the first true test is next week at Carolina.""Impressive win over Carolina, but the first true test is next week against Indy." :rolleyes: Maybe the Texans are just pretty darn good after all?
I think we need to realize that the Texans WILL lose eventually this season. And when they do, it doesn't mean that they are not good. I expect us to be competitive next week vs. Indy and I have no doubt we can beat them. Our defense is pretty good for the most part. Heck, we beat 'em last year, and I don't care if it was the end of the season or not. We almost beat them once before too. We could always compete, it's just that we didn't have the pieces to put us over the top. Now we do.Does anyone else have those anxious butterflies in their stomach? I got 'em cuz I'm so glad we're this good, and I can't wait until this season continues to see how we do the rest of the year.This is really fun so far. And I love being the only Texans fan in the sports bar over here, while all those other band wagon fans are watching their teams lose or struggle.

Indy is TOAST. Of course we are gonna lose a couple of games. We aren't the '72 Vikings or the '85 Bears. We are simply a young team with some explosive talent that has the absolute best coach to be able to bring that talent out of them. We have players that WANT to play for Kubiak. A quarterback that the offense respects, and a trio on defense that makes even the weaker players on our "D" look like probowlers right now. Need some work on Faggins, and some more O-line strength, other than that, the team looks pretty solid.

Edited by TJones

Indy is TOAST. Of course we are gonna lose a couple of games. We aren;t the '72 Vikings or the '85 Bears. We are simply a young team with some explosive talent that has the absolute best coach to be able to bring that talent out of them. We have players that WANT to play for Kubiak. A quarterback that the offense respects, and a trio on defense that makes even the weaker players on our "D" look like probowlers right now. Need some work on Faggins, and some more O-line strength, other than that, the team looks pretty solid.

I agree Faggins needs some work, but he's still adequate, I think...I hope. But Steve Smith is just unbelievable. If it came down to it, it'd be hard to pick between him and Andre...hypothetically of course. The guy is just awesome and so explosive.

Plus, I don't know why Dunta wasn't covering him every play. Anyone know what the logic behind that might have been?

I agree Faggins needs some work, but he's still adequate, I think...I hope. But Steve Smith is just unbelievable. If it came down to it, it'd be hard to pick between him and Andre...hypothetically of course. The guy is just awesome and so explosive.

Plus, I don't know why Dunta wasn't covering him every play. Anyone know what the logic behind that might have been?

That's why kubiak made the adjustment. He gave Faggins a chance and he couldn't deliver. Good caoching, good coaching.

That's why kubiak made the adjustment. He gave Faggins a chance and he couldn't deliver. Good caoching, good coaching.

Nothing against Faggins, but I don't think he's nearly as good as Dunta. He's our best corner; a first rounder. He should always be covering the other teams best reciever.

I love football, but never played, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the X's and O's. But could it have been that he was covering him by default, b/c they each have their own side and that's just where Smith lined up?

Nothing against Faggins, but I don't think he's nearly as good as Dunta. He's our best corner; a first rounder. He should always be covering the other teams best reciever.

I love football, but never played, so I don't know all the ins and outs of the X's and O's. But could it have been that he was covering him by default, b/c they each have their own side and that's just where Smith lined up?

Well, we had to make the adjustment. Carolina knew that Faggins would be weak against Smith, so they were calling plays to capitalize on that. Yes, Faggins and Dunta have their positions, but Kubiak gave Faggins a chance, and Carolina capitalized and exploited the weakness early, but we caught it in time.

John McClain said on the radio a month or so ago that the reason why he is that way is not b/c of football. He has some spinal condition that they didn't find out about until he was into adulthood. He said if the doctors would have found out about it before he played football as a kid, they never would have let him played.

Oh well hell if Dr. McClain says so than I guess it must be true! John McClain is a sports writer and a fair sports writer at best.

They tried to give the same BS answer during the interview with Costas. Frankly I am not buying it. Earl loves football more than life itself, and will do anything to protect the integrity of the game. Sure he made a decision to play a sport that is in risk of crippling you for life, but to dismiss it as not fault of the game is idiocy. You are saying that at 52 years old Earl would be this way if he'd never played a down of ball? Please, give me a break. Earl is this way as a direct result of the game, they just won't shoulder any blame. There are ex-NFL player scattered all over that can barely walk. They are like race horses, once they are done with them they are put out to pasture and forgotten. You can't legally send humans to the soap factory like you can horses or they would. And pricks like Gene Upshaw sit up in his ivory tower and has the nerve to say he represents the NFL Players Association. Upshaw is the representative for the NFL owners ass, and posing as the other. Sitting on a multi-billion dollar pension fund that does nothing for the players from the past. Upshaw is the Owners house boy, who they pay to keep the current players from ever striking again. That about killed the NFL. They can ill afford to ever let that happen again.

Oh well hell if Dr. McClain says so than I guess it must be true! John McClain is a sports writer and a fair sports writer at best.

I don't think McClan made the diagnosis. He's just relaying the information.

And I should have mentioned that I don't believe football had nothing to do with his current conditions. It does. I remember seeing clips a couple years ago of Jerome Bettis walking on a Monday morning. It was not pretty.

At the same time, I wouldn't totally neglect the consideration of his condition.

But did they really talk about it on that HBO special too? Did Costas have anything interesting to say in response, or did he just swallow it?

Press Conference video:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80265934

Game Highlights:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80263c00

Panthers Post game press conference:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80263c4c

And how big was that fourth down conversion?! That pass could not have been more perfect and it was a great catch too. Big play.

Edited by lockmat

The most important play of the game was Kubiak 's challenge of the "interception" down inside the 10. If that ball hadn't have hit the ground, the score may have been different. Kube is THE MAN !

Yeah, live it looked like an INT. Very good replay.

But since I was at Fox & Hound, I couldn't hear the commentators talk about Owen Daniel's fumble. From the replay, it looked like he was down, to me at least. Did the commentators disagree w/ the fumble call? Had we not fumbled that, the score would have really been one sided.

Oh, ok. I like how CBS has that spotlight thing goin on replays. That helps.

And didn't they replay that intentionally grounding call too? Wow, and they still blew it.

Texans get a A+ grade from cbssportsline.com:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/features/writers/prisco/grades

That call, I don't believe, is challengable. Schaub was clearly almost stepping on the hashmark when he threw the ball. It was just the reaction of the fans that forced the refs to throw the flag on that one, you saw that it took almost a minute to throw the flag. We dodged a bullet on that kickoff return though, the ref was right on top of that though, he immediately signaled that it was a hit to the shoulder. I would say the refs were on an even keel, just a little less than consistent on the day.

Edited by TJones

He was completely OUT of the pocket, which allows him to throw to somebody in the 15th row if he wants to.

I didn't see the play in question, but this is an incomplete explaination of the intentional grounding rule. Not only does the QB have to be out of the pocket, but the throw must cross the line of scrimmage.

I didn't see the play in question, but this is an incomplete explaination of the intentional grounding rule. Not only does the QB have to be out of the pocket, but the throw must cross the line of scrimmage.

Both happened in this instance, it wasn't a lateral, he threw it through the back corner of the endzone. It was an obvious throw away. Nobody on the Texans side was disputing whether he threw it away, they were pointing out how Schaub was OUT of the pocket when he threw the ball.

BTW, you missed a really good game CDeb.

Edited by TJones

BTW, you missed a really good game CDeb.

I was busy until early Sunday afternoon, so I didn't get to tune in until it was 34-14 and already decided.

I'm glad the Texans are 2-0, but it was bittersweet. I'm a huge Jake Delhomme fan (went to college with him). He's about the nicest guy you'll ever meet, on or off of a football field. Oh well, if the unthinkable happens and he gets benched in favor of Carr, it won't be because of this game.

The game against Indy is must-see TV, but I'll be in Cleveland that day, where there won't be a noon game on CBS (Browns on at 3). ARGH! :angry: