Texas Tech has already established their second medical school and yes it is in El Paso

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/elpaso/

Cool... wasn't aware it was already approved.

The Texas Tech School of Medicine was established in 1969 for the West Texas region and El Paso has hosted a regional campus since 1973. The El Paso campus has provided clinical training for a large portion of Texas Tech's School of Medicine for well over 30 years. The Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso is a new full four year medical school that will have its first freshman class start in August 2009.

So I guess, now there is a TT med school based in Lubbock, but still with 3rd and 4th year rotations in El Paso and a TT med school entirely based in El Paso.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update on the potential academic and research "powerhouse:"

We are writing to update you on the status of merger discussions between Baylor College of Medicine and Rice University – discussions which could

join our institutions into an academic and research powerhouse that could make huge contributions to health and prosperity here and around the world.

Texas Children’s Hospital is playing an integral role as these discussions progress. We have before us a unique opportunity for all three institutions, and others, to take a giant step forward in creating a world-class university and academic medical center that will serve our stakeholders, city and state well. We appreciate the enthusiastic expressions of support for these discussions that we have received from our various constituencies.

The advancement of education and research provides the primary impetus for the discussions, and we believe the resulting knowledge and discovery can improve health care and, in the process, create a dynamic engine of biomedical enterprise in the Texas Medical Center. The partnership would create a premier research university with unparalleled ability to translate new discoveries into innovative medical care that protects and restores the health of the patients we would serve, and of

people around the world who would benefit from these treatments and technologies.

Many issues remain to be resolved. Positive solutions must be found, for example, for the new BCM hospital now under construction and the relocation

and continuing operations of the Baylor Clinic. Texas Children's Hospital and BCM -- already primary partners in pediatric and obstetrical care -- are

working on identifying solutions. BCM also has important relationships with other institutions in the Texas Medical Center, including The Methodist Hospital, St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital, the Michael E. DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Ben Taub General Hospital. A successful merger would include strengthening those collaborations.

The proximity of these and other institutions in the Texas Medical Center is rich ground for such partnerships. In this age of bioscience, the results of that collaborative research offer breathtaking possibilities for the prosperity and prominence of Houston and Texas.

BCM, TCH and Rice are committed to this significant and worthy goal and we will continue to update you as the discussions evolve.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

BCM got ahead of itself, sadly. Med schools have such vicious internal politics that that can happen more easily than you would think for such large behemoths (they will also have a doubly hard time integrating outside influence). Endowments are going to keep taking hits for the foreseeable future, so it's a question of the extent to which Rice sees that writing on the wall and decides the higher profile name placement is worth the very serious risks. If they risk it, Rice will get top billing because reputation promotion is half the game. Rice University will remain Rice University; BCM will much more likely become the Rice University Baylor College of Medicine - indicating that it's one of the subsidiary faculties (a bit more like MIT Sloan, although there was no merger there, than a merged name like Case Western) - than simply Rice Baylor College of Medicine.

• Like 1

http://www.nacubo.org/Images/All%20Institu..._2007%20NES.pdf

"""Rice is the more affluent of the two institutions. As of June 30, its endowment was $4.6 billion. As of Sept. 30, Baylor's was $954 million."""

has Baylor somehow really eaten through 300+ million of their endowment? :mellow::huh:

Yes. If you compare nacubo's FY 2004 report, when the BCM endowment was $ .972 billion, to the 30/09/2007 one you link, when it was $ .954 billion, and then add in the statement in the back of their Winter 2008 print magazine that they have received just over $ .7 billion in philanthropic donations since 2003, they have eaten through a lot.

http://www.nacubo.org/documents/research/F...etsforPress.pdf

• Like 1

I have heard from a BCM staffer that one of the conditions of the breakup of the Baylor College of Medicine from Baylor University (in the 1960's) was that if the College of Medicine were to associate itself with another (then) Southwest Conference school it could no longer use the Baylor name. The proposed name would be something like the DeBakey College of Medicine at Rice University. Yes, the DeBakey name would definitely be used.

My source also said that the influential Jewish leadership of the Texas Children's Hospital really did not want to see Baylor re-associate itself with a "sectarian" institution (presumably Methodist or St. Luke's.) and that was one of the reasons why Rice was so attractive.

That plus apparently a lot of board overlap among Rice and BCM.

The time frame of this merger would be dependent upon substantial completion of the BCM hospital building structure so that it could be taken over by Harris County as a psychiatric hospital.

I have no way to substantiate any of this since I am hearing it secondhand. Just thought it was interesting.

• Like 1

I have heard from a BCM staffer that one of the conditions of the breakup of the Baylor College of Medicine from Baylor University (in the 1960's) was that if the College of Medicine were to associate itself with another (then) Southwest Conference school it could no longer use the Baylor name. The proposed name would be something like the DeBakey College of Medicine at Rice University. Yes, the DeBakey name would definitely be used.

That would be great. He has a great legacy with BCM, and, from what I understand, he had given (continues to give!) through patents of his inventions. We're not talking small numbers. :mellow:

My source also said that the influential Jewish leadership of the Texas Children's Hospital really did not want to see Baylor re-associate itself with a "sectarian" institution (presumably Methodist or St. Luke's.) and that was one of the reasons why Rice was so attractive.

Peter Wareing's jewish! Who knew? Oy! :D

Both institutions have had jewish leadership for many years. Actually it's a matter of business and business model.

Regarding Methodist

• Like 1

Yes. If you compare nacubo's FY 2004 report, when the BCM endowment was $ .972 billion, to the 30/09/2007 one you link, when it was $ .954 billion, and then add in the statement in the back of their Winter 2008 print magazine that they have received just over $ .7 billion in philanthropic donations since 2003, they have eaten through a lot.

http://www.nacubo.org/documents/research/F...etsforPress.pdf

Your own numbers show they have not eaten through any like $300 Million of their endowment. To the contrary, you show their endowment going down by only $18 Million; one would imagine they might have had some losses on their investments. Perhaps they've burned through a lot of other money; I don't know. But not all money goes in the endowment.

The fact that they have raised just over $700 Million in donations since 2003, while the endowment has not grown substantially does not really tell us anything either. Not all donations go to the endowment (in fact, I would venture to guess that most do NOT go into the endowment) and not all of that money has necessarily been spent.

A lot of those donations are probably for the new hospital construction. (For example Dan Duncan gave $35 Million in 2004 for a new adult ambulatory care center, and also pledged $100 Million for the cancer center; Neither of those amounts is likely to be in the endowment; first, because they are pledged for specific items, including construction and equipment; and second because, at least in part, they are pledges that may not have been completely delivered yet.)

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

That plus apparently a lot of board overlap among Rice and BCM.

The time frame of this merger would be dependent upon substantial completion of the BCM hospital building structure so that it could be taken over by Harris County as a psychiatric hospital.

I have no way to substantiate any of this since I am hearing it secondhand. Just thought it was interesting.

My sources say that the original plan for the BCM hospital and clinic is still a go; The real question that needs to be answered is what happens to all of the faculty at SLEH when the new hospital opens. I think BCM has the potential to take a large faculty hit when this happens. Some of these folks are perfectly happy where they are and don't want to leave.

• Like 1

Anyone's happy to leave the proving job to the fact (that tamtagon picks up on) that this is an institution backed into a corner.

really not sure where you're going with that. They may or may not be in financial difficulty; I do not know and have not expressed an opinion. And that is a quite different (although related) question than the question of whether they have eaten through a lot of their endowment.

All my post demonstrated was that, at least according to the figures you posted, they had NOT eaten through any significant amount of their endowment (contrary to your statement).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here' the full story link from the Chron.

Chronicle

In an e-mail to faculty, Butler said the temporary suspension buys time to acquire additional capital through philanthropy, federal funds and other sources, gives the markets a chance to settle and provides an opportunity to consider project partners.

Sources said that by not building out the interior, it

• Like 1

Here' the full story link from the Chron.

Chronicle

In an e-mail to faculty, Butler said the temporary suspension buys time to acquire additional capital through philanthropy, federal funds and other sources, gives the markets a chance to settle and provides an opportunity to consider project partners.

Sources said that by not building out the interior, it

• Like 1

Merger announced today. Rice will phase out engineering studies to make way for medical.

Dear Rice community,

Rice faces a changing world in its second century, and we must embrace the challenges of the years ahead not as individuals but as a community. Recent events have shown us that our future leaders will have to be concerned with the human element of the future, as well as the technological. It is for this reason that we have elected to move forward in our negotiations with the Baylor College of Medicine. We believe, and feel confident, that timely action will better allow us to prepare our students for the challenges ahead. It is thus with great pride, and with the backing of the Board of Trustees, that I announce to you our great institution's merger with the Baylor College of Medicine.

In addition to this important milestone in Rice's history, an addendum has been made to Rice's Vision for the Second Century. Although Rice has long been known for--and indeed committed to--providing quality education for tomorrow's scientists and engineers, we must continually look to the future in order to stay at the forefront of higher education. It is for this reason that a plan has been introduced whereby Rice University will transform, gradually taking upon itself another identity. As the global demands for healthcare continue to grow, we've chosen to make medicinal studies a priority--a priority that, unfortunately, requires sacrifice in other areas.

Although the details have not been finalized, a five-year plan has been approved by the Board of Trustees whereby the current undergraduate engineering curriculum will be gradually phased out to make room for promising medical fields. Our hope is that a focus on medicine will attract a host of creative, intelligent undergraduates to the Rice Premedical Institute. The plan also calls for modifications within other departments to emphasize this new direction. Although some might view these changes with resentment, we strongly believe that such changes are necessary if Rice's Vision for the Second Century is to be successful.

As is to be expected, the recent economic crisis has lent an urgency to Rice's planned changes. History has shown that maintaining competitive undergraduate programs in uncertain times is both financially risky and ethically impure. As demand for certain fields wanes, it is our responsibility as an institution of higher learning to ensure that Rice students study within areas that not only show promise but also are financially viable.

As always, Rice will continue to adapt and grow as global demands shift.

Thank you for the suggestions and insight that have helped shape our decisions so far. We continue to welcome your ideas going forward and sincerely appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.

With regards,

David W. Leebron

President

I also got that same email from Rice's president. The part that lead me to believe it was not true was where he said they are phasing out Rice's undergraduate engineering program. Besides that it sounded pretty believable.

Dear faculty, staff and students,

You probably already figured out that an e-mail you received earlier today about "Important news regarding Rice and Baylor" was sent by someone other than President Leebron even though it had his signature and listed "president@rice.edu" as the sender. Apparently it was intended as an April Fools' joke. Rest assured that no decision has been made about the merger of Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine, and we won't be phasing out the School of Engineering.

With regards,

Linda Thrane

Vice President for Public Affairs

Edited by Jax

• 4 weeks later...

Developments in the Texas Medical Center are not really mentioned here on HAIF, I wonder why...

3215155157_850ffb474d.jpg

DBRB-New-image.jpg

Pending approval by The University of Texas System Board of Regents, funding for the UT Dental Branch's new building will be increased to $155 million in what is believed to be the largest single-project capital outlay ever for the UT Health Science Center at Houston.

"After discussions with Dean Flaitz, faculty and students, as well as my own first-hand impressions of the current building, I wholeheartedly endorse moving ahead with the new building to house the Dental Branch, and I will devote my full effort to secure the additional funding," said UTHSC-H President Larry R. Kaiser, M.D.

Catherine Flaitz, D.D.S, dean of the UT Dental Branch, said the increased funding "shows the health science center's strong commitment to having the best dental school possible. We are most grateful to Dr. Kaiser for actively listening to our vision, visiting the present facility and responding in such a supportive way by allocating these new funds to the building project. "

When the Board of Regents and the Texas Legislature give final approval for the proposed increase, support for the new building will include $71 million in tuition revenue bonds, $63 million in Permanent University Funds, and $21 million in local funding. The increased commitment will allow the project to proceed in one continuous phase that will be less disruptive of day-to-day operations of the school, Flaitz said. UTDB's Executive Associate Dean John A. Valenza, D.D.S., said the increased funding is a tremendous boost for the project, but to realize the full vision for the new school, the Dental Branch will need help from philanthropy. "Alumni, foundations and other fund-raising sources will have a huge impact in helping us

To help complete the building as proposed, the Dental Branch has established an estimated philanthropic goal of $20 million, with approval from UTHSC-H. John Greer, development director at the Dental Branch, said the school already has raised $5.25 million for the building through the Open to Health fundraising initiative, which also seeks financial support for new scholarships, professorial endowments, community outreach efforts and dental research. The building plans are still undergoing revision, but some highlights include:

• Dental Branch researchers will occupy the fourth floor in the Biomedical Research and Education Facility (BREF), and more research space is being negotiated. The BREF will connect to the Dental Branch Replacement Building (DBRB) via hallways. Current plans call for the Houston Biomaterials Research Center and UTDB's oral pathology labs to be in the BREF.
  • Approximately 32,000 square feet in the DBRB may be designated as shell space for future use as clinical operatories, faculty alcoves with computer stations in the clinic, a small clinical lab, clinical conference rooms, one patient waiting area and a preclinical lab. Valenza noted, however, that as fundraising progresses, these shelled spaces may be completely built out by the time the building opens.
  • Under the current plan, all satellite clinics (Advanced Education in General Dentistry/General Practice Residency, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Pediatric Dentistry) will remain off site.
  • In the new building, UTDB admissions will increase from 84 to 100 DDS students per year, and modest increases are planned in the size of the post-graduate dental programs.
  • Surface parking will be provided initially.

Flaitz said the new building will be a core facility to build on, and the Dental Branch will have a list of high priority projects ready to go as additional funding becomes available.

The new building will be located in the UT Research Park currently under construction in the southern part of the Texas Medical Center south of Old Spanish Trail near Cambridge Street. Other facilities in the Research Park will include the BREF, the Neuroscience Building and the Center for Advanced Biomedical Imaging Research (CABIR), which is a joint project of the UTHSC and the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, in cooperation with GE Healthcare and the Texas Enterprise Fund.

http://www.db.uth.tmc.edu/newbuilding/default.htm

Edited by UpuPUp!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Additonal info..

The UT Dental Branch is currently located at 6515 M.D. Anderson Blvd. in Houston\\\'s Texas Medical Center. The facility has been home to the Dental Branch for more than 50 years, but the UT Health Science Center is building a new school a few miles south, off Old Spanish Trail. The project is currently in the design phase and should be ready for occupancy in 2011.

http://www.utdbalumni.org/s/275/index.aspx

As interim dean, Valenza will be responsible for overseeing the school’s patient care, educational and research programs. He also will continue to oversee the design and construction of the new UT Dental Branch building, a project he has headed since its inception. Pending final approval by The University of Texas System Board of Regents, construction is expected to begin in late 2009 on the university’s south campus.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/551182/

This sketch represents the proposed new building for the UT Dental Branch. This sketch envisions it as complete after two-phase construction. Some design changes may occur, as the timeline for the project is now shorter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uthouston/3215155157/

Edited by UpuPUp!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...