deontological

blog [though I've got no alternative to offer]

character [elementary school spelling bee trauma]

yeah [to show excitement (I'm fine with yay)]

zine

ambivalent [misused]

frack [sorry]

And I agree with "pleaded" [yuck]

Could make one heck of an annoying sentence out of these words.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Supposively - Not a word. First time I heard it was when I moved to Houston from the shopgirls at the Galleria.

similar - Another non-word.

Neocon - So often misused that it's pointless now.

Unit - Instead of apartment or home.

Pleaded - This is a word that radio news anchors invented to use instead of "plead" so they wouldn't accidentally say "plead" while reading their scripts. Unfortunately, it got assimilated by TV anchors and the general population was similarly infected.

Broadcasted - Just sounds wrong to me.

Broadcast - Incorrect when people use it to describe stuff on cable (cablecast or telecast) or the internet (stream).

How about "nappy-haired?" I guess "nappy" is the new N-word.

Editor, you honestly never heard the word Nappy before ? Nothing "NEW" about it at all. But, yeah, you can't use IT either as it DOES fall into the "N-word" category. Even though it is just another word for "Bedhead". Go figure. :rolleyes:

San Felipe when pronounced "San Filipee"

But that is the traditional pronunciation. :mellow: I always associate that "San Felee-Pay" pronunciation with non-Texans who don't know any better.

What I really can't stand is nouns used as verbs. "Architected" "Tasked" "Gifted"

But that is the traditional pronunciation. :mellow: I always associate that "San Felee-Pay" pronunciation with non-Texans who don't know any better.

Apologies in advance for the native-born haughtiness, but - yes - it's traditionally "FIL-u-pee". (Just as, in Houston, bayou is "BI-oh" and not, as in Louisiana, "BI-ew".)

I can understand wanting to pronounce proper names as they're pronounced in their presumed country of origin, especially if you don't know the local pronunciation, but don't think those are "correct" pronunciations either - every place evolves its own unique pronunciations over time, and that's part of what makes each place unique. Bexar, Refugio, Buda, etc. - part of what makes Texas unique. San Felipe, San Jacinto, bayou, etc. - part of what makes Houston unique.

Anyhow, I'm not saying there's a "right" way to pronounce any of these words - I just like that Texas and Houston historically have their own distinct pronunciations.

Queef . . .please don't ask me what it mean, I'd rather not mention it. :blink:

spit1.gifOMG!

rotfl.gif

I hate the word "classy". Most of the time, it isn't.

I also hate when people start their speeches with, "What you have to understand is........." :angry2: No, actually I DON'T "have" to understand jack, buddy....don't talk to me like I'm stupid.

I hate this stupid trend of combining the names of a celebrity couple:

Brad & Angelina: Brangelina

It drives me crazy.

Also the overuse of whatever people think is trendy at the moment. Like "Bling" for example, still going strong.

I don't like the word "curd". I saw it on a poster at Whataburger while I was eating: "cheese curds". It's a disgusting word.

'Basically' when overused, i.e. "Basically, I went to the store..." Same goes for 'actually.'

Verbiage

As mentioned before, misspelling 'definitely'

Misuse of did/done, have/had, gone/went

Same can be said for people, especially thug wannabes using the phrases, "You know what I am sayin' . . .?" at the beginning, middle, and end of their sentences.

What I really can't stand is nouns used as verbs. "Architected" "Tasked" "Gifted"

so is the use of gifted here not really a word? He is a gifted young athlete.

Yes! The traditional Houston way to say it is San "Fill-ah-pee". Just the street, though--anything else with that name defaults back to San "Fe-leep-ay". It's a crazy town in which we live, but I love it anyway :D

Better than that, though, is getting newbies to pronounce Kuyukendahl, or Nacogdoches. :P

"ghetto," "diss," "leverage" as a verb, "synergy" and all its variants, "rims" referring to wheels, "executive" as an adjective. I already didn't like "ho" before the "ho"-le Imus thing. "Axe" used as "ask" (I hear this one all the time.)

marmer

Oh, how could I forget: "random" used...well, randomly.

Same can be said for people, especially thug wannabes using the phrases, "You know what I am sayin' . . .?" at the beginning, middle, and end of their sentences.

Bravo on that one!

Maybe we should start a "Catch phrases you hate"

Numero uno : When the media uses that stupid "and we caught on film" burned out phrase. Arggggghhhh!

2nd runner up: You want to Super-size that?

I was at a drive thru the other day when the cashier (with a thick Spanish accent) said it and it sounded like he said ...You want to circumsize that? :wacko:

That is fine used as an adjective. I was referring to usage like, "She gifted him with a new watch." Believe me, I've heard it.

as a transitive verb (must have a direct object), it would be ok. i would normally think of gifted as a past participle.

A phrase I hate, is "Cut out"

I talk to inexperienced car guys all the time, and they love to use the phrase, "cut out" to describe just about anything related to the car and a car problem.

For ignition problems, for turbocharger boost problems, fuel problems, etc.

Its such a generic, non descriptive phrase.

chubby (i see others feel the same), moist, crusty, and stain, to start. there are plenty others.

That pretty much describes my ex.

I dislike the use of nouns as verbs, e.g. "We'll workshop that,"

"Where do you office?," "Let me pause you a moment."

Anyone who starts a sentence "Look..." (unless it's something like "Look out for that car!") deserves to be slapped. Might just as well say "Look, stupid..."

People who misuse the word 'literally' make my head explode, figuratively speaking.

Pre Hurricane Rita Hunker down!

Fabio!

You said it! Hunker Down. How many time did we have to hear this. OMG Hunker Down!! It made me want to curl into a ball and ....Hunker Down!

Archived