TC Energy Center: Downtown Skyscraper At 700 Louisiana St.

houstonmacbro

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think its a shame to lose the banking hall as originally designed by Philip Johnson. In my opinion it is the most majestic interior commercial space in Houston. Interersting when similar renovations were proposed for Johnson’s AT&T building in NYC the outcry was such that the building was awarded protected landmark status and was thus saved from any “improvements” on the original design. 

It's quite striking on the inside, but from the sidewalk the experience is exactly the opposite. This is a pretty sensitive update by the original architecture firm, and I think it will end up being a good example of addressing a building's deficiencies without ruining what makes it distinct. Of course, we'll see how it actually turns out.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, Gator80 said:

I think its a shame to lose the banking hall as originally designed by Philip Johnson. In my opinion it is the most majestic interior commercial space in Houston. Interersting when similar renovations were proposed for Johnson’s AT&T building in NYC the outcry was such that the building was awarded protected landmark status and was thus saved from any “improvements” on the original design. 

Apart from some windows on that side, I don't know that the banking hall is going to be that impacted, though it sits mostly empty with fewer bank walk-ins these days as compared to when it was designed. In the interior, there are two big blank wall that will be eliminated making the whole place more hall-ish.. 

On 9/8/2018 at 11:05 PM, Gator80 said:

The change to that building and the proposed changes to this building are much less drastic.

The changes here are a lot more subtle and I think actually enhance the original design. The proposed changes to the AT&T Building was a bit too far. Then again that building is more difficult address because its just so weird. Its literally a giant dresser with holes in it (which is what makes it an interesting post-modern piece). In our case the building barrows a lot of gothic motifs that can immediately be implemented in other ways in a redesign.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, Gator80 said:

I agree, although the most majestic interior commercial space has got to be 712 Main.

• 3 months later...
16 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Wow, this is great. I wonder if there will be some tasteful awnings to break up the flatness of the façade, especially on Capitol.

It's tough to see, but there is a steel structure sticking out along the Louisiana side where the new entrance is being constructed, it must be some kind of awning. If it integrates at all with the building, it should be fairly understated.   

22 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Right, forgot we had renderings, thanks. Are any bigger windows being punched into the façade on the southern half of the side facing Louisiana? This would be to the left of where Nate's photo cuts off. It appears from the renderings like they should be getting bigger there.

I think that is in the renderings, but they are not yet working on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was inside at this building today (Sorry no pic) and the construction walls are down in the lobby and the new interior windows are in. You can see the rough look of what this new space will be. I believe the exterior windows are installed too but didn't go out and look. If someone with some time and a camera wants to check it out!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They have removed the Bank of America Center naming from the building and were breaking down all the furniture within the former BofA location in lobby as I left today.

MVIMG_20190610_124100.jpg

Edited by jermh
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, jermh said:

Pure speculation, (please delete or move if this is the wrong place) but I'm betting Bank of America Center becomes TC Energy Center. TC Energy is a major tenant who's lease doesn't expire until 2030, and 3 days ago the domain tcenergycenter.com was purchased.

Link to the whois search that shows when the domain was purchased.

There's also been a TC Energy logo projected on a wall in the lobby near the elevator bank since they had an event a few months ago.

TCEC.PNG

MVIMG_20190613_120426.jpg

My guess is your 100% Correct.

It looks like the owners of this building were quick to act when BoA made moves to leave. Well done. This is a great building and deserves to be held in the highest regard.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jermh said:

Pure speculation, (please delete or move if this is the wrong place) but I'm betting Bank of America Center becomes TC Energy Center. TC Energy is a major tenant who's lease doesn't expire until 2030, and 3 days ago the domain tcenergycenter.com was purchased.

Link to the whois search that shows when the domain was purchased.

There's also been a TC Energy logo projected on a wall in the lobby near the elevator bank since they had an event a few months ago.

TCEC.PNG

MVIMG_20190613_120426.jpg

Great find!

• Like 2

TC Energy I have not heard of (I don't work in the industry) . . . TransCanada, however, I have.  Impressive!  It's certainly a signature trophy tower if you ask me, at least visually.  Only problem is it looks right only from a couple of directions!

Why not name it Keystone XL Tower?!  Well I'll take more foot traffic downtown, even if it's protesters 🤣🤣

Edited by mattyt36
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

They held a press conference later that morning. There was a decent article on it on the chronicles free site. Linked below.

https://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Iconic-downtown-Houston-office-tower-renamed-TC-14521396.php

tc energy center.jpg

PS: The Kolaches were decent...lol

Edited by Graystone
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Bank of America Center (Western Union Building) Renovations
  • 4 months later...

Phase II of the lobby renovation is kicking off construction 8/31. Exterior windows punched similar to what was done for the restaurant space on the Capitol St side of the building. Additional conferencing, a coffee bar, and two floors of office space added in the former bank lobby. 

Edited by jermh
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...