http://publicaffairs.uth.tmc.edu/media/new...ndbreaking.html

From UT - Houston's website

I don't think the Menninger Clinic is likely to be on this block. Aside from the Kroger at OST and Cambridge and the Marine facility, the rest of the block is owned by UT and MD Anderson. Menninger Clinic is a Baylor thing.

The Menninger Clinic aka Mental Health Epicenter will be built on 50 acres already purchased just East of The Power Center at S. Post Oak and S. Main (Hwy 90). Ground breaking currently planned for Fall 2008. There is additional land set aside for future expansion for research buildings. http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2007_4458082 ... www.miraclesinmind.com

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We are planning to send our kid (2+) to some sort of pre-K/Daycare/Montessori and would like to get feedback on the Programmes/Places around TMC area.

We need only 2 or 3 days a week and trying to find out whether that is an option.

Specifically, anyone has feedback on 'Childrens Hour Montessori' / St Nicholas school in Medical center area ? Also, I heard there are some programmes operated by Churches.

Appreciate feedback with a note about fees they charge.

• Like 1

We are planning to send our kid (2+) to some sort of pre-K/Daycare/Montessori and would like to get feedback on the Programmes/Places around TMC area.

We need only 2 or 3 days a week and trying to find out whether that is an option.

Specifically, anyone has feedback on 'Childrens Hour Montessori' / St Nicholas school in Medical center area ? Also, I heard there are some programmes operated by Churches.

Appreciate feedback with a note about fees they charge.

I recommend you check out St. Catherine's Montessori (south loop and Main). It's a wonderful school. I'm not sure about the price; it varies depending on the length of day, etc. They have a website.

Thanks for all the leads.

Does anyone know about church operated Pre-K/DayCare programmes near TMC ?

St. Stephen's Episcopal School @ Woodhead and W. Alabama

It's a Montessori School, serving students 18 months through 18 years of age. They have two-day and three-day programs. The 2008-2009 tuition schedule and program information is in on their site.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am about to host a party for 30-40 people. I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap place that would cater Fajitas and all the extras?

Thank you!

Los Cucos can do it all for about $250-$275, that's chicken and beef, beans, rice, flour tortillas, corn chips, red sauce, green sauce, cheese dip, pico, guacamole, sour cream. They may even throw in plates and utensils.

I usually serve 20-22 for $160. I don't know if that is a SPECIAL deal for us, because we buy all the time, but they do a good joband seem reasonably priced.

Edited by TJones

We use Dos Mas (in Clear Lake) sometimes at work... we discovered that if we order food for about half or 2/3s of the number of people, it's usually about right. For 30 people, we ordered "for 20" and I think it's $8 or $9 pp including all the fixings. That's the cheapest I've ever seen.

I've called a few places inside the loop, and most fajitas are $12+ per person.

I have used La Tapatia on Richmond (their website is down right now, but their prices are online). When I called, for a group of 25, they recommended that I NOT get fajitas, and get appetizers instead... I did that, and it was like $120... fajitas would have been a lot more. The appetizers went over really well too.

Hope that helps...

We use Dos Mas (in Clear Lake) sometimes at work... we discovered that if we order food for about half or 2/3s of the number of people, it's usually about right. For 30 people, we ordered "for 20"...

But that won't work if you're feeding I.T. or engineers.

Just sayin'.

• 4 weeks later...

TMC needs a good daycare that will cater for kids from 6 months up. I wish someone can open a good daycare in the area. It will be a goldmine. Some of those hospitals can even patner them for employee discounts, paycheck deduction etc., like they do with Bright Horizons in downtown right now.

My wife and I both work in TMC and have been looking for a daycare for our girl since Dec 06. The Montessori is not pocket-friendly to us. We're not so pressed because she goes to a home in our subdivision, but older woman just want the luxury of sneaking out to check on the lil' one.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6083117.html

"Rice University and Baylor College of Medicine have begun holding serious discussions that could lead to a merger of the state's top private university and one of the country's best medical schools.

A merger would bring Rice the reputational enhancement it has long desired and Baylor the security of a university affiliation, which is often necessary to keep medical schools afloat financially. Baylor is one of only nine stand-alone medical schools in the United States."

• Like 1

I think a merger would be beneficial for both institutions. Collaborative synergy and joint grant applications could create an even bigger powerhouse in the biomedical sciences.

Moreover, I was interested in the articles mention about concern over BCM's precarious financial situation, and the future of its President...

"
The possible strains have raised questions about the future of Baylor's president, Dr. Peter Traber. A spokesperson declined comment, but numerous sources in the Medical Center said his leadership is the subject of board discussion."

The BCM Board should discuss his leadership as well as their own. In just 5 short years, BCM kissed off a 50-year relationship with Methodist, then couldn't play nice with St. Lukes, then leveraged itself to the hilt to build a hospital in an ever-evolving and highly competitive, managed health care environment.

• Like 1

Heard about this possible merger a few weeks ago. Only problem is BCM is broke and obviously their leaders don't know what the hell they are doing so it sounds more like a "bailout" to me, with Rice acting in place of the government. Not sure if Rice can handle all the problems it would inherit.

• Like 1

Rice has directed more attention to medical research in the last decade. It officially became a TMC institution in 2003 I think. Thinking of taking over Baylor clearly shows Rice's vision. But they do need to iron out a lot of things, one of which is Baylor's affiliations with TMC hospitals. Without good practice sites there is no good med school.

• Like 1

Let's brainstorm a new name.

I'm voting for "Baylorice" -- Pronounced "Bale of Rice."

In all seriousness, though, if this thing were to happen, I would love to see it named the DeBakey School of Medicine at Rice University. Not only did Dr. DeBakey bring tremendous prominence to BCM, he assigned many of his patent royalties to the institution over the years. In so doing, he may be one of BCM's biggest, all-time donors.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, though, if this thing were to happen, I would love to see it named the DeBakey School of Medicine at Rice University. Not only did Dr. DeBakey bring tremendous prominence to BCM, he assigned many of his patent royalties to the institution over the years. In so doing, he may be one of BCM's biggest, all-time donors.

"Say it ain't so Joe!"

• Like 1

Baylor has a great national reputation and would be a nice fit with Rice's image. Too bad Baylor and Methodist had such an ugly split though. It was so ugly that I wonder if this is Traber's last middle finger effort to Methodist? After all Methodist announced the possibility of using their new affiliation with Cornell Med to help the University of Houston open a Medical School in the TMC tied to Methodist...

• Like 1

Baylor has a great national reputation and would be a nice fit with Rice's image. Too bad Baylor and Methodist had such an ugly split though. It was so ugly that I wonder if this is Traber's last middle finger effort to Methodist? After all Methodist announced the possibility of using their new affiliation with Cornell Med to help the University of Houston open a Medical School in the TMC tied to Methodist...

Methodist affiliated with Cornell because the "Best Hospital" rankings require a medical school affiliation... basically Methodist just payed to put the Cornell name on official documents and signs. Very little collaboration goes on with the institution in New York. The establishment of a UofH medical school affiliated with Methodist is an entirely different issue. Although, most people think El Paso is next in line for a new medical school (affiliated with Texas Tech, I believe)... and it is clearly harder to sell a third med school in the Houston area. But I think it will happen eventually, and Methodist's new research building and institute is a step in that direction.

I think BCM royally screwed up when they broke from Methodist... they lost huge numbers of medicine and surgical faculty to better paying jobs and nicer facilities at Methodist. Seems like their leadership is a mess. The ambitious hospital development plus a terrible economy has exposed serious institutional problems. They continue to be ranked in the top 10 medical schools though.

• Like 1

Methodist affiliated with Cornell because the "Best Hospital" rankings require a medical school affiliation... basically Methodist just payed to put the Cornell name on official documents and signs. Very little collaboration goes on with the institution in New York. The establishment of a UofH medical school affiliated with Methodist is an entirely different issue. Although, most people think El Paso is next in line for a new medical school (affiliated with Texas Tech, I believe)... and it is clearly harder to sell a third med school in the Houston area. But I think it will happen eventually, and Methodist's new research building and institute is a step in that direction.

I think BCM royally screwed up when they broke from Methodist... they lost huge numbers of medicine and surgical faculty to better paying jobs and nicer facilities at Methodist. Seems like their leadership is a mess. The ambitious hospital development plus a terrible economy has exposed serious institutional problems. They continue to be ranked in the top 10 medical schools though.

Texas Tech has already established their second medical school and yes it is in El Paso

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/elpaso/

• Like 1