HAIF - Houston's original social media

M.D. Anderson, Health Science Center break ground on research facility

Houston Business Journal - 1:46 PM CDT Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston are collaborating on a new imaging research facility.

The organizations broke ground Tuesday at The University of Texas Research Park on what will become the Center for Advanced Biomedical Imaging Research, dedicated to developing technologies that will detect heart disease, cancer and other illnesses at their earliest stages.

The facility, scheduled for completion in late 2009, is being built in cooperation with GE Healthcare and the Texas Enterprise Fund.

Link to article.

Wow, not only am I getting a 1.1-million-square-foot teaching hospital within walking distance of my condo and a connection to N. Macgregor via Cambridge, but I'm also getting a 315,000-square-foot facility just down the street! I was hoping for more verticality, but I can live with it.

Edited by TheNiche
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know you just posted the article, and I get annoyed myself when people ask this when news just breaks, but is their a possibility that there is a rendering for this one. Only reason I am asking, I feel I have seen it before. There are just too many renderings for TMC projects that are actually breaking ground, it is hard to keep track of 'em.

edit: nevermind, this sounds like a new one. Methodist has a similar building currently being built for the same purposes.

Edited by WesternGulf
  • Like 1
I know you just posted the article, and I get annoyed myself when people ask this when news just breaks, but is their a possibility that there is a rendering for this one. Only reason I am asking, I feel I have seen it before. There are just too many renderings for TMC projects that are actually breaking ground, it is hard to keep track of 'em.

edit: nevermind, this sounds like a new one. Methodist has a similar building currently being built for the same purposes.

By the way, I've been told that ULI Houston is going to have a luncheon from 11:15AM to 1:30PM on May 1st at the Westin Galleria Hotel in which the President/CEO/COO of the Texas Medical Center, Inc. is going to talk about all the new projects. Walter Mischer, Jr. is also going to discuss how he pulled off Memorial Hermann Medical Plaza.

That sounds pretty awesome, but it's not really right in the medical center though, is it? It will probably be connected by a shuttle bus I guess.

The northwest parts of this area south of OST, which TMC, Inc. is calling the "South Campus" have already been developed. They're still doing street construction and laying huge box culverts in the median of Cambridge for the time being, and the only shuttle service available is for the UT students that live right there. I'll bet that once this thing is off the ground, we'll see more extensive shuttle service...either that or lots of on-site parking.

Sorry if this is off topic, but why is this forum suddenly only showing one post at a time, and I have to click on the individual posts on the bottom to see them. I didn't read the two replies before I posted because of that.

• Like 1

The building under construction is at the corner of Bertner and the new, unnamed street which parallels OST and connects the new part of Bertner and Cambridge. It looks similar to the twin Red McCombs Early Cancer Detection buildings (uncertain of the exact name) located where Knight Rd and Fannin merge just south of OST--the only exception is that the new building has six floors and the twin buildings have 4. The Menninger Clinic will probably be located in this part of the Med Center or on El Paseo at Cambridge further south, although that site has been mentioned as a future Harris County Mental Health facility.

The #73 Metro goes up Cambridge and El Paseo and circulates throughout the Med Center. The Smithlands Station is about a 15 minute walk from upper Cambridge. Cambridge itself is completely impassible from Holcombe to OST and the city has spared the 15 year-old live oaks in the Cambridge esplanade just south of OST. The Parkwood apartments are history but the trees are still there for now...

• Like 1
The northwest parts of this area south of OST, which TMC, Inc. is calling the "South Campus" have already been developed. They're still doing street construction and laying huge box culverts in the median of Cambridge for the time being, and the only shuttle service available is for the UT students that live right there. I'll bet that once this thing is off the ground, we'll see more extensive shuttle service...either that or lots of on-site parking.

So how long before my neighborhood is the "Southeast TMC Campus"?!? :)

We were joking about that with a neighbor the other day...just as the 3rd Ward west of 288 has become the "Museum District", it's just a matter of time until South Union is the "Med Center."

TMC is definitely moving south, though...it's easier (and cheaper) for it to expand south than it is to expand north.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Strange how they have a whole windowless storey underneath the mechanical penthouse.

By the way, I'm ecstatic about the research park. Houston has far more in the way of medical progress going on than just about anywhere else, but in terms of labs I haven't been seeing it generating much new work. Maybe this is because Rice and UH academics aren't spinning out that sort of thing like technical schools and the legacy universities in Northern cities are; but this and the Collaborative Research Center (unfortunately on opposite sides of the Med Center, so they'll hardly interact!) are a start.

Edited by strickn
  • Like 1
  • 5 months later...
http://publicaffairs.uth.tmc.edu/media/new...ndbreaking.html

From UT - Houston's website

I don't think the Menninger Clinic is likely to be on this block. Aside from the Kroger at OST and Cambridge and the Marine facility, the rest of the block is owned by UT and MD Anderson. Menninger Clinic is a Baylor thing.

The Menninger Clinic aka Mental Health Epicenter will be built on 50 acres already purchased just East of The Power Center at S. Post Oak and S. Main (Hwy 90). Ground breaking currently planned for Fall 2008. There is additional land set aside for future expansion for research buildings. http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive....id=2007_4458082 ... www.miraclesinmind.com

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Developments in the Texas Medical Center are not really mentioned here on HAIF, I wonder why...

3215155157_850ffb474d.jpg

DBRB-New-image.jpg

Pending approval by The University of Texas System Board of Regents, funding for the UT Dental Branch's new building will be increased to $155 million in what is believed to be the largest single-project capital outlay ever for the UT Health Science Center at Houston.

"After discussions with Dean Flaitz, faculty and students, as well as my own first-hand impressions of the current building, I wholeheartedly endorse moving ahead with the new building to house the Dental Branch, and I will devote my full effort to secure the additional funding," said UTHSC-H President Larry R. Kaiser, M.D.

Catherine Flaitz, D.D.S, dean of the UT Dental Branch, said the increased funding "shows the health science center's strong commitment to having the best dental school possible. We are most grateful to Dr. Kaiser for actively listening to our vision, visiting the present facility and responding in such a supportive way by allocating these new funds to the building project. "

When the Board of Regents and the Texas Legislature give final approval for the proposed increase, support for the new building will include $71 million in tuition revenue bonds, $63 million in Permanent University Funds, and $21 million in local funding. The increased commitment will allow the project to proceed in one continuous phase that will be less disruptive of day-to-day operations of the school, Flaitz said. UTDB's Executive Associate Dean John A. Valenza, D.D.S., said the increased funding is a tremendous boost for the project, but to realize the full vision for the new school, the Dental Branch will need help from philanthropy. "Alumni, foundations and other fund-raising sources will have a huge impact in helping us

To help complete the building as proposed, the Dental Branch has established an estimated philanthropic goal of $20 million, with approval from UTHSC-H. John Greer, development director at the Dental Branch, said the school already has raised $5.25 million for the building through the Open to Health fundraising initiative, which also seeks financial support for new scholarships, professorial endowments, community outreach efforts and dental research. The building plans are still undergoing revision, but some highlights include:

• Dental Branch researchers will occupy the fourth floor in the Biomedical Research and Education Facility (BREF), and more research space is being negotiated. The BREF will connect to the Dental Branch Replacement Building (DBRB) via hallways. Current plans call for the Houston Biomaterials Research Center and UTDB's oral pathology labs to be in the BREF.
  • Approximately 32,000 square feet in the DBRB may be designated as shell space for future use as clinical operatories, faculty alcoves with computer stations in the clinic, a small clinical lab, clinical conference rooms, one patient waiting area and a preclinical lab. Valenza noted, however, that as fundraising progresses, these shelled spaces may be completely built out by the time the building opens.
  • Under the current plan, all satellite clinics (Advanced Education in General Dentistry/General Practice Residency, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Pediatric Dentistry) will remain off site.
  • In the new building, UTDB admissions will increase from 84 to 100 DDS students per year, and modest increases are planned in the size of the post-graduate dental programs.
  • Surface parking will be provided initially.

Flaitz said the new building will be a core facility to build on, and the Dental Branch will have a list of high priority projects ready to go as additional funding becomes available.

The new building will be located in the UT Research Park currently under construction in the southern part of the Texas Medical Center south of Old Spanish Trail near Cambridge Street. Other facilities in the Research Park will include the BREF, the Neuroscience Building and the Center for Advanced Biomedical Imaging Research (CABIR), which is a joint project of the UTHSC and the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, in cooperation with GE Healthcare and the Texas Enterprise Fund.

http://www.db.uth.tmc.edu/newbuilding/default.htm

Edited by UpuPUp!
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Additonal info..

The UT Dental Branch is currently located at 6515 M.D. Anderson Blvd. in Houston\\\'s Texas Medical Center. The facility has been home to the Dental Branch for more than 50 years, but the UT Health Science Center is building a new school a few miles south, off Old Spanish Trail. The project is currently in the design phase and should be ready for occupancy in 2011.

http://www.utdbalumni.org/s/275/index.aspx

As interim dean, Valenza will be responsible for overseeing the school’s patient care, educational and research programs. He also will continue to oversee the design and construction of the new UT Dental Branch building, a project he has headed since its inception. Pending final approval by The University of Texas System Board of Regents, construction is expected to begin in late 2009 on the university’s south campus.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/view/551182/

This sketch represents the proposed new building for the UT Dental Branch. This sketch envisions it as complete after two-phase construction. Some design changes may occur, as the timeline for the project is now shorter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/uthouston/3215155157/

Edited by UpuPUp!
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://www.mdanderson.org/newsroom/md-anderson-to-expand-proton-therapy-center-.h00-159305412.html?cmpid=fb_proton_newsroom

The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center unveiled plans to expand its Proton Therapy Center during a groundbreaking ceremony. The expansion will more than double the center’s size to more than 160,000 square feet – almost the size of three football fields – allowing more patients greater access to the most advanced and precise form of radiation therapy.

The estimated completion of the new building is Nov. 2023. The $159 million expansion will be led by Gilbane Building Company and will increase the center size to include a total of eight radiation therapy machines that rotate 360 degrees around a patient to deliver a proton beam to the exact area intended for treatment. The new machines, developed by Hitachi, will deliver intensity-modulated proton therapy, the most precise form of image-guided radiation therapy available. The expansion also will include an additional synchrotron, the massive accelerator that creates the proton beam, as well as rooms with improved design for a better patient experience.

1565208152214.jpg

• Like 9

https://www.gilbaneco.com/project/md-anderson-cancer-center-proton-therapy-center-no-2-gilbane-building-company/

Gilbane Building Company has been selected by MD Anderson for construction manager at-risk services for the Proton Therapy Center No. 2 project. This project is a free-standing addition to the existing proton therapy center which was built in 2004.

The Proton Therapy Center No. 2 will be approximately 110,000 SF once completed and is predominately a four-vault concrete structure with an attached structural steel clinical area and will be located adjacent to the existing Proton Therapy Center, with a service driveway separating the facilities at street level and a skybridge connecting the facilities.

The new project will construct four new gantries for Intensity Modulated Proton Therapy (IMPT) and will include the installation of new Hitachi equipment with the first gantry coming online within 19 months after the start of installation. The existing Proton Therapy Center will remain in operation throughout the project, requiring a coordinated effort to tie-in the future skybridge as well as utility connections, to minimize disruption to the existing facility.

With extensive experience in cancer center construction, working with over 50% of the nation’s top 20 cancer hospitals, Gilbane is positioned and uniquely qualified to deliver the highest quality proton therapy treatment facility for MD Anderson Cancer Center.

Quick Stats

Client Name: MD Anderson Cancer Center

Project Name: Proton Therapy Center No. 2

Architect: Stantec

Size: 110,000 SF

Date Completed: In Progress

Type of construction: New

Delivery method: CM at Risk/GMP

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, Purdueenginerd said:

I'm just picturing a lab room full of Proton Packs from Ghostbusters and a big danger sign that says "Warning! Dont Cross the streams!" 

Proton therapy is just about that cool. They start with water, split it into hydrogen and oxygen, then vent the oxygen. The hydrogen has the electrons stripped, leaving protons, which are fed into a cyclotron to increase the energy. Once the energy levels are achieved, the stream  of protons is sent down a wave guide to the treatment rooms.

The treatment rooms are pretty industrial, with a rotating gantry that carries the mechanism that sends the protons into the patient and a metal "bed" that the patient lays on. The patient bed rotates. Between the gantry and the bed, the right angles are created to treat the desired area.

I had 30 proton treatments a few years ago, so I've seen most the current MDA proton center facilities. Treatment is in the basement, with lots of thick walls and right angles.

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to UTHealth Research Park Complex
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to UT Research Park Complex Developments